ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 Short Term and Cooling Off

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

muchoo
Newly Registered

Tier 2 Short Term and Cooling Off

Post by muchoo » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:30 am

I have granted Tier2 Short Term Visa on 30th June 2011, i returned back to india on 27th June 2012 as my Visa expeired.
Ideally i am on cooling off period but there is a need for me to travel back to UK for some other customer but with the same employer.

What are the options available to get the Work VISA when my salary is already more than 38000K

Question:
DO i have to wait till 27th June 2013?
Can I apply for ICT Tier 2 Long term or any other type of visa.

what are the condition applied in any case
can you please give me the reference in UKBA website.

I tried to browse through the site but could not get the clear answere anywhere.

Thanks

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Tier 2 Short Term and Cooling Off

Post by manci » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:34 pm

muchoo wrote:I have granted Tier2 Short Term Visa on 30th June 2011, i returned back to india on 27th June 2012 as my Visa expeired.
Ideally i am on cooling off period but there is a need for me to travel back to UK for some other customer but with the same employer.

What are the options available to get the Work VISA when my salary is already more than 38000K

Question:
DO i have to wait till 27th June 2013?
the cooling off period applies if you want to apply in the T2 ICT Short Term Staff category. See para 26 of the T2 policy guidance

Can I apply for ICT Tier 2 Long term or any other type of visa.
you can apply in the T2 ICT Long Term Staff category without cooling-off but note that your salary has to be £40k or the appropriate min. salary for the job SOC code, whichever the higher

what are the condition applied in any case
can you please give me the reference in UKBA website.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... tier2/ict/

read para 22 onwards in the T2 policy guidance:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

I tried to browse through the site but could not get the clear answere anywhere.

Thanks

muchoo
Newly Registered

Post by muchoo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:02 am

Thanks a lot for Clarification.

lokissinice
Newly Registered

Tier 2 ICT short term starff migrant

Post by lokissinice » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:31 am

Hi,

I came to UK with Tier 2 ICT short term starff migrant which was issued on Jan 2012. My Visa expires this month Jan 2013 and I would like to know if there is any cooling period to switch to Long term visa from short term ICT? If there is any how long is the cooling off period?

Please let me know these details asap as I need to plan accordingly

I tried searching for this in UK home office website couldn't get any.

Thanks in advance
Loki

lokissinice
Newly Registered

add

Post by lokissinice » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:32 am

Also please give me UK home office reference link

Thanks again

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:05 am

lokissinice
Newly Registered

Post by lokissinice » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:44 am

Thank you for the reply Manci. But I still don't understand whether there is any cooling period is or not?

Can you please clarify to me?

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:55 am

you have to leave the UK when your T2 ICT Short Term Staff visa expires but you can apply from abroad for entry clearance in the T2 ICT Long Term Staff category without any cooling-off provided you have a new CoS and satisfy the requirements for the Long Term Staff category.

lokissinice
Newly Registered

Post by lokissinice » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Thank you very much Manci..!!

pradeeps_k
Newly Registered

URGENT: TIER 2 ICT SHORT TERM TO TIER 2 GENERAL

Post by pradeeps_k » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:57 pm

Hi,

I am on tier 2 ict short term (start date 18-may-2012 and valid till 17-May-2012) I am in Uk now. I have got other offers from other company and ready to sponcer. package is 40K

Is it possible to switch from Tier 2 ICT short term to Tier 2 General inside UK?

or From out side uk?

UGRENT PLEAES

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: URGENT: TIER 2 ICT SHORT TERM TO TIER 2 GENERAL

Post by physicskate » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 pm

pradeeps_k wrote:Hi,

I am on tier 2 ict short term (start date 18-may-2012 and valid till 17-May-2012) I am in Uk now. I have got other offers from other company and ready to sponcer. package is 40K

Is it possible to switch from Tier 2 ICT short term to Tier 2 General inside UK?

or From out side uk?

UGRENT PLEAES
In-country switching would not be possible.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... igibility/

You would be subject to a 12 month cooling off period. So, you would have to be outside the UK for 12 months before applying for a T2G.

