ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Citizenship Registration Application by Post

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

crazyvish

MN1 Citizenship Registration Application by Post

Post by crazyvish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi,

I wish to apply for my UK born daughter's citizenship registration using MN1 form through post. I know many would suggest me to use NCS. But I have no urgency or need the original documents for the time being. So I would like to save £45 by sending the application via post.

My understanding is that few of the forum members may have used the postal service, please could you share your experience?

I am intending to send the following with the application

- covering letter
- fee of £551
- Child's full version birth certificate
- Child's Passport
- Child's biometric card
- Copy of my passport and biometric card

Home Office website says:

Individual applications

You may apply directly without using the nationality checking service or a representative. You must submit either original documents, or a fully certified photocopy of your documents.
Q1. Could anyone tell how to get a photocopy 'certified'?
Q2. If you used the postal service, what all and what else did you send. Any questions asked?

Happy New Year and thank you all in advance.
Last edited by crazyvish on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

John

Post by John » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:02 pm

Save £45? Is that the amount of the NCS fee? If yes, you will not actually save £45, but admittedly there will be a saving.

In answer to your questions :-
  1. Any Solicitors office should be able to do that for you. Expect to pay £5 per item.
  2. Given that you are making a section 1(3) entitlement application, the documents you list are sufficient.
Another expense? You need to post the envelope to Liverpool using Special Delivery, and expect that to cost £5 to £6. Do not be tempted to post just Recorded Delivery, because the maximum compensation for that is totally insufficient, when posting important documents like passports.
John

crazyvish

Post by crazyvish » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi John,

Thank you very much your prompt reply. I understand what you say. I was thinking of getting the documents certified by one of my neighbours who is a magistrate. But he doesn't have any rubber stamp. He is happy to provide his job ref number and his mobile number on every document. Do you think this will help?

If the above doesn't help I am going to send all originals in Special Delivery with a prepaid Special Delivery envelope. The whole is going to cost me about £15. I also don't have to take time off from work to attend the NCS appointment.

Do you know whether NCS posts the application via secured post with a pre-paid envelope or should I expect the registration certificate back from the homeoffice in 2nd class post?

Thanks once again for your time.

nervous
Newly Registered

Post by nervous » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Hello everyone

I had applied for BC jointly with my wife and minor daughter in November. Yesterday, my wife and I received letters from the council stating that our apllications for BC were successful and that we have been booked for a citizenship ceremony. There are no signs of a letter from the Home Office or a registration certificate for my daughter.

I have 2 questions.

1) I believe that even if the approval letters from the UKBA are lost in the post, I can contact the council to arrange the appointment. Is that correct?
2) My daughter is not required to attend a citizenship ceremony. However given that we have not heard anything from the UKBA, but we know from the letter from the council that my wife and I have got our approval. Does that mean that my daughter's application has been approved as well? If so, how do I go about getting a duplicate registration certificate.

Many thanks for all your help.

Nervous

asim72
BANNED

Post by asim72 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:41 pm

crazyvish wrote:Hi John,

Thank you very much your prompt reply. I understand what you say. I was thinking of getting the documents certified by one of my neighbours who is a magistrate. But he doesn't have any rubber stamp. He is happy to provide his job ref number and his mobile number on every document. Do you think this will help?

If the above doesn't help I am going to send all originals in Special Delivery with a prepaid Special Delivery envelope. The whole is going to cost me about £15. I also don't have to take time off from work to attend the NCS appointment.

Do you know whether NCS posts the application via secured post with a pre-paid envelope or should I expect the registration certificate back from the homeoffice in 2nd class post?

Thanks once again for your time.
Why not ring NCS and ask them what they do?

linearkieran

Post by linearkieran » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:23 pm

Hi Vish,

1) I sent all originals for the MN1 application, but I used certified photocopy few years back and for that I just went down to a solicitor, he saw the original and on the photocopy he wrote down with a ballpen it is genuine and signed it.
2) If I remember correctly, originally I sent
  • my son's full birth certificate
    his indian passport
    my and wife's indian passports with indefinite leave stamps
    application form with reference from a friend
    photograph of my son with sign/reference from friend
I did not have to send both mine and wife's passports, either one's should have done the job but I did it anyway.

