ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

crcnaidu
Newly Registered

Post by crcnaidu » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks again for confirming

passionfruit
Newly Registered

HMRC penalty and naturalisation

Post by passionfruit » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:25 am

Hi,

I have a question about tax and naturalisation.

If someone has gotten an HMRC penalty due to carelessness in filling in the tax return (in other words, filling in tax return wrong), how will this affect the naturalisation application?

Furthermore, should the applicant mention the penalty in form AN? if so, where in the form should they mention it?

thanks

Ramz1483
Newly Registered

5yr + 1yr ILR, or Marriage to a British Citizen..?

Post by Ramz1483 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:17 am

Hi all, I am in a position where I can choose to apply for citizenship on basis of 5yr residence ( HSMP + Tier 1) + 1 yr ILR, or based on marriage to a British Citizen. I suppose it's good to have a choice! The thing is, I will also have to apply for discretion to disregard absences from the UK, as I have been away from the UK for 350 days in the last year... this is because I accompanied my husband as he was posted abroad by his UK- based organisation.

So here's my dilemma. I'm not sure if HO will disregard that many absent days, esp as they're mostly in the last 12 months... so am thinking maybe I have a better chance in one of those two categories? Are they more likely to disregard my absences and grant me citizenship if my application is based on being married to a British citizen, or based on my 5 year residence?? Help!!

Thanks in advance all ... Ramz

MAKKY83
Newly Registered

Post by MAKKY83 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:43 am

Hi, I've read through the boards but just wanted to double check I'm interpreting this right as my appointment with the NSC is this Thursday and I'm still unclear on one point.

I came to the UK on 14/09/2004 on a student visa and switched to a work permit on 18/08/2006. I was then granted ILR on 25/07/2011.

In question 2.1, where it asks date of arrival would it be from when I got my work permit on 18/08/2006? This is the date I used on my ILR application when it asked first date of entry into the UK on which application is based.

My concern is that based on that date it doesnt total 6 years (5 yrs on WP + 1 year on ILR) for naturalisation.

Also if I use that date, what would be the place of entry as I wasn't actually travelling? Should I just put Heathrow, London?

Thanks so much for your help!

john707
Newly Registered

Some questions about the AN form

Post by john707 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 pm

Hello,

I would be grateful if you could help with the following questions on behalf of a friend who is filling in her application for BC:

1. She first entered the UK 5 and a half years ago and was granted ILR in 2008. At the time she was married to a British citizen. She is now separated but not divorced. The AN guide states that for the purposes of the AN legally separated equals married. Should she submit her application on the basis of her 5 years of lawful residence or on the basis of her marriage to a British citizen?

2. Section 1.15: Should she tick the married or legally separated box?

3. On page 6, if separated=married, should her (former) husband's details be inserted in 1.31-1.36 or in 1.37-1.42?

4. Section 1.22: she passed her Life in the UK test when applying for ILR. Should she just the first box or/and insert test number? Is that enough to count as "confirmation that you met this requirement in order to obtain settlement"?

5. She is expected to submit all the passports held during the last 5 years. However, she does not have the first passport with which she entered the UK as it was withdrawn when she renewed it. What are the alternatives?

Many thanks in advance!

HappyToHelp247
Newly Registered

Post by HappyToHelp247 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:17 am

MAKKY83 wrote:Hi, I've read through the boards but just wanted to double check I'm interpreting this right as my appointment with the NSC is this Thursday and I'm still unclear on one point.

I came to the UK on 14/09/2004 on a student visa and switched to a work permit on 18/08/2006. I was then granted ILR on 25/07/2011.

In question 2.1, where it asks date of arrival would it be from when I got my work permit on 18/08/2006? This is the date I used on my ILR application when it asked first date of entry into the UK on which application is based.

My concern is that based on that date it doesnt total 6 years (5 yrs on WP + 1 year on ILR) for naturalisation.

Also if I use that date, what would be the place of entry as I wasn't actually travelling? Should I just put Heathrow, London?