Point 25 in the Tier 2 guidance:
a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) applicant in the Short Term Staff or Graduate Trainee sub-categories will be granted leave for no longer than 12 months; at which point you must leave the UK and you will not be able to re-apply for further leave under an Intra-Company Transfer category (other than in the Long Term Staff sub-category or if you will be paid an annual gross salary of £152,100 or higher) until 12 months after your last leave as an Intra-Company Transfer expired or 12 months after you left the UK, whichever is sooner.

pradeeps_k
Newly Registered

Post by pradeeps_k » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:49 pm

physicskate wrote:

or From out side uk?

UGRENT PLEAES

You would be subject to a 12 month cooling off period. So, you would have to be outside the UK for 12 months before applying for a T2G.

a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) applicant in the Short Term Staff or Graduate Trainee sub-categories will be granted leave for no longer than 12 months; at which point you must leave the UK and you will not be able to re-apply for further leave under an Intra-Company Transfer category (other than in the Long Term Staff sub-category or if you will be paid an annual gross salary of £152,100 or higher) until 12 months after your last leave as an Intra-Company Transfer expired or 12 months after you left the UK, whichever is sooner.
Thank you very much for your reply, Could you please clarify one more doubt that I have. the point 25 says " you will not be able to re-apply for further leave under any INTRA-COMPANY TRANSFER", it did not mention Tier 2 General.
point no 15 SWITCHING, at the end there exists 3 conditions or sub points in that "I. please note that Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer) long term staff granted entry clearance under the rule in place after 6 April 2011 cannot switch to Tier 2 (General)". it clearly mentioned for long term and no where mentioned for short term.

Can we think of any possibility, please advice.

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:13 pm

pradeeps_k wrote:I am on tier 2 ict short term (start date 18-may-2012 and valid till 17-May-2012 2013?) I am in Uk now. I have got other offers from other company and ready to sponcer. package is 40K

Is it possible to switch from Tier 2 ICT short term to Tier 2 General inside UK? no - see Immigration Rule 245HD(c)

or From out side uk? only after the end of the cooling-off period - see Immigration Rule 245HB(g)
UGRENT PLEAES

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:31 pm

pradeeps_k wrote:
physicskate wrote:

or From out side uk?

UGRENT PLEAES

Thank you very much for your reply, Could you please clarify one more doubt that I have. the point 25 says " you will not be able to re-apply for further leave under any INTRA-COMPANY TRANSFER", it did not mention Tier 2 General.
point no 15 SWITCHING, at the end there exists 3 conditions or sub points in that "I. please note that Tier 2 (Intra-company transfer) long term staff granted entry clearance under the rule in place after 6 April 2011 cannot switch to Tier 2 (General)". it clearly mentioned for long term and no where mentioned for short term.

I suspect you are reading into it what you want to read into it... T2 ICT short term is not in the 'switching' list. This means you would have to apply for entry clearance, ergo you are subject to a cooling off period.
"If you are not in any of these categories, you must leave the UK and make your Tier 2 (General) application from abroad."

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
points 520, 521 page 91.

pradeeps_k
Newly Registered

Post by pradeeps_k » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:05 pm

physicskate wrote:
pradeeps_k wrote:
physicskate wrote:

or From out side uk?

UGRENT PLEAES

I suspect you are reading into it what you want to read into it... T2 ICT short term is not in the 'switching' list. This means you would have to apply for entry clearance, ergo you are subject to a cooling off period.
"If you are not in any of these categories, you must leave the UK and make your Tier 2 (General) application from abroad."

points 520, 521 page 91.
Thank you very much, sorry I was not able to get any thing from point 520, 521 and they are not in page 91, might be because of older version. I am looking into new very which 04/13.
Highlighting thing is, I got some points form the same document, i.e. point no 570-576 which gives clear explaination of cooling period. it is not applicable if we want to apply inside UK before expiry.
Thank you very much for the link.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Manci and I have quoted guidance that says you are only eligible to switch after a 12 month cooling off period. You are choosing to ignore this. Apply. It will be rejected.

This guidance is to
be used for all Tier 2
and Tier 5 applications
made on or after
06 April 2013

A migrant can have leave granted for a maximum of 12 calendar months under this sub-
category. This means that if the initial grant of leave is for less than that, they can extend it up
to a maximum of 12 calendar months if necessary.
Where a migrant leaves the UK after a period of leave under the Short
Term staff sub-
category but you want them to return to the UK at some point in the future, they may be
affected by the Tier 2 cooling-off period if they wish to return under any Tier 2 category other
than ICT – Long Term staff. More information about the cooling-off period is in paragraphs
570-576

This means you can stay in the UK for up to 12 months. I have already showed you where it says you are not eligible to switch to Tier 2 in county. This means you would need to apply for entry clearance. That means you are subject to the cooling off period.

