ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA 4 Application refused! No right of appeal

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

gbodunjo
Newly Registered

EEA 4 Application refused! No right of appeal

Post by gbodunjo » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi guys, My husband's EEA4 application was refused on the 21st December. He was not granted the right of appeal because Home Office claimed that my passport wasn't submitted with the application but it actually was.

When we sought legal advice from our solicitor she advised that we should appeal because we had a good chance of winning. However, we can't afford her fees to prepare the appeal and to represent us at the appeal. So, we went to our local Community Law Centre where we were advised that lodging an appeal would be pointless and that requesting a judicial review would be the best way to proceed.

Not sure what we should do next. Really trust our solicitor and believe her when she says that we have a good chance of success if we appeal. But the community law centre solicitor is insisting on a judicial review and they will not charge us a penny for this service.

Can anyone advise which one is best? Is it possible for me to lodge an appeal myself?

The two main reasons for refusal of the EEA Application Form are as follows:

‘In order to qualify for this form of leave it is necessary to provide clear evidence of exercising treaty rights on the part of the EEA national in question. In support of this you have supplied a large number of documents that would indicate residence in the UK for the required period but there is very little documentation within this that would indicate exercising of treaty rights as required. One such document is a temporary contract of employment which covers the period 1st February 2010 until 31st October 2010. There are also a number of payslips provided dated in 2010 and 2009. However, there are substantial gaps in this evidential record and nothing that would indicate a continuous period of employment for a 5 year period. As this is the case your sponsor cannot be deemed to be a qualified person for this period and thus your application has been refused on this basis in respect of regulation 15(1)( of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006’.

‘Further to this the provided Irish passport number N972296 is noted as having expired as of 14th August 2007. You have provided no other form of identity document for your stated sponsor and as such there is no right of appeal against the decision as per regulation 26 (3) of the Immigration (European Economic Area) (Amendment) Regulations 2012’
Last edited by gbodunjo on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: EEA 4 Application refused! No right of appeal

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 pm

gbodunjo wrote:As I have previously posted
Where? Is this not you first post?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:51 pm

She probably used a different name which she has forgotten.

Please inform us of the other account, if that is the case, so it could be deactivated, as multiple accounts are not accepted.

Decision does not seem right, and a JR is the only means of remeding this, although you can apply to the tribunal directly, if the time for lodging an appeal has not expired.

Decision seems to be at variance with Barnett and New regulation 29A.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 am

Hi there,

I'm the one who actually wrote the original post on here. I am the EEA sponsor. I asked my husband to post on behalf because he already had an account. Turns out he couldn't remember his username and password so he set up a new account. In any case, I'd like to give you some extra information to see what you think and I would also like to add the grounds of appeal that we are thinking of using.

I entered the UK in 1998. I received ILR in 2003 under the previous European immigration rules. Had applied under the previous immigration rules at the time because I was married to another non-EEA national who I later divorced.

I met my current husband in 2005.

My husband and I married in April 2007. I was working at the time but ceased working in July 2007 because of early pregnancy complications. I then claimed JSA until December 2007. I was then put on IS until January 2009. Our daughter was born in February 2010.

The reason that I was claiming IS is because my husband and I had some marital difficulties while I was pregnant. He moved out between July 2007 and February 2009. However, we were still very much in contact during that period and be regularly came to see me and his daughter. He also financially supported our daughter during this time, but not in a formal way.

In January 2009 I returned to work part time. Between January 2009 and September 2010 I was either working or claiming JSA - I think that my husband may have claimed JSA for us as a family at one point during this period.

Between September 2009 and June 2012 I was a full time student but also worked part time. Between July 2012 and September 2012 I worked part time and in October 2012 I enrolled on my Masters degree.

When my husband applied for permanent residence in August 2012, we took the decision not to submit evidence of me exercising treaty rights during the previous 5 years because we both felt that my ILR (it is actually referred to as permanent residence in the letter that I received from the IND at the time) gained under the previous EEA Regulations should be recognised under the current regulations. Lassal, Dias and Ziolkowski all seem to confirm that time spent exercising treaty rights in the UK under previous EEA Regs should be counted as though it was being exercised under current regs for the purposes of permanent residence. Therefore, it does not seem unreasonable that permanent residence, albeit in the form of an ILR endorsement, should also be considered. Surely once one has acquired permanent residence they do not need to acquire it again?

