ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for in the UK or NZ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

uk4me
Newly Registered

Applying for in the UK or NZ?

Post by uk4me » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 pm

I've resided in the UK for seven years and have Right of Abode due to my mother been a United Kingdom citizen, I was born in 1978 and now the rules have changed I'd like to become a UK citizen myself.

However due to moving around the UK quite a lot in my time here I have not got a professional person that has known me for 3 years to sign the UKM form. My dentist who I'm currently using is happy to sign my form and I will have known him for the required 3 years in September, 2013.

I am going back to New Zealand (where I am also citizen) in August, 2013 for a month, mainly for my Civil Union. However, I was wondering if its possible to apply for my UK citizenship in NZ when I'm there? I can't find any information on applying for UK citizenship while in NZ especially who needs to be the two signatories on the application.

So basically would it be possible to get my citizenship while in NZ in August or start the process when I'm back in the UK in September.

Also my fiance has right to work in the UK on a skilled visa until September, 2014 will that affect my right to citizenship?

asim72
BANNED

Post by asim72 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:40 pm

If you are going there just for a month, then my advice is, apply when you are back in UK.

You could ask for a reference from a manager of your previous employers who might have know your for 3 years or more.

Whatever your fiance does has nothing to do with your application. You are not asked about if you have a fiance or not. You only have to mention your present/past spouse/civil partner. Even those wont have any effect on your application though.

uk4me
Newly Registered

Post by uk4me » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks for answering.

I'm self employed so a reference from previous employer wouldn't work. Have racked my brains for anyone of my ex clients who could sign and non of them are on the list of professionals.

Another question is how long can I expect the process to last from sending in my paperwork to gaining citizenship?

asim72
BANNED

Post by asim72 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:54 pm

I think you haven't thought through. Any vat registered company's manager can act as a referee. I am sure you can now find at least a dozen people who could act as referee.

UKBA says 6 months, but by looking at the posts of other member, it seems to take around 3 months in most cases.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 pm

The reference doesn't need to know you in a professional context. A friend who is an accountant/teacher/dentist can act as one.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:57 am

UKM registration is an entitlement, so it's entirely possible that an application without referee details could succeed.

As long as the statutory requirements are met, the Home Office cannot legally refuse the application.