Thanks so much for your help!
Hi,

You have to use 14/09/2004.
Home Office want to know the date of arrival in the UK, not the date you got ILR. I hope this answer your question.

thanks

HappyToHelp247
Newly Registered

Re: Some questions about the AN form

Post by HappyToHelp247 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:31 am

john707 wrote:Hello,

I would be grateful if you could help with the following questions on behalf of a friend who is filling in her application for BC:

1. She first entered the UK 5 and a half years ago and was granted ILR in 2008. At the time she was married to a British citizen. She is now separated but not divorced. The AN guide states that for the purposes of the AN legally separated equals married. Should she submit her application on the basis of her 5 years of lawful residence or on the basis of her marriage to a British citizen?

3. On page 6, if separated=married, should her (former) husband's details be inserted in 1.31-1.36 or in 1.37-1.42?

4. Section 1.22: she passed her Life in the UK test when applying for ILR. Should she just the first box or/and insert test number? Is that enough to count as "confirmation that you met this requirement in order to obtain settlement"?

5. She is expected to submit all the passports held during the last 5 years. However, she does not have the first passport with which she entered the UK as it was withdrawn when she renewed it. What are the alternatives?

Many thanks in advance!

If she is legally married with British Citizen then she can apply on that basis so she is eligible after three years.

Unlike divorce, a legal separation does not put an end to the marriage. During a legal separation, you have a court order that outlines the rights and responsibilities of each spouse while they are living apart. You remain legally married while choosing to live separate lives.

see answer 2

Just tick first box

P60 or Council Tax or Utilities Bills

I hope this answer your questions.
I have try my best to answer your questions but if you still not sure please seek legal advise.

thanks

ric1982
Member of Standing

AN form query

Post by ric1982 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:57 pm

I have following questions regarding AN form

1. Where do I need to provide expired passport Number on AN Form? I have ILR on the expired passport and the new passport does not have any stamps.

2. In section 3 (3.3, 3.4). Do I need to provide details of a particular person in the company. The problem is that I don't want to give individual contact details (of my employer) if possible.

3. I am going to leave the current employer after I submit my application. Is it going to be an issue if HO contact this employer after I leave this work?

4. I got following Tax office reference number and address ...
Ref : ###/HZ##### (where # is numeric)
Address: P O BOX ####, Cardiff CG14 8HR
Does it sounds ok or is the address or reference number should to be in different format (i.e. this is does not look right)?

Any help is much appreciated.

HappyToHelp247
Newly Registered

Re: AN form query

Post by HappyToHelp247 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 pm

ric1982 wrote:I have following questions regarding AN form

1. Where do I need to provide expired passport Number on AN Form? I have ILR on the expired passport and the new passport does not have any stamps.

2. In section 3 (3.3, 3.4). Do I need to provide details of a particular person in the company. The problem is that I don't want to give individual contact details (of my employer) if possible.

3. I am going to leave the current employer after I submit my application. Is it going to be an issue if HO contact this employer after I leave this work?

Does it sounds ok or is the address or reference number should to be in different format (i.e. this is does not look right)?

Answer: page 13

Answer : no

Answer: no

Answer: that's correct format.

Any help is much appreciated.[/quote]

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:33 pm

ric1982 wrote:I have following questions regarding AN form

1. There is no need to provide the old passport details on the form. You will however need to send it/bring it with you to the NCS appointment.

2. Just the company details. Not a particular person.

3. I believe it is very rare for the HO to contact employers in naturalisation application. They might check your tax records with HMRC and verify the employer name but not contact the employer.

4. Sounds correct to me.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 am

Thanks for the quick response...

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:38 am

1.22 Knowledge of language / Life in UK

We passed our life in UK test when we got our ILR. and we showed the LIUK certificate at the time of ILR. We still have the certificate which box we need to tick?

Photo for references
Do we need to staple the photograph on the form or can we stick it with a glue?

Section 1 Email Address
Do we need to fill the Email address in Capital letters as well?

Section 2.1 Date and place of first arrival....
Is this the date of first entry clearance for me which is 9 years ago on student visa?

2.2 Absences from UK during last five years
Is this from the date of application? Do I need to include the dates when I am travelling from/to UK when I calculate the number of days for absences?

1.17 Address for past five years
I cant remember exact dates for the address (i.e. on which day did we changed the address). I can remember the month and year. Does the addresses needs to be exact to the date?