Anyway, my husband and I cannot afford to pay for a solicitor to represent us at an appeal, so I am thinking of having a go at submitting the appeal myself and acting as his representative at the hearing. I will post my draft copy of our grounds for appeal in a few moments.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:57 am

GROUNDS FOR APPEAL
The grounds for this appeal are in accordance with s. 84 (1)(a) and (1)(d) of the Nationality and Asylum Act 2002.
s. 84(1) An appeal under section 82(1) against an immigration decision must be brought on one or more of the following grounds—
(a) that the decision is not in accordance with immigration rules
(d) that the appellant is an EEA national or a member of the family of an EEA national and the decision breaches the appellant’s rights under the Community Treaties in respect of entry to or residence in the United Kingdom

Mr. Xxxxxxx xxxxxx (hereafter referred to as the appellant) married Mrs. Xxxxx xxxxxxx (hereafter referred to as the EEA sponsor) on xx April 2007. He was issued a 5 year residence card in accordance with the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 on xx September 2007. This residence card expired on the 19th September 2012 and on the xx August 2012 the appellant submitted an EEA4 application form to the UKBA to request confirmation of his right of permanent residence in the UK. The appellant automatically became a resident on the xx April 2012 on the basis of having resided with his EEA sponsor for a continuous period of five years..
On the 22nd December 2012, the appellant received a letter of a refusal from the UKBA that was accompanied by a ‘reasons for refusal letter’. Within the ‘reasons for refusal letter’ there are 3 errors of law.

1st ERROR OF LAW – NO RIGHT OF APPEAL GRANTED
Firstly it is important to note that the appellant was denied the right to appeal this immigration decision with the immigration caseworker, I. Turner, stating the following:

Further to this the provided Irish passport number N972296 is noted as having expired as of 14th August 2007. You have provided no other form of identity document for your stated sponsor and as such there is no right of appeal against the decision as per regulation 26 (3) of the Immigration (European Economic Area) (Amendment) Regulations 2012’

This information is incorrect. The appellant had in fact provided the EEA sponsor’s current Irish passport (valid until October 2017) when he submitted his application on 28th August 2012. However, the EEA sponsor requested that her passport be returned to her shortly afterwards because she needed her passport to enrol on the MSc Social Work degree at London Metropolitan University. Her passport was returned along with a letter addressed to the applicant, dated 20th September 2012, advising him that his EEA sponsor’s passport should not be returned to the UKBA unless requested by the caseworker. A copy of this letter, bearing Home Office Reference O1146224, will be submitted as proof of the existence of this letter.

Therefore it is logical to draw the conclusion that the appellant should have been allowed the right of appeal because Regulation 26(3) of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 as amended by statutory instrument 2012 no. 1547, The Immigration (EEA) (Amendment) Regulations 2012, has been satisfied.
Furthermore, as confirmed by Upper Tribunal Judge Peter Lane in the case of Barnett and others (EEA Regulations: rights and documentation) [2012] UKUT 00142 (IAC), it is not necessary for the EEA sponsor to submit a current passport with the appellant’s application for permanent residence. The conclusion by Upper Tribunal Judge Peter Lane reads as follows:

The general conclusions that emerge may be stated as follows. (1) In applications under the 2006 Regulations, care must be taken to identify both the relevant rights being asserted and the relevant documentary confirmation which is being sought in respect of those rights. (2) The requirement in regulation 17(1)(a) and (2)(a) for the production of a valid passport relates to the passport of the applicant, not the EEA national. (3) The “proof” that the Secretary of State can lawfully require in applications under regulations 17 and 18 in order to entitle a non EEA national to a residence card (regulation 17) or a permanent residence card (regulation 18) may, nevertheless, depending on the circumstances, entail the production of the passport or other identity document of an EEA national; but it is unlawful to refuse applications merely because such documentation is not forthcoming. The Secretary of State needs to show a valid reason why it is required. (4) This is particularly so in the case of regulation 18, given that there is likely to be relevant material relating to such documentation on file from a previous, successful application’.

