ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Tesh Question

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

nikitasha8

English Tesh Question

Post by nikitasha8 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:13 am

Hi All,

Not sure if I am writing in the correct forum but I have a question regarding English test requirement. I am on Tier 1 and my husband is on a Dependent visa. I am no way near to my ILR but i want to know if we will need to pass English Test when we apply for ILR after 3 years. I have already got a degree taught in Englisg which i am sure i can use it but will my husband need to pass an english test at the time of applying for ILR.

Another question is on behalf of my Friend. She is on Tier 1 dependent visa. Her husband will be appying for ILR this month but as she has to complete 2 years as a dependent she will be applying for ILR in October next year. I believe she has already given LIUK test but does she need to give any other English exam apart from LIUK.

I hope my question makes sense but please let me know if it doesn't anf i will explain again.

Thanks in advance

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:32 am

LIUK or EOSL is mandatory.

Though you have completed your education with English as a primary language, you still have to write the LIUK test. If you check the Set (O) form there is an entire section for "Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK" (if I am not mistaken Section 4)

Regarding your friend's question - If she has already passed LIUK test she doesn't have to sit any other English language tests.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:48 am

man4uni wrote:If she has already passed LIUK test she doesn't have to sit any other English language tests.
The requirement for passing the LITUK test is independent to the English language requirement.

If someone already has a English language qualification acceptable by the UKBA, then they only need to pass the LITUK test.

If they don't then they need to either:

a) Pass a English Language Qualification & the LITUK test
OR
b) Pass the "English for speakers of other languages" (ESOL) course which is meant for those who are not skilled or highly skilled migrants. This course includes English language & citizenship materials.

nikitasha8

Post by nikitasha8 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:00 am

Ok I understand that LIUK is mandatory for everybody applying for ILR. But Does my dependent also need to give another English Exam at the time of ILR? He doesn't have a qualification passed in english.

With regards to my friend: She has already passed LIUK test but she does not have degree passed in English. So as per below she does not need to pass any another english exam for extension (dependent of Settled person).

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 am

nikitasha8 wrote:But Does my dependent also need to give another English Exam at the time of ILR? He doesn't have a qualification passed in english.
It depends on whether he has another acceptable English qualification, it does not necessarily have to be another "qualification passed in english" as you state. See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/
If he hasn't passed a suitable English Language test or done the LITUK test yet, then he would be better of passing a ESOL course instead. I.e. rather than doing a English Language test & the LITUK test seperately.
nikitasha8 wrote:With regards to my friend: She has already passed LIUK test but she does not have degree passed in English. So as per below she does not need to pass any another english exam for extension (dependent of Settled person).
She will have to pass an English language test, if she hasn't already passed a suitable English Language test. I emphasise again, it need not be a "qualification/degree passed in english", people sometimes take other English Language tests, if she has and it meets the UKBA requirements as explained on the website then she need not pass another test - but otherwise she will have to.
"If your English skills are below ESOL Entry 3 level (or Intermediate 1 level in Scotland), and you are not a skilled or highly skilled migrant, you must take an ESOL with citizenship course and obtain a relevant qualification to demonstrate your knowledge of language and life in the UK. "

nikitasha8

Post by nikitasha8 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am

That makes sense now...thanks a lot for clarifying.