ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport after sucessful MN1 application --help pls

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

drbvnprasad
Newly Registered

British passport after sucessful MN1 application --help pls

Post by drbvnprasad » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:49 pm

i am applying for british passport for my child. Received registraion certificate under mn1 form sec 1(3). Can anyone advice me regarding the documents thats need to be sent with passport application.

can anyone advice abt the check and send service.

many thanks :D :)

khankhattak

Re: British passport after sucessful MN1 application --help

Post by khankhattak » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:29 pm

drbvnprasad wrote:i am applying for british passport for my child. Received registraion certificate under mn1 form sec 1(3). Can anyone advice me regarding the documents thats need to be sent with passport application.

First child passport - supporting documents you'll need to provide

IPS needs to see original documents that prove your child is British. IPS does not accept photocopies of documents or documents that have been laminated, but will accept documents that are laminated for Braille labelling.

A birth certificate is not considered absolute proof of identity. Even if your child was born in the UK, IPS may ask to see further documents.

The documents IPS needs to see depend on where your child was born.

If you're still not sure what you need to send after reading the details below, call the IPS Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000.
If the child was born or adopted in the UK

IPS needs to see the child's full birth or adoption certificate showing parents' details and one of the following:

* section 4 of the application form completed with the British passport details for either parent*
* UK birth certificate for either parent*
* Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation for either parent*
* the passport that was valid at the time of the child's birth** for either parent*

Note*: if supplying the father's details, IPS needs to see the parents' marriage certificate as well.

Note**: if the passport expired before the child's birth, you need to send the passport on which the parent entered the UK.
If the child was born outside the UK

IPS needs to see the child's full birth certificate* or adoption certificate showing parents' details and one of the following:

* section 4 of the application form completed with the British passport details for either parent**
* UK birth certificate for either parent**
* Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation for either parent**
* the passport that was valid at the time of the child's birth for either parent**

Note*: if the child has a birth certificate issued by a British consulate or high commission, you do not need to send any other documents.

Note**: if you are sending the father's documents, you also must send the parents' marriage certificate if the child was born before 1 July 2006.
If the child was born outside the UK but has a certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office

IPS needs to see:

* the naturalisation or registration certificate
* the passport on which the child entered the UK
u have to pay for post office c&s service and they will check ur document s for any error and send it to ips i recommend to use post office c&s service for any passport app
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:17 am

My personal experience of the check & send service was pathetic.. the lady checking my kids application was not having a clue of what she is checking and was confirming with me about the documents with remarks - @Oh they need this too! I was not aware..."(!?!)

I have decided not to go for check and send service when i apply for my passport personally as with the experience i had it was clearly waste of my money... the document that comes with form is very detailed and if you follow the guidance you would not need anyone else to re-check (at least not someone knowing less that what you know.)

The one thing I have heard about Check and send is that if you use that service the passport comes in 2 weeks else it takes 3 weeks but i am not sure how genuine this claim is.

Personally I am not up for Check and Send!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

drbvnprasad wrote:i am applying for british passport for my child. Received registraion certificate under mn1 form sec 1(3). Can anyone advice me regarding the documents thats need to be sent with passport application.

Hi,

could you please let me know how long it took to get MN1 certificate from the date you've applied

drbvnprasad
Newly Registered

Post by drbvnprasad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:18 pm

waited 3 months

drbvnprasad
Newly Registered

Post by drbvnprasad » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:20 pm

do the check and send service return the orginal documents before sending the application ?

boloney

Post by boloney » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:39 am

drbvnprasad wrote:do the check and send service return the orginal documents before sending the application ?
No

Miraiza

Post by Miraiza » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:30 am

khankhattak wrote:

First child passport - supporting documents you'll need to provide

IPS needs to see original documents that prove your child is British. IPS does not accept photocopies of documents or documents that have been laminated, but will accept documents that are laminated for Braille labelling.

A birth certificate is not considered absolute proof of identity. Even if your child was born in the UK, IPS may ask to see further documents.

The documents IPS needs to see depend on where your child was born.