2nd ERROR OF LAW – EEA SPONSOR’S PERMANENT RESIDENCE NOT RECOGNISED.
Secondly, the reasons for refusal letter stated the following:

In order to qualify for this form of leave it is necessary to provide clear evidence of exercising treaty rights on the part of the EEA national in question. In support of this you have supplied a large number of documents that would indicate residence in the UK for the required period but there is very little documentation within this that would indicate exercising of treaty rights as required. One such document is a temporary contract of employment which covers the period 1st February 2010 until 31st October 2010. There are also a number of payslips provided dated in 2010 and 2009. However, there are substantial gaps in this evidential record and nothing that would indicate a continuous period of employment for a 5 year period. As this is the case your sponsor cannot be deemed to be a qualified person for this period and thus your application has been refused on this basis in respect of regulation 15(1)(b) of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006

The EEA sponsor entered the United Kingdom on 26th September 1998. She has been a permanent resident of the United Kingdom since 20th October 2003. She has a ‘no time limit stamp in her expired Irish Passport, N972296, confirming this. On becoming a permanent resident the EEA sponsor was automatically entitled to reside in the United Kingdom without exercising treaty rights.

The judgments of the European Court of Justice in the cases of Lassal [2010] EUECJ C-162/09, Dias [2011] EUECJ C-325/09 and Ziolkowski and Szeja v Germany [2011] EUECJ C-424/10 confirm residence under or in accordance with previous regulations will now count towards permanent residence. It is therefore logical to conclude that any permanent residence acquired under previous regulations should be recognised as permanent residence in accordance with the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006.

These facts were clearly explained in the covering letter that the appellant sent with his EEA4 application on 28th August 2012.
Furthermore, it is noteworthy that Regulation 17(1) of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 states that a non-EEA family member of a an EEA national with a permanent right of residence must be issued with a residence card when the non-EEA family member’s passport is provided along with proof that they are a family member of an EEA national.

17.—(1) The Secretary of State must issue a residence card to a person who is not an EEA national and is the family member of a qualified person or of an EEA national with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15 on application and production of—
(a)a valid passport; and
(b)proof that the applicant is such a family member.

Because the appellant meets all of the requirements in Regulation 17(1), it is not unreasonable to conclude that that he should have been issued with a permanent residence card because he also fulfilled the requirements of Regulation 15(1)(b) which states that:

15.—(1) The following persons shall acquire the right to reside in the United Kingdom permanently—
(b) a family member of an EEA national who is not himself an EEA national but who has resided in the United Kingdom with the EEA national in accordance with these Regulations for a continuous period of five years.

Additionally, having fulfilled the criteria of regulations 17(1) and 15(1)(b), it is logical that a permanent resident card should have been issued to the appellant in accordance with Regulation 18(2)(b) which states that:

18.—(2)(b) The Secretary of State must issue a person who is not an EEA national who has a permanent right of residence under regulation 15 with a permanent residence card no later than six months after the date on which an application for a permanent residence card and proof that the person has such a right is submitted to the Secretary of State.

3rd ERROR OF LAW – THE INCORRECT REGULATION USED TO MAKE THE REFUSAL DECISION
The third error of law made by the caseworker of the UKBA concerns the following that was stated in the reasons for refusal letter:

your application has been refused on this basis in respect of regulation 15(1)(b) of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006’.

Regulation 15(1)(b) of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 states the following:

15.—(1) The following persons shall acquire the right to reside in the United Kingdom permanently—
(b) a family member of an EEA national who is not himself an EEA national but who has resided in the United Kingdom with the EEA national in accordance with these Regulations for a continuous period of five years.

The UKBA caseworker, acting on behalf of the Secretary of State, is correct in quoting regulation 15(1)(b) as the legislation that confirms the right of the appellant to permanent residence but this regulation is not dependent on the EEA sponsor having exercised treaty rights during the 5 years that the appellant resided with her. In fact the UKBA caseworker appears to have no doubt that the appellant resided with the EEA sponsor and states the following in the reasons for refusal letter:

you have supplied a large number of documents that would indicate residence in the UK for the required period’

However, the appellant applied to the UKBA for the sole purpose of requesting a permanent residence card that would confirm his automatic right to permanent residence under Regulation 15(1)(b). The issue of permanent residence cards is addressed in Regulation 18 (2)(b) of The Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 which states the following:

18.—(2)(b) The Secretary of State must issue a person who is not an EEA national who has a permanent right of residence under regulation 15 with a permanent residence card no later than six months after the date on which an application for a permanent residence card and proof that the person has such a right is submitted to the Secretary of State.

