ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What happens to EEA2 RC if UK leaves the EU?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

craxy1102

What happens to EEA2 RC if UK leaves the EU?

Post by craxy1102 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 am

Hey guys,

I am a bit concerned about something.

I recently got a EEA2 residence card. I was just wondering, what happens to my RC if UK leaves the EU?

Will me and my wife be required to leave the country, as my RC will be void?
===================
EEA2 application sent: 22/07/2012
EEA2 Application received : 23/07/2012
Sent 1 letter and 1 phone call in mid-September
COA: 16/10/2012 (Dated 11th October 2012)
RC Recieved : 13/12/2012 (Dated 28/11/2012)

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 am

I think you should be more worried about the Earth loosing its gravity. Go to a hardware store and buy some ropes so you can tie yourself down.
Last edited by Lucapooka on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

craxy1102

Post by craxy1102 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 am

Lucapooka wrote:I think you should be more worried about the Earth loosing it's gravity. Go to a hardware store and buy some ropes so you can tie yourself down.
haha :D ...no seriously :)
===================
EEA2 application sent: 22/07/2012
EEA2 Application received : 23/07/2012
Sent 1 letter and 1 phone call in mid-September
COA: 16/10/2012 (Dated 11th October 2012)
RC Recieved : 13/12/2012 (Dated 28/11/2012)

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:06 am

You're not the first to ask this question here, and actually Lucapooka is absolutely right.

Despite some populist talk by some politicians, look at the timescale. They only talk about a referendum after the next elections, so about three years from now at the earliest (assuming the Conservatives will actually win these elections). Then after the decision to leave the EU will have been made, it will only come into force two years later.

And even then, you can be sure that no EU-national or their family members will be asked to leave the UK against their will. If anyone would be forced out by the UK government, the government should be prepared to repatriate all British living in another EU country, because the EU will retaliate by reciprocity.

Furthermore, leaving the EU does not mean leaving the EEA and so Directive 2004/38 will remain in place anyway and so will the EEA Regulations.

Nimitta
Member of Standing

Post by Nimitta » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:14 pm

Lucapooka wrote:I think you should be more worried about the Earth loosing its gravity. Go to a hardware store and buy some ropes so you can tie yourself down.
Hahahhahaha! :D

keffers
BANNED

Post by keffers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Who predicted the fall of the Berlin Wall; the end of the USSR; the Arab Spring; the end of military governments in South America etc etc etc?

Sometimes it just happens. The EU has done well to last this long. Quit while you are ahead is the old adage but the EU keeps on expanding...

As things stand now its all talk or aspiration - although the Lisbon Treaty actually gives countries the option to leave.

Who knows what the future holds?

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:33 pm

I do not think they can order Especially the older EU members country's national and their family members to leave. However, their new policies may hit the eu countries who will join in future and most especially they are already worried about Romania and Bulgaria too. But they can never think to treat them like they are treating the points based migrants.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

icexxik

Re: What happens to EEA2 RC if UK leaves the EU?

Post by icexxik » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:10 pm

craxy1102 wrote:Hey guys,

I recently got a EEA2 residence card. I was just wondering, what happens to my RC if UK leaves the EU?

Will me and my wife be required to leave the country, as my RC will be void?
There is no talk of leaving the EU. There was talk about amending some of the treaty clauses, and that talk never got beyond amending clauses unrelated to migration (for example the maximum work week and minimum wages).

If the earth looses it's orbit, and UK does decide to quit, it won't leave the EEA, as it needs the free trade to stay. This will be unbelievably foolish, as within the EEA, UK will be bound by most EU directives without having a voice within the EU, but nevertheless, if that does happen, EEA immigration regulations will still apply.

If in fact the UK will leave the EEA and rebuilt her former empire by annexing British India and other colonies ;) EEA regulations would still apply, why? UK laws are rarely retroactive. It has been the practice for many years that new UK migration regulations only apply to those who make applications after new regulations came into force.

Either way, you are safe.

nanny

Post by nanny » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:08 am

[quote="icexxik"][quote="craxy1102"]Hey guys,

Will me and my wife be required to leave the country, as my RC will be void?[/quote]

There is no talk of leaving the EU. There was talk about amending some of the treaty clauses, and that talk never got beyond amending clauses unrelated to migration (for example the maximum work week and minimum wages).

If the earth looses it's orbit, and UK does decide to quit, it won't leave the EEA, as it needs the free trade to stay. This will be unbelievably foolish, as within the EEA, UK will be bound by most EU directives without having a voice within the EU, but nevertheless, if that does happen, EEA immigration regulations will still apply.

If in fact the UK will leave the EEA and rebuilt her former empire by annexing British India and other colonies ;) EEA regulations would still apply, why? UK laws are rarely retroactive. It has been the practice for many years that new UK migration regulations only apply to those who make applications after new regulations came into force.

Either way, you are safe.[/quote]

If we are all WORRIED ABOUT IT WHICH I AM ALL OF US AN EVERY EEA FAMILY AND FRIENDS WE HAVE LIVING IN THE UK WE SHOULD ALL GET TOGETHER AND GO AND VOTE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TO KEEP US IN THE EU THAT WILL SOLVE IT... AND WHEN ELECTION COMES WE DO THE SAME AGAINST DAVID CAMERAN GETTING RE_ELECTED
Nanny here

boloney

Post by boloney » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 am

You can't vote in general election to you get british citizenship.so you can't say no to david cameron

nanny

Post by nanny » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:25 am

[quote="boloney"]You can't vote in general election to you get british citizenship.so you can't say no to david cameron[/quote]

OK i hear you i just thought we could but i know a lot of people who have a vote.. any way thats not my main concern at the moment what to be will be.

any way peace and love we are not here to talk about politics. Thanks for your comment..
Nanny here