Hope this helps.

Chanda786
Newly Registered

Mn1

Post by Chanda786 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Yes I've sent my application by post with my passport , biometric card, full birth certificate of my son and fee ..if your child is under 10 you don't need references..

I'm afraid you have to send originals as you can't send certified photocopies if you are applying without NCS.. That's what I was told by our solicitors..

So I just filled the form and sent it with above mentioned supporting documents via special delivery...

I hope I answered your question if you still need more assistance please do not hesitate to contact me..

Regards

Chanda786
Newly Registered

Mn1

Post by Chanda786 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:35 pm

I'm the mother of applicant and I only sent my documents. One parent's Documents are sufficient for mn1 application..

Yes i filled the payment form which is available on UKBA website..

Yes 1 photograph is enough ..

No I didn't send any prepaid envelop with my application. .but I've got all my documents back securely on my address..

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi Chanda786,
..if your child is under 10 you don't need references..
Can you please provide a pointer to the guideline which says this? I am applying for my 3 year old daughter next week, and it would be great to now run after people for references, so I would appreciate a quick response.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

John

Post by John » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:21 pm

Have a look at the form MN1 ..... Section 4 :-
This section applies to the child applicant if they are aged 10 and over
John

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 pm

True but the referees are in section 5. The guide states:
MN1 page 21 wrote:If the child is aged 10 or over turn to section 4 regarding the character requirement. Otherwise go straight to section 5: for details about referees and identity.
I guess people have a view that the referees are needed to establish the child good character but the main purpose is identity, to ensure the applicant picture and details are correct. Referees are required in all cases (although as the FAQ state the HO are less strict on 1(3) applications made by young children).

Chanda786
Newly Registered

Post by Chanda786 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi inukonhsmp

I was told by my friends that references are not required for children under 10 but its not mentioned in mn1 guide..

so I supported my application with references but my references were not contacted by HO..

I had a approval letter on 24/12/12 and I sent my application on 26/11/12..

It's better to be on a safe side and give references..

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 am

Thanks chanda786, jambo and john.

I will go ahead and add in references anyways as suggested.

Thanks for the timelines as well chanda786,so i am looking at around a months wait.
Challenges make life worth it!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 am

Chanda786 wrote:but my references were not contacted by HO..
This is normal. With 200,000 naturalisation/registration applications a year, the HO can't contact every referee. They only contact a small fraction. Same goes for passport applications.

sharjeelpk

Post by sharjeelpk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:04 am

Hi,
I send my son`s application on 17th of dec 2012, Fee was deducted on 3rd of Jan, I send a postal application.
Doc i send was
Original Son Birth Certificate
Original Son Passport
Original Son Tier 1 dependant Card
Original Son Merriage certificate
Original Wife Settlement Card.

hope that helps

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:27 am

What's the point of certifying/attesting if HO/UKBA still need to run a check on the validity of the evidence? And nowhere in the guidance note says anything needs to be certified if applying by post.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

crazyvish

Post by crazyvish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks everyone for your valuable comments and replies. I hope this thread helps people in deciding whether to use NCS or save some money by making individual postal applications.

There is another helpful thread that wpilr_nov12 mentioned to me :
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... hlight=mn1

wpilr_nov12 wrote:And nowhere in the guidance note says anything needs to be certified if applying by post.
True, nothing mentioned in the guidance note but I happen to see this page on UKBA website.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... e/#header3

linearkieran

Post by linearkieran » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 am

My referee was contacted when I applied for my son's MN1.

khdmca
Newly Registered

Post by khdmca » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi all,

I am going to apply BC of my daughter on MN1 as she born before my settlement. Can somebody help me in finalizing her application:
Enclosed documents

1.Form MN1
2.Fee £551; do I need to add £80....?
3.Child full version Birth Certificate
4.BRP of father
5.BRP of mother
6.Parents’ ILR approval Letter
7.Original marriage certificate with English translation
8.Parents passports......... is required....?

Further she was born in UK and never visted abroad, is section 2 applies..?

Thanks in advance :wink:

linearkieran wrote:My referee was contacted when I applied for my son's MN1.