Furthermore, as has been previously mentioned, Regulation 17(1) states that:

17.—(1) The Secretary of State must issue a residence card to a person who is not an EEA national and is the family member of a qualified person or of an EEA national with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15 on application and production of—
(a)a valid passport; and

Therefore the UKBA caseworker should have issued the appellant with a permanent residence card on the basis that he has met all of the requirements put forth in Regulation 15(1)(b), Regulation 17(1) and Regulation 18(2)(b). However, the failure to issue a residence card confirming the appellant’s automatic right to permanent residence should have relied upon Regulation 18(2)(b) to refuse the appellant’s application for a permanent residence card.

ADMINISTRATION ERROR - THE WORDING OF SECTION 7 OF THE EEA APPLICATION FORM (VERSION 07/2012) IGNORED.
It is also relevant to point out that the Section 7 of the EEA4 Application Form, version 07/2012 states the following:

‘If your EEA national family member has already acquired permanent residence, please provide either their document certifying permanent residence (if they have one) or evidence of how they acquired permanent residence, for example evidence of exercising Treaty rights for a continuous period of 5 years prior to the date at which they acquired permanent residence. If your EEA national family member has a document certifying permanent residence, please tick this box and go to section 8, otherwise please complete section 7 below’

The appellant ticked the relevant box and proceeded to section 8 of the form as directed. It was his belief that the permanent residence acquired by his EEA Sponsor in October 2003 and the subsequent stamp placed in her passport by Home Office, would be sufficient proof of her having already acquired permanent residence. Nowhere in the EEA4 form does it confirm the type of document confirming permanent residence that is acceptable.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:07 pm

Can anyone help with this please?

Thank you.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 pm

See schedule 4 of The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006

For clarity - a residence permit would now be a residence certificate and a residence permit endorsed to show permission to remain in the United Kingdom indefinitely would be a document certifying permanent residence.
Subject to paragraph (4), a residence permit issued under the 2000 Regulations shall, after 29th April 2006, be treated as if it were a registration certificate issued under these Regulations.
and
Where a residence permit issued under the 2000 Regulations has been endorsed under the immigration rules to show permission to remain in the United Kingdom indefinitely it shall, after 29th April 2006, be treated as if it were a document certifying permanent residence issued under these Regulations and the holder of the permit shall be treated as a person with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Also refer to paragraph 14 of the 2006 regulations to show that you have been residing "in accordance with the regulations":
Ex
(2) A family member of a qualified person residing in the United Kingdom under paragraph (1) or of an EEA national with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15 is entitled to reside in the United Kingdom for so long as he remains the family member of the qualified person or EEA national.
In practical terms I would:

(a) protect your position by appealing in time and send with the appeal a copy of the UKBA covering letter that accompanied your passport when you requested its return

(b) write to the UKBA using the address on the refusal letter and any reference, setting out your case and confirming that you have appealed: they may turn things around for you before a hearing is required. You could also consider making a complaint about the service you have received, which sometimes also results in the correct papers being issued.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:See schedule 4 of The Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006

For clarity - a residence permit would now be a residence certificate and a residence permit endorsed to show permission to remain in the United Kingdom indefinitely would be a document certifying permanent residence.
Subject to paragraph (4), a residence permit issued under the 2000 Regulations shall, after 29th April 2006, be treated as if it were a registration certificate issued under these Regulations.
and
Where a residence permit issued under the 2000 Regulations has been endorsed under the immigration rules to show permission to remain in the United Kingdom indefinitely it shall, after 29th April 2006, be treated as if it were a document certifying permanent residence issued under these Regulations and the holder of the permit shall be treated as a person with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15.

