ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

why do EEA4 applications take time to be decided??

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

comfused

Post by comfused » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:41 pm

My case is straightforward, i applied for PR at the end of September 2012 and I received COA 2weeks after submitting the application. Receiving the COA after just 2weeks gave me a bit of hope that the HO will deal with my application quickly without the need to wait for 6 months. However, after reading about many cases in this forum, where cases are straightforward, some of the applications still take 6 months or even more to be dealt with.

My question, why it takes too long for a case worker to make a decision? why cant he or she issue the PR instead of COA when the documents required are not missing? what s the difference between a junior case worker and a senior one? I understand that some applications are returned because of missing documents so about the applications that are full completed?? Is it because free? or just a matter of bureaucratization?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:38 pm

This reminds me a joke. "Why do dogs lick their balls?". Because they can.

I believe the main reasons are lack of resources and priorities. The CoA is issued after a very quick check. They just check the documents have been submitted but not what they contain.

It is more apparent when there is a joint EEA3/EEA4 application. If the EEA3 application is approved, only two things need to be checked for a EEA4 application:
- family relation (marriage certificate) which is something that probably was checked before for the RC application.
- 5 years of residence

Still the EEA3 is issued very quickly (in accordance with the regulation) and the EEA4 several months!! later.

comfused

Post by comfused » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:52 pm

[quote="Jambo"]This reminds me a joke. "Why do dogs lick their balls?". Because they can.

I believe the main reasons are lack of resources and priorities. The CoA is issued after a very quick check. They just check the documents have been submitted but not what they contain.

It is more apparent when there is a joint EEA3/EEA4 application. If the EEA3 application is approved, only two things need to be checked for a EEA4 application:
- family relation (marriage certificate) which is something that probably was checked before for the RC application.
- 5 years of residence

Still the EEA3 is issued very quickly (in accordance with the regulation) and the EEA4 several months!! later.[/quote]

comfused

Post by comfused » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:01 pm

i think it s unfair to hold an application for 6 months when they can make a decision in 45min ( checking all the documents). By doing that, i will probably save more time for them, no piling up of applications, no one will bother calling them to check or ask for passport return. the problem of lack of resources would be resolved if they charge for the applications, they would hire more case workers. Eventually, the majority of the applicants would be content to pay to avoid long waiting.

THANK you Jambo

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: why do EEA4 applications take time to be decided??

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 am

comfused wrote:i think it s unfair to hold an application for 6 months when they can make a decision in 45min ( checking all the documents). By doing that, i will probably save more time for them, no piling up of applications, no one will bother calling them to check or ask for passport return. the problem of lack of resources would be resolved if they charge for the applications, they would hire more case workers. Eventually, the majority of the applicants would be content to pay to avoid long waiting.

THANK you Jambo
If you take a look at some of the threads for UK-immigration rules category, for which a substantial fee is taken, you will see that people often have to wait there too.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 am

comfused wrote:My case is straightforward, i applied for PR at the end of September 2012 and I received COA 2weeks after submitting the application. Receiving the COA after just 2weeks gave me a bit of hope that the HO will deal with my application quickly without the need to wait for 6 months. However, after reading about many cases in this forum, where cases are straightforward, some of the applications still take 6 months or even more to be dealt with.

My question, why it takes too long for a case worker to make a decision? why cant he or she issue the PR instead of COA when the documents required are not missing? what s the difference between a junior case worker and a senior one? I understand that some applications are returned because of missing documents so about the applications that are full completed?? Is it because free? or just a matter of bureaucratization?
The directive and regulations allow them to take up to six months to decide, so they take advantage of that. It may be frustrating. At least they appear to have improved COA times, which were very poor earlier in the year.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:34 am

I would add that it affects more EEA2 applications. Normally, EEA4 applicants would have a valid RC (as you normally get to the 5 years before the RC runs out). So unless you need the PR to claim benefits, it wouldn't affect your life so much.

comfused

Post by comfused