If you're still not sure what you need to send after reading the details below, call the IPS Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000.
If the child was born or adopted in the UK

IPS needs to see the child's full birth or adoption certificate showing parents' details and one of the following:

* section 4 of the application form completed with the British passport details for either parent*
* UK birth certificate for either parent*
* Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation for either parent*
* the passport that was valid at the time of the child's birth** for either parent*

Note*: if supplying the father's details, IPS needs to see the parents' marriage certificate as well.

Note**: if the passport expired before the child's birth, you need to send the passport on which the parent entered the UK.
If the child was born outside the UK

IPS needs to see the child's full birth certificate* or adoption certificate showing parents' details and one of the following:

* section 4 of the application form completed with the British passport details for either parent**
* UK birth certificate for either parent**
* Home Office certificate of registration or naturalisation for either parent**
* the passport that was valid at the time of the child's birth for either parent**

Note*: if the child has a birth certificate issued by a British consulate or high commission, you do not need to send any other documents.

Note**: if you are sending the father's documents, you also must send the parents' marriage certificate if the child was born before 1 July 2006.
If the child was born outside the UK but has a certificate of naturalisation or registration from the Home Office

IPS needs to see:

* the naturalisation or registration certificate
* the passport on which the child entered the UK
u have to pay for post office c&s service and they will check ur document s for any error and send it to ips i recommend to use post office c&s service for any passport app
I have just gotten my british passport through naturalization and wanted to apply for a passport for my son who was born in the UK. I am not married to his mother, can this be a probelm ? Please I need some advice.
Miraiza

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Possible, if you satisfy the "meaning of parent". Else, registration is required.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

kunald

Post by kunald » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Post Office's Check and send service is a waste of time (and money..imo). I went with my son's passport application and the lady had no clue about supporting documents required for a child with registration certificate (MN1) and both parents with ILR. First she said mother's birth certificate is a must (in absence of british passport) and without it my son can't apply for passport. I told her that me and my wife have ILR but she said that doesn't matter. She then called IPS and the person on the other side told her that I would need to provide the details of child's both grandparents. I asked her the reason for that as the grandparents are non-eu nationals and never been to UK and perhaps have no birth or marriage certificate to prove authenticity of details I provide. She said it would still be OK. Then she asked me to pay £8+ as fee. Told her that I don't have any of the supporting documents she mentioned which means I am not able to apply for a passport then why pay the fee. She said I would have to pay and she will give me a receipt which is valid for a month and if I come back within a month I won't have to pay again (thats what I was trying to explain that I was not going to come back to her for her pathetic knowledge on the matter). Anyway I paid her the fee and still have the receipt where she put in writing the supporting documents that I need to provide.

As you can guess, unless the application is very straight forward it is better to apply directly to IPS (which roughly takes 3 weeks) or if its urgent book an appointment in which case the passport is normally issued within a week.

My understanding on supporting documents in my case are:
1. Child's naturalisation certificate.
2. Child'f full birth certificate.
3. Parent's passport showing ILR (Only mother's passport may suffice but am not sure).
4. Parent's marriage certificate (Nice to have? or a must?)

Source: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... iew=Binary

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:09 am

kunald wrote:Post Office's Check and send service is a waste of time (and money..imo). I went with my son's passport application and the lady had no clue about supporting documents required for a child with registration certificate (MN1) and both parents with ILR. First she said mother's birth certificate is a must (in absence of british passport) and without it my son can't apply for passport. I told her that me and my wife have ILR but she said that doesn't matter. She then called IPS and the person on the other side told her that I would need to provide the details of child's both grandparents. I asked her the reason for that as the grandparents are non-eu nationals and never been to UK and perhaps have no birth or marriage certificate to prove authenticity of details I provide. She said it would still be OK. Then she asked me to pay £8+ as fee. Told her that I don't have any of the supporting documents she mentioned which means I am not able to apply for a passport then why pay the fee. She said I would have to pay and she will give me a receipt which is valid for a month and if I come back within a month I won't have to pay again (thats what I was trying to explain that I was not going to come back to her for her pathetic knowledge on the matter). Anyway I paid her the fee and still have the receipt where she put in writing the supporting documents that I need to provide.