Thank you so much for this information. I shall re-write grounds of appeal accordingly :D

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:42 pm

Kitty wrote:Also refer to paragraph 14 of the 2006 regulations to show that you have been residing "in accordance with the regulations":
Ex
(2) A family member of a qualified person residing in the United Kingdom under paragraph (1) or of an EEA national with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15 is entitled to reside in the United Kingdom for so long as he remains the family member of the qualified person or EEA national.

(a) protect your position by appealing in time and send with the appeal a copy of the UKBA covering letter that accompanied your passport when you requested its return

(b) write to the UKBA using the address on the refusal letter and any reference, setting out your case and confirming that you have appealed: they may turn things around for you before a hearing is required. You could also consider making a complaint about the service you have received, which sometimes also results in the correct papers being issued.
Thanks Kitty, I shall be following your advice 100% :D

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:08 pm

The difficulty is there is no immigration or EEA decision, as there is no lawful notice of decision. A lawful notice of decision will give you a right of appeal.

Therefore it is difficult how the tribunal can accept an appeal without a lawful notice of decision.

The deputy president confirmed this in the decision below.

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cg ... od=boolean

I kind of think that this may be a JR case.

There is no EEA decision, and no right of appeal ( Which incidentally exist) under Regulation 26 of the EEA regulation.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Obie wrote:The difficulty is there is no immigration or EEA decision, as there is no lawful notice of decision. A lawful notice of decision will give you a right of appeal.

Therefore it is difficult how the tribunal can accept an appeal without a lawful notice of decision.

There is no EEA decision, and no right of appeal ( Which incidentally exist) under Regulation 26 of the EEA regulation.
Thanks Obie.

I understand that we were not given the right of appeal, based on them denying having seen my current Irish passport. However, my Irish passport was seen by them and I can prove this. Will the tribunal not take this into consideration?

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Obie wrote:The difficulty is there is no immigration or EEA decision, as there is no lawful notice of decision. A lawful notice of decision will give you a right of appeal.

Hi again Obie,

I just read the case that you mentioned. It confirms that the appellant did have a right of appeal under Regulation 26 even though he was not given this right of appeal by the Home Office. Is that correct or am I not getting the correct meaning?

Thanks.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:24 pm

There are two way it works, and i suspect you could succeed under both.

1. You file in a notice of appeal form and state that even though the respondent has not granted you a right of appeal, you do have one.
The Tribunal will decide whether to allow you to proceed, and live the Secretary of State to contest this at a hearimg. This is not mandatory. The Tribunal could refuse, but there are solid ground for believeing they will not.

2. The second option is to file in a Judicial Review, which may be costly and time consuming.

Trym option one and see how it goes. It should succeed.

The case i cited earlier, simply states that when a lawful notice of decision has not been issued in accordance with the notice of decision Regulation, the decision is not valid, and it remains outstanding with the Secretary of State awaiting a lawful decision.

You are right, the appeallant did have a right of appeal which the Secretary of State did not recognise.

The circumstance of that case is of course different from yours in some respect.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 am

Thanks Obie, I'm going to revise the grounds for appeal that I have previously written and will post them on here later.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Kitty wrote:

Just to add to Kitty's post and in paricular the complaint. You could consider complaining and reapplying.

You could ask UKBA to give priority to your application in light of mishandling the application first time round (potentially saving you having to wait months for another go at an application).

See this document http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful :D

We submitted the appeal online yesterday and also sent the grounds for appeal, notice of refusal, reasons for refusal letter, marriage certificate and passport data pages by post.

We still need to send a few photocopies of other letters that we have had from Home Office, as well as the proof that we had sent to the UKBA to confirm that we have been living together since we got married. We are also going to send proof that I have not lost my right of residence.

I thought that we would feel better by submitting the appeal, but if anything we feel even more nervous than before! I know that my husband has the right to permanent residence, but the bureaucracy in order for him to get it is really overwhelming.

Can anyone tell me what is likely to happen now that the appeal has been submitted? How long will it take for the tribunal to acknowledge receipt of the appeal and how long before we get a hearing date?

