ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

residency stamps

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

walrusgumble
BANNED

residency stamps

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:17 am

can any one tell me the difference between the various residency stamps, eg stamp 1,2,student and 4.

is stamp 4 the best one in that you get residency without the need for a work permit.

if a student who is allowed to work part time, marries someone with a stamp 4 residency, and married in ireland, can they change their stamp. what is best stamp toget (ideally to stay without need for work permit) how do you go about it, what documents do you need,bar the obvious of marriage cert, evidence of living together, evidence of one's employment.

these people are from pakistan who have been previously have and still have legal residency. just student wishes to improve status, and later possibly naturalise/citizen. he has degree in it area doing phd or masters now (not sure which) and has been here for over 5 years.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:24 am

• Stamp 1 indicates the person has a work permit (either through a specific employer or holiday work permit)
• Stamp 2 indicates that the person is a full time student.
• Stamp 3 is a limited stamp which indicates that the person cannot work, or study full time in Ireland (e.g. spouse dependant)
• Stamp 4 is a stamp issued to people on work visas/work authorisations, and also to e.g. spouses of Irish citizens, refugees, people with Irish Born Child residency, people with long term residency status.
Last edited by scrudu on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:28 pm

thanks for the clarification and speedy response. i take it that there is no formal method of applying to the Minister for a change to a stamp 4.

i know the relevant department is on the burgh quay, but does anyone know what section the application should be addressed to? is it simply immigration deivision, i.n.i.s., burgh quay?

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:44 am

I dont know that just because your spouse is granted a Stamp 4, that you would be granted one also! As far as I know you have to leave the country to apply for a new visa to return, as mostly you cannot switch between visas (i.e. stamps). You should ring the Dept of Justice for advice.