ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Study Visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post Study Visa

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:31 am

I have got a query. My friend was studying PhD and at the end of PhD examination process the examiners thought his thesis was not upto PhD standard and awarded him MPhil.

Now he is going to apply for PSW visa. Do you think he will have any problem in getting PSW? Has anyone been in similar sort of situation?

chick
Newly Registered

Post by chick » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:14 am

I dont know enyone in that situation. Sorry, not much of a help. But thinking that in the end of the day that a degree is a degree, so I dont believe that it would make a huge difference. The thing that I am confused is how come the examiners didnt give ur friend a year to sort thesis again and to have a viva again???? I had my viva, no probs, finished with a small corections and I sort them out within an hour. But so sure that option of a repeted viva exist.

Other thing is that HO officers can be a bit confused about ur friend study time ( he studied for 4-5 years and got a degree which usually take a year to do). So, if I was in his shoes, I will try to get PhD, he is almoust there anyway. He did lots of work, he wrote a thesis, not good one but it is a start. I think that a year on a student visa again can get him his Phd (he can applied as a writting up student- student fee is about 500£), get his PhD and then sort PSW. But thats me.

But like I said at the begining, a degree is a degree, MPhil or PhD, so it wouldnt make any sence if he doesnt get his PSW.

Take care,

CHICK

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:21 am

chcik,

I appreciate your comment. PhD story is not happy ending for everyone. He was given major correction and was given a year to do it. he has done it but still they thought it was enough. Sometime examiner are very funny. If you get a very critical one then you are stuck.

He will give a covering letter explaining the situation do you think it would be sufficient to obtain PSW.

chick
Newly Registered

Post by chick » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:26 am

Like I said, dont see a problem....MPhill is a degree....higher degree.....higher then MSc.....so, he can only lose 400£ (if he is applying from UK)....but I think it will be all rigth.... and tell him not to go sooooo wide in his letter.... usually people think that something is badly wrong if the letters are tooo long.... so, few sentancies and thats it.....

All the best

CHICK

Johnson02
BANNED

Post by Johnson02 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

I have swithed in-country from student to dependent of a student (my wife) few yrs ago. Therefore I thought it should be ok.