Will post the new grounds of appeal that we sent in a mo.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:12 pm

BACKGROUND INFORMATION

Mr. Xxxxxx (hereafter referred to as the appellant) married Mrs. Xxxx xxxx (hereafter referred to as the EEA sponsor), an Irish citizen, on xxth April 2007 in the United Kingdom. Their daughter was born on xx xxxxx 2008. The appellant was issued a 5 year residence card in accordance with the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 on xx September 2007. This residence card expired on the xx September 2012 and on the 28th August 2012 the appellant submitted an EEA4 application form to the UKBA (hereafter referred to as the respondent) to request confirmation of his right of permanent residence in the UK. The appellant automatically became a resident on the xx April 2012 on the basis of having resided, in accordance with the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006, with his EEA sponsor for a continuous period of five years.

The EEA Sponsor is a permanent resident of the United Kingdom and has been since 20th October 2003. The transitional arrangements referred to in Schedule 4 of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2006 confirm that the permanent residence received by the EEA Sponsor in 2003 continues to be recognised as permanent residence for the purposes of the 2006 Regulations.

On the 22nd December 2012, the appellant received a letter of refusal from the respondent that was accompanied by a ‘Reasons for Refusal Letter’. It is submitted that within this letter are four errors of law that have breached the appellant’s rights under the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006.

1ST ERROR OF LAW – NO RIGHT OF APPEAL ALLOWED
The respondent, acting on behalf of the Secretary of State, did not grant the appellant the right of appeal and gave the following reasons for this in the Reasons for Refusal Letter that was received by the appellant on 22/12/12.
‘Further to this the provided Irish passport number N972296 is noted as having expired as of xx August 2007. You have provided no other form of identity document for your stated sponsor and as such there is no right of appeal against the decision as per regulation 26 (3) of the Immigration (European Economic Area) (Amendment) Regulations 2012’

This information is incorrect. The appellant had in fact provided the current Irish passport (valid until 2017) of the EEA Sponsor when he submitted his application on 28th August 2012. However, the EEA sponsor requested that her passport be returned to her shortly afterwards because she needed her passport to enrol on the MSc Social Work degree at London Metropolitan University. Her passport was returned along with a letter addressed to the applicant, dated 20th September 2012, advising him that his EEA sponsor’s passport should not be returned to the respondent unless requested by the caseworker. A copy of this letter, bearing Home Office Reference Xxxxxxxx, will be submitted as proof of the existence of this letter.

Therefore it is logical to draw the conclusion that the appellant should have been allowed the right of appeal because Regulation 26(3) of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 as amended by statutory instrument 2012 no. 1547, The Immigration (EEA) (Amendment) Regulations 2012, has been satisfied.
Furthermore, as confirmed by Upper Tribunal Judge Peter Lane in the case of Barnett and others (EEA Regulations: rights and documentation) [2012] UKUT 00142 (IAC), it is not necessary for the EEA sponsor to submit a current passport with the appellant’s application for permanent residence. The conclusion by Upper Tribunal Judge Peter Lane reads as follows:

‘The general conclusions that emerge may be stated as follows. (1) In applications under the 2006 Regulations, care must be taken to identify both the relevant rights being asserted and the relevant documentary confirmation which is being sought in respect of those rights. (2) The requirement in regulation 17(1)(a) and (2)(a) for the production of a valid passport relates to the passport of the applicant, not the EEA national. (3) The “proof” that the Secretary of State can lawfully require in applications under regulations 17 and 18 in order to entitle a non EEA national to a residence card (regulation 17) or a permanent residence card (regulation 18) may, nevertheless, depending on the circumstances, entail the production of the passport or other identity document of an EEA national; but it is unlawful to refuse applications merely because such documentation is not forthcoming. The Secretary of State needs to show a valid reason why it is required. (4) This is particularly so in the case of regulation 18, given that there is likely to be relevant material relating to such documentation on file from a previous, successful application’.

Therefore it is submitted that the grounds for this appeal are in accordance with s. 84 (1)(a) and (1)(d) of the Nationality and Asylum Act 2002.
s. 84(1) An appeal under section 82(1) against an immigration decision must be brought on one or more of the following grounds—
(a) that the decision is not in accordance with immigration rules
(d) that the appellant is an EEA national or a member of the family of an EEA national and the decision breaches the appellant’s rights under the Community Treaties in respect of entry to or residence in the United Kingdom

2nd ERROR OF LAW – EEA SPONSOR’S PERMANENT RESIDENCE NOT RECOGNISED.
Secondly, the respondent states the following in the Reasons for Refusal Letter:

‘In order to qualify for this form of leave it is necessary to provide clear evidence of exercising treaty rights on the part of the EEA national in question. In support of this you have supplied a large number of documents that would indicate residence in the UK for the required period but there is very little documentation within this that would indicate exercising of treaty rights as required. One such document is a temporary contract of employment which covers the period 1st February 2010 until 31st October 2010. There are also a number of payslips provided dated in 2010 and 2009. However, there are substantial gaps in this evidential record and nothing that would indicate a continuous period of employment for a 5 year period. As this is the case your sponsor cannot be deemed to be a qualified person for this period and thus your application has been refused on this basis in respect of regulation 15(1)(b) of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006’.

There is absolutely no requirement for the EEA Sponsor to prove that she was exercising treaty rights since she is a permanent residence of the United Kingdom and has been since 20th October 2003. She has a ‘no time limit’ stamp in her expired Irish Passport, N972296, confirming this. On becoming a permanent resident the EEA Sponsor was automatically entitled to reside in the United Kingdom without exercising treaty rights.

Although the EEA Sponsor acquired permanent residence prior to the 2006 Regulations being implemented, Schedule 4 (2)(4) leaves no room for doubt that the ILR stamp in her expired Irish passport must be treated as a document certifying permanent residence under the current 2006 Regulations.
Schedule 4 (2)(4)

It is therefore clear that the appellant should have been granted a residence card confirming his right of permanent residence because the conditions of the 2006 Regulations below have clearly been satisfied.

The respondent has not disputed that the appellant is the family member of an EEA National and the following extract from the Reasons for Refusal Letter indicates that they are satisfied that he has lived with the EEA national for a continuous period of 5 years:
‘you have supplied a large number of documents that would indicate residence in the UK for the required period’

As has been previously stated, the EEA Sponsor is a permanent resident therefore the appellant and the EEA Sponsor have certainly been residing together for the required period ‘in accordance’ with the regulations.

(a)a valid passport; and

All aspects of Regulation 17(1) have been satisfied by the appellant. His EEA Sponsor is an EEA National with a permanent right of residence under regulation 15. The appellant provided his passport with the EEA4 application and provided his marriage certificate as proof that he is a family member of an EEA National.

Having fulfilled the criteria of regulations 17(1) and 15(1)(b), it is therefore apparent that a permanent resident card should have been issued to the appellant in accordance with Regulation 18(2)(b) which states that:

By submitting the EEA Sponsor’s passport and providing extensive evidence of having resided together with the EEA Sponsor since their marriage in 2007, the appellant has undoubtedly satisfied the conditions of Regulation 18(2)(b).

3rd ERROR OF LAW – THE INCORRECT REGULATION USED TO MAKE THE REFUSAL DECISION
The third error of law made by the caseworker of the UKBA concerns the following that was stated in the reasons for refusal letter:
‘your application has been refused on this basis in respect of regulation 15(1)(b) of the Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006’.

As has been previously addressed, the appellant’s EEA Sponsor is a permanent residence of the United Kingdom in accordance with the 2006 Regulations and evidence of this has been submitted to the respondent. Notwithstanding, the appellant sent the EEA4 application form to the respondent for the sole purpose of requesting a permanent residence card that would confirm his automatic right to permanent residence under Regulation 15(1)(b). The actual issue of permanent residence cards (as requested by the appellant) is addressed in Regulation 18 (2)(b) of The Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 which states the following:

Because the appellant had satisfied all of the conditions put forth in Regulations 15(1)(b), 17(1)(a) and (b) and 18(2)(b) the respondent should have issued the appellant with a permanent residence card.