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:13 pm

ric1982 wrote:1.22 Knowledge of language / Life in UK

We passed our life in UK test when we got our ILR. and we showed the LIUK certificate at the time of ILR. We still have the certificate which box we need to tick?

Photo for references
Do we need to staple the photograph on the form or can we stick it with a glue?

Section 1 Email Address
Do we need to fill the Email address in Capital letters as well?

Section 2.1 Date and place of first arrival....
Is this the date of first entry clearance for me which is 9 years ago on student visa?

2.2 Absences from UK during last five years
Is this from the date of application? Do I need to include the dates when I am travelling from/to UK when I calculate the number of days for absences?

1.17 Address for past five years
I cant remember exact dates for the address (i.e. on which day did we changed the address). I can remember the month and year. Does the addresses needs to be exact to the date?
Any takers ...

Prash2404
Newly Registered

AN Form - some questions

Post by Prash2404 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:52 am

Hi. I have a few questions regarding filling out form AN please.

1. Early one! Question 1.1. What is the 'Immigration and Nationality Directorate or Border and Immigration Agency or UK Border Agency reference numbers'? I'm pretty sure I don't have one? Is it something I would have got when I applied for my work permit and subsequently ILR?

2. Questions 1.18 - 1.20. Going through the Checking Service would not consititute applying through an agent, would it?

3. Question 2.2. I read on these forums that it should be filled as 'latest absence first'. Is that just a rule of thumb, or a must? I've already filled out as 'earliest absence first' (pretty sure I did that for ILR too) and was wondering if it was important. Should I redo that page?

4. Question 3.4. Should this be the address where I work, or my employer's registered address? My employer is registered at a London address and I work elsewhere in the country.

5. Section 5. How exhaustive is the acceptable professional list on the UKBA website? Can I use an actuary? It's not specifically listed but actuaries are professionals.

Many thanks

Prash

HappyToHelp247
Newly Registered

Re: AN Form - some questions

Post by HappyToHelp247 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:54 pm

Prash2404 wrote:Hi. I have a few questions regarding filling out form AN please.

1. Early one! Question 1.1. What is the 'Immigration and Nationality Directorate or Border and Immigration Agency or UK Border Agency reference numbers'? I'm pretty sure I don't have one? Is it something I would have got when I applied for my work permit and subsequently ILR?

You can find this number on any home office letter. e.g your Ref

2. Questions 1.18 - 1.20. Going through the Checking Service would not consititute applying through an agent, would it?

NO

3. Question 2.2. I read on these forums that it should be filled as 'latest absence first'. Is that just a rule of thumb, or a must? I've already filled out as 'earliest absence first' (pretty sure I did that for ILR too) and was wondering if it was important. Should I redo that page?

Please follow instructions, So redo that page.

4. Question 3.4. Should this be the address where I work, or my employer's registered address? My employer is registered at a London address and I work elsewhere in the country.

Please provide your working address.

5. Section 5. How exhaustive is the acceptable professional list on the UKBA website? Can I use an actuary? It's not specifically listed but actuaries are professionals.

If they hod qualification then yes.

Many thanks

Prash

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: AN Form - some questions

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:43 pm

HappyToHelp247 wrote:Please follow instructions, So redo that page.
Neither the booklet AN, nor the guide AN, nor the form AN specifies the order for question 2.2. Even if there would be such a note somewhere, Home Office will hardly fail you for listing the absences other way round. As long as they are clearly chronologically sorted, there is no need to redo the form.
Prash2404 wrote:How exhaustive is the acceptable professional list on the UKBA website? Can I use an actuary? It's not specifically listed but actuaries are professionals.
Similarly, if you made a serious effort and provided two references which seem to be reasonable, the HO will not trash your application because they are not entirely happy with one of them. They will simply send you a letter requesting a third refrence. Again, nothing to lose any sleep over.

gentlejuke

AN-Application filling queries

Post by gentlejuke » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi, can you pls help me on following queries in AN form that I am going to submit this week.

Section 1.1 - I am not sure on 'Border Agency Reference Number', can I leave this blank?

Section 1.22 - I have mentioned LifeInUK test number, do I also need to 'tick' 'I met the knowledge of language and life reqirement to qualifyfor settlement'?