You can apply from inside the UK if you have, or were last granted, leave in one of the
categories listed in the table below:

Any Tier 1 category;

Tier 2 (General);

Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer: Established Staff) if you
are applying to change sponsor
;

Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer), under the rules in place
before 6 April 2010 if you are applying to change sponsor
;

Tier 2 (Sportsperson);

Tier 2 (Minister of Religion);

Tier 4 student
;

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) in the Creative and Sporting
sub-category, for a job as a professional footballer
switching into Tier 2 (Sportsperson)only
;

Dependant partner of a Tier 4 student;

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme;

Innovator;

Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme;

International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor the
Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme);

Business and Commercial work permits (except multiple
entry work permits) including Intra-Company Transfer work
permits;

Sports and Entertainment work permits (except multiple
entry work permits);

Jewish Agency Employee;

Member of the Operational Ground Staff of an Overseas-
owned Airline;

Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member of a Religious
Order;

Overseas Qualified Nurse or Midwife
;

Person Writing Up a Thesis
;

Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist
;

Representative of an Overseas Business;

Representative of an Overseas Newspaper, News Agency
or Broadcasting Organisation;

Student
;

Student Nurse
;

Student Re-Sitting an Examination
;

Student Union Sabbatical Officer

pradeeps_k
Newly Registered

Post by pradeeps_k » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 pm

physicskate wrote:Manci and I have quoted guidance that says you are only eligible to switch after a 12 month cooling off period. You are choosing to ignore this. Apply. It will be rejected.

This guidance is to
be used for all Tier 2
and Tier 5 applications
made on or after
06 April 2013

A migrant can have leave granted for a maximum of 12 calendar months under this sub-
category. This means that if the initial grant of leave is for less than that, they can extend it up
to a maximum of 12 calendar months if necessary.
Where a migrant leaves the UK after a period of leave under the Short
Term staff sub-
category but you want them to return to the UK at some point in the future, they may be
affected by the Tier 2 cooling-off period if they wish to return under any Tier 2 category other
than ICT – Long Term staff. More information about the cooling-off period is in paragraphs
570-576

This means you can stay in the UK for up to 12 months. I have already showed you where it says you are not eligible to switch to Tier 2 in county. This means you would need to apply for entry clearance. That means you are subject to the cooling off period.

You can apply from inside the UK if you have, or were last granted, leave in one of the
categories listed in the table below:

Any Tier 1 category;

Tier 2 (General);

Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer: Established Staff) if you
are applying to change sponsor
;

Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer), under the rules in place
before 6 April 2010 if you are applying to change sponsor
;

Tier 2 (Sportsperson);

Tier 2 (Minister of Religion);

Tier 4 student
;

Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) in the Creative and Sporting
sub-category, for a job as a professional footballer
switching into Tier 2 (Sportsperson)only
;

Dependant partner of a Tier 4 student;

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme;

Innovator;

Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme;

International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor the
Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme);

Business and Commercial work permits (except multiple
entry work permits) including Intra-Company Transfer work
permits;

Sports and Entertainment work permits (except multiple
entry work permits);

Jewish Agency Employee;

Member of the Operational Ground Staff of an Overseas-
owned Airline;

Minister of Religion, Missionary or Member of a Religious
Order;

Overseas Qualified Nurse or Midwife
;

Person Writing Up a Thesis
;

Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist
;

Representative of an Overseas Business;

Representative of an Overseas Newspaper, News Agency
or Broadcasting Organisation;

Student
;

Student Nurse
;

Student Re-Sitting an Examination
;

Student Union Sabbatical Officer
First sorry, If offended your point.... like everyone myself just searching for a small hope... thats all... Actual fact is... I have two offers, one new offer from new sponcer with 40.6K and second one is my existing employer (UK branch) is ready to sponcer (for different project/claint) if things are possible for tier 2 gen. it is very rare oppurtunity for me...., 40.6 K so trying my best possible way... hope you understand. please consider this as discussion...