As you can guess, unless the application is very straight forward it is better to apply directly to IPS (which roughly takes 3 weeks) or if its urgent book an appointment in which case the passport is normally issued within a week.

My understanding on supporting documents in my case are:
1. Child's naturalisation certificate.
2. Child'f full birth certificate.
3. Parent's passport showing ILR (Only mother's passport may suffice but am not sure).
4. Parent's marriage certificate (Nice to have? or a must?)

Source: http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... iew=Binary
Like most cases in life, the qualify of service depends on the competence of the person providing the service. I myself was "saved" twice by PO C&S spotting issues on passport applications. The £8 fee also covers the Special Delivery post (which is about £5) so worth going back to them to save you the post cost.

If your child has a Registration Certificate (Naturalisation is only applicable for adults), then there is no need to send the parents passports with ILR or the marriage certificate. He is British. The IPS don't need proof to establish that. It is needed if the child was born after parents' ILR and is British from birth.

Also if the child has valid foreign passport, you need to send that with the application.

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:58 am

Jambo wrote:The £8 fee also covers the Special Delivery post (which is about £5) so worth going back to them to save you the post cost.
This is either not correct or did not happen in my case. When i was there while i applied for my daughter's passport i used Check and Send and at the end the lady put the papers in the small thin and flimsy plastic envelope after folding those. Because it had Original Registration & birth certificates, which are MOST important document to prove to the law that my daughter exists, I asked her whether she can put those in padded envelope (which i was ready to pay for extra) as it is going in special delivery. She mentioned that this is NOT going in any special delivery, we put them in normal post and these will be filtered by processing offices because of the address on the plastic bag as they know it is passport application done via post office. if i want to put it in special envelope or via special delivery i will have to pay extra cost for the same !(?)! So it definitely does not get any treatment of the special delivery / secured post in terms of handling and from what she said i doubt the special treatment for delivery either.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 am

manyaonisland wrote:This is either not correct or did not happen in my case.
Well, the PO advertise it goes via Special Delivery (even if not Special Delivery envelope). See "we’ll Check your application & Send it by Special Delivery™ for just £8.17".

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:14 pm

Jambo wrote:
manyaonisland wrote:This is either not correct or did not happen in my case.
Well, the PO advertise it goes via Special Delivery (even if not Special Delivery envelope). See "we’ll Check your application & Send it by Special Delivery™ for just £8.17".
yes with special Delivery having their OWN ™! that explains or may be it was just my experience :roll: having said that i still received the passport within 2 weeks and documents were returned folded with marks on them! hey ho!

kunald

Post by kunald » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm

kunald wrote:Post Office's Check and send service is a waste of time (and money..imo). .....
Just an update....I spoke to IPS and they told me that if the child has naturalisation certificate all they want along with it is child's full birth certificate. I then went back to post office (with a copy of the email reply). They still were not convinced but when I showed them the email they spoke to someone on phone and then said OK. Now they put a new condition that the photograph was unacceptable as it had a light peach background instead of white or cream. I told them that its very difficult to get a perfect picture for a 5 month old...besides IPS is not that strict on photo rules when it comes to babies but she was adamant. Told her that I still want to send it at my cost (on top of what I already paid for check and send). She couldn't say no to that. Received the passport in 2 weeks time...no questions asked.

urdankhtola
Newly Registered

Post by urdankhtola » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 pm

Page 12 of guide that comes with the application forms (version 25.07.12 printed on the back side) clearly shows only 3 doucments are needed for "When you have been naturalised or registered as British" (1) 2 recent identical photos (2) Any other uncancelled passports relating to you (3) Certificate of registrations/naturalisation.

This page has a cross at 'Full birth or adoption certificate'.

urdankhtola
Newly Registered

Post by urdankhtola » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 pm

I went to London IPS office. The only document I gave with the application (First Britsh Passport for a child) was Registration Certificate. The lady asked me for full birth certificate but I said I didn't bring it with me. She said they might call me and request if they required.
I attended this appointment on Monday and had the new passport delivered on Wednesday same week. That's only 3 working days from appointment to receive the passport.