Thanks,

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: AN-Application filling queries

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:57 pm

gentlejuke wrote:Section 1.1 - I am not sure on 'Border Agency Reference Number', can I leave this blank?
Yes. You can either use the reference number you got during your ILR application (defining the citizenship as the next step of an ongoing process) or just leave the field blank (defining the citizenship as an independent process in its own right). As far as I know, both will work just fine (personally, I left mine blank at the time).
gentlejuke wrote:Section 1.22 - I have mentioned LifeInUK test number, do I also need to 'tick' 'I met the knowledge of language and life reqirement to qualifyfor settlement'?
Depends on your previous application/immigration history. If you applied for ILR and submitted sufficient evidence at the time (like a Life in the UK test certificate) you use the first option (met requirement for settlement). Otherwise, you just use the third option (fill in the numbers from your test id).

Teban
Newly Registered

Names 1.5 and 1.6

Post by Teban » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Another basic question - I want to confirm about the names.

1.5 asks for Surnames and 1.6 for 'other names'. I have a typical 'Spanish' type of name with 2 given names and 2 surnames.

I do want my whole name in the certificate as Given name 1 - Given name 2 - Surname 1 - Surname 2

I am writing my 2 given names in 1.6 and my 2 surnames in 1.5

Is this correct?

Many thanks

Tier1_ILR_Applicant

Question 2.1

Post by Tier1_ILR_Applicant » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi,

My query is around question 2.1

I first entered UK on a student visa on 31/08/2003 but later converted it to HSMP (whilst in UK) stamp date 24/01/2007. ILR was then issued on 29/12/2011. Now the guidance notes clearly state for question 2.1 "Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis, and
the airport or seaport through which you then entered"

This implies that i should use the date when I got my HSMP and not the student visa as back then I was a student which does not necessarily mean I arrived in UK with a view of staying on a long term basis or does it?

Secondly if I use the HSMP date I am not sure what should go in place of entry as i was already UK?

Lastly, can I apply for naturalisation on 30/12/2012 (which is when I would have been on ILR for 12 months) but not the full 6 years it would be 4years 11 months on HSMP/Tier1 General plus additonal 12 months on ILR?

I would really appreciate your comments. Many thanks in advance!

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: Question 2.1

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Tier1_ILR_Applicant wrote:This implies that i should use the date when I got my HSMP and not the student visa date as back when I was a student which does not necessarily mean I arrived in UK with a view of staying on a long term basis or does it?
It does not depend on your intentions when you first entered the UK. When I set foot on British soil for the very first time, I intended to stay only for a few months. That was many years ago. Still - despite my plans/assumptions/thoughts at the time, that was the very date I started my life here. For the purpose of that question you give the date when you started to live consistently in the UK (which only excludes prior short-term visits like holidays). It doesn't matter (nor is it in any way verifiable) at which point in time you decided to stay permanently. Assuming you haven't left the country between 2003 and 2007 for prolonged periods, the date you are looking for is the 31/08/2003.

Tier1_ILR_Applicant

Post by Tier1_ILR_Applicant » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Many thanks Gyfrinachgar.

Could someone also comment on when can I apply for naturalisation i.e. 4 years 11 months on HSMP/Tier General plus 12 months on ILR = 5years 11months or is there a requirement of 6 years somewhere in the law?

pr81968196
Newly Registered

Post by pr81968196 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi,
In the form AN, page 4, section 1.17, where one need to specify addresses of last 5 years. I have gap of 15-20 days between 2 of my latest address. I moved from last address to new address after about 2 weeks and I stayed at my friends place.
I am married but due to my marital issues we are separated (not legally) and dont live at same address. Until ILR my partner used to live with me at same address, at the moment shes in india. Would I be ok giving her indian address where she live. Will it delay or create any issues in my naturalisation app?
Please suggest for the above 2 queries.

fais11
Newly Registered

Joint application on new form version?

Post by fais11 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:57 am

there is nothing mentioned abt joint application on the new version of AN form?

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: Joint application on new form version?

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:24 am

fais11 wrote:there is nothing mentioned abt joint application on the new version of AN form?
Please refer to Jambo's reply here.