In Sponcer guidelines for tier 2/5 (05/04/2013)

"
The Tier 2 Cooling Off Period
570. The cooling off period does not apply to migrants who are in the UK under Tier 2 and are applying for an extension of their existing leave or making a change of employment application.
571. The cooling off period will apply where:
a) the migrant is overseas and their previous grant of Tier 2 leave has expired or lapsed; or
b) the migrant is in the UK and had a previous period of Tier 2 leave, but then switched into a different immigration category and now wishes to apply again under Tier 2.
572. The Tier 2 cooling off period starts from the day after the migrant’s previous leave under Tier 2 ended. If their leave has expired or lapsed, this will be the date that their leave expired or lapsed.
575. There are a limited number of circumstances in which the cooling off period does not apply. They are:
a) where the migrant is in the UK and is applying for an extension to their existing leave;
b) where the migrant is in the UK and is making a change of employment application;
once again many thanks for your kind advices....

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:47 am

pradeeps_k wrote:Actual fact is... I have two offers, one new offer from new sponcer with 40.6K and second one is my existing employer (UK branch) is ready to sponcer (for different project/claint) if things are possible for tier 2 gen. it is very rare oppurtunity for me...., 40.6 K so trying my best possible way... hope you understand. please consider this as discussion...
As you are at present in the UK as T2 ICT Short Term Staff the options are:

1. for staying with your current sponsor/employer: leave the UK and apply for entry clearance in the T2 ICT Long Term Staff category - there is no cooling off but you would need a CoS with a min salary of £40.6k or what is the minimum for the SOC code if that is higher.

2. The new job with the new sponsor would unfortunately mean leaving the UK and waiting for 12 months before being able to apply in the T2G category

pradeeps_k
Newly Registered

Post by pradeeps_k » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:14 pm

manci wrote:
pradeeps_k wrote:Actual fact is... I have two offers, one new offer from new sponcer with 40.6K and second one is my existing employer (UK branch) is ready to sponcer (for different project/claint) if things are possible for tier 2 gen. it is very rare oppurtunity for me...., 40.6 K so trying my best possible way... hope you understand. please consider this as discussion...

1. for staying with your current sponsor/employer: leave the UK and apply for entry clearance in the T2 ICT Long Term Staff category - there is no cooling off but you would need a CoS with a min salary of £40.6k or what is the minimum for the SOC code if that is higher.

2. The new job with the new sponsor would unfortunately mean leaving the UK and waiting for 12 months before being able to apply in the T2G category
Thank you for your kind guidance.
Looks like Tier 2 ICT LONG TERM is the only open available as of now.
Just for reconfirmation, I have to leave UK and reenter with New Visa (new SOC code/ CoS with min salary of £40.6k). means cannot change my visa in UK what ever it is. Am I right?

Once again thank you so all for a great help..

Cheers,
Pradeep

manci
Respected Guru

Post by manci » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 pm

pradeeps_k wrote:
manci wrote:

Thank you for your kind guidance.
Looks like Tier 2 ICT LONG TERM is the only open available as of now.
Just for reconfirmation, I have to leave UK and reenter with New Visa (new SOC code/ CoS with min salary of £40.6k). means cannot change my visa in UK what ever it is. Am I right? yes, that is correct, but the salary has to be at least £40.6k or the minimum for the SOC code whichever the higher
Once again thank you so all for a great help..

Cheers,
Pradeep

norty109

para 575 d of sponsor quidance

Post by norty109 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:15 pm

Para 575 D says that Cooling off doesn't apply for ICT before 6 April 2011, Skills transfer, Graduate trainee and short term staff? This is creating confusion as according to this Out of country application under Tier 2 General should be valid if previous employment was under short term staff or ICT Migrant visa before 6/4/11?

manci
Respected Guru

Re: para 575 d of sponsor quidance

Post by manci » Sat May 25, 2013 6:08 pm

norty109 wrote:Para 575 D says that Cooling off doesn't apply for ICT before 6 April 2011, Skills transfer, Graduate trainee and short term staff? This is creating confusion as according to this Out of country application under Tier 2 General should be valid if previous employment was under short term staff or ICT Migrant visa before 6/4/11?
Immigration Rule 245GB (d) and (e)
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... es/part6a/