4th ERROR OF LAW – RETENTION OF APPELLANT’S PASSPORTS AND REQUEST THAT THE APPELLENT LEAVE THE UK.
The following, within the Reasons for Refusal Letter, confirm that the appellant’s passports have been retained and that he has been asked to leave the United Kingdom:

‘As you appear to have no alternative basis of stay in the United Kingdom you should now make arrangements to leave. If you fail to do so voluntarily your departure may be enforced’

and

‘Your documents have been retained and responsibility for your case has now been passed to your regional case ownership unit. You should contact them (between the hours of 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday) by telephone on 0207238003 to discuss your departure from the United Kingdom.’

Part 4 of The Immigration (EEA) Regulations 2006 allows for the removal of EEA Nationals or their relevant family members who are residing in accordance with the regulations only on the grounds of public policy, public security or public health.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
It is also relevant to point out that the Section 7 of the EEA4 Application Form, version 07/2012 states the following:

‘If your EEA national family member has already acquired permanent residence, please provide either their document certifying permanent residence (if they have one) or evidence of how they acquired permanent residence, for example evidence of exercising Treaty rights for a continuous period of 5 years prior to the date at which they acquired permanent residence. If your EEA national family member has a document certifying permanent residence, please tick this box and go to section 8, otherwise please complete section 7 below’

This application form, made available by the respondent, makes it clear that there is no requirement for the EEA Sponsor to provide proof of continuing to exercise treaty rights where the EEA Sponsor is already a permanent resident and submits the necessary document certifying permanent residence. The EEA Sponsor’s expired Irish Passport (N972296) which satisfies this condition was submitted with the application.

Although not requested in the EEA 4 application form and not a condition of the 2006 Regulations, proof that the EEA sponsor has not lost her permanent right of residence since the xx October 2003 (when it was granted) and 2007 (when she married the appellant) will be provided to the tribunal. This is to avoid the possibility of the respondent further delaying the issue of a permanent residence card to the appellant.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Just thought of a couple of more questions if anyone can help :)

My husband would like to submit another application at the same time as appealing. Is it possible to re-apply and appeal at the same time?

If we can re-apply, would we need to submit all documents previously submitted?

Finally, I know that the Immigration Tribunal asked that only photocopied documents be sent to them. However, will we be expected to produce original documents on the day of the hearing? Just asking because if we submit a new EEA4 application for my husband, then we will need to send the original documents with it.

Thanks.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:06 pm

IyaCiara wrote:Just thought of a couple of more questions if anyone can help :)

My husband would like to submit another application at the same time as appealing. Is it possible to re-apply and appeal at the same time?

Finally, I know that the Immigration Tribunal asked that only photocopied documents be sent to them. However, will we be expected to produce original documents on the day of the hearing? Just asking because if we submit a new EEA4 application for my husband, then we will need to send the original documents with it.

Thanks.
Yes you can appeal; reapply and complain at the same time. See post with link as to how to ask for priority above.

It will be expected that you provide evidence that your husband qualifies.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 pm

You cannot automatically appeal. A proper notice of decision was not send to you stating you have a right of appeal under Regulation 26. You are applying to the Tribunal, saying you do have a right of appeal and that the allegations made by the HO was wrong.

If the judge feel that you do have a right of appeal, then a hearing date will be set, and the burden will then be diverted to the Secretary of State to show that you do not have a right of appeal.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:04 pm

IyaCiara wrote:Finally, I know that the Immigration Tribunal asked that only photocopied documents be sent to them. However, will we be expected to produce original documents on the day of the hearing? Just asking because if we submit a new EEA4 application for my husband, then we will need to send the original documents with it.
I do not see that anyone has disputed the authenticity of any of the documents. So it is unlikely that the issue will come up at the appeal.

As usual, keep photocopies of everything you send, and include an cover letter listing each item sent.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
IyaCiara wrote:Just thought of a couple of more questions if anyone can help :)

Thanks.
Yes you can appeal; reapply and complain at the same time. See post with link as to how to ask for priority above.

It will be expected that you provide evidence that your husband qualifies.

Thanks for the reply. Do you mean that it is expected by the tribunal or if he re-submits the EEA4 form or both?

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Just to update that today I have sent emails of complaint to UKBA and also Mark Harper and Theresa May.

IyaCiara

Post by IyaCiara » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Had a reply from one of the emails that I sent to say that our case has been passed to a colleague in Liverpool for re-consideration.