ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

hi

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

riojamel

hi

Post by riojamel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:27 am

Hi guys I need some advice ,I am the British passport holder originally from india.i want to travel to india in near future but I don't want to apply visa every time so I can apply for OCI / PIO.i am not sure this all procedure ,please can some one help me with this,how this all work ,how can I apply for this. Please reply .thanks

riojamel

Hi

Post by riojamel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi guys
Please some suggest me ,how to start all the process ,what to do first ,thanks

nmehta

Post by nmehta » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi,

This is a two step process -

1. Surrender your Indian Passport and obtain a surrender certificate (details here - http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surenderind_pass.html)

2. Apply for OCI to obtain a lifelong visa (details here - http://www.hcilondon.in/ocipci.php)

Thanks,

nmehta

Post by nmehta » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:05 pm

However you can travel to and from India on your Indian Passport for 3 months from the date of UK Naturalisation. This period is a grace period offered by Indian government.

riojamel

Hi

Post by riojamel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks for reply
I live in Northern Ireland so I can go to Dublin to apply that.
Can I get these poi and oci done in same day if I take all the papers with me?
Thanks

krthk.s

Post by krthk.s » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:25 pm

nmehta wrote:However you can travel to and from India on your Indian Passport for 3 months from the date of UK Naturalisation. This period is a grace period offered by Indian government.
nmehta, could you kindly provide any link or policy document to confirm this please?

riojamel

hi

Post by riojamel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:03 pm

I m not in hurry to get visa and travel plans to india ..soon but want to get it. If I need to go .
Thanks

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:38 pm

Check with your local HCI in Dublin.

At HCI London, you can get your OCI on the same day (in the evening) if you application was accepted in the morning. However this might not be the case with all HCI's.

nmehta

Post by nmehta » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:47 pm

krthk.s wrote:
nmehta wrote:However you can travel to and from India on your Indian Passport for 3 months from the date of UK Naturalisation. This period is a grace period offered by Indian government.
nmehta, could you kindly provide any link or policy document to confirm this please?
Link - http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.php

Please read the para beginning with text "The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship" in bold.

It states (with a three month grace period from the date of acquiring foreign nationality i.e. the date of Naturalisation certificate)
Last edited by nmehta on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nmehta

Post by nmehta » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:49 pm

krazydude wrote:Check with your local HCI in Dublin.

At HCI London, you can get your OCI on the same day (in the evening) if you application was accepted in the morning. However this might not be the case with all HCI's.
I thought, it takes 4-6 weeks for in person OCI application as the OCI is printed and sent off from Delhi.

Are you sure about same day application and processing?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:36 pm

I believe s/he is referring to the collection of OCI booklet/stamping of foreign passport with U visa - not the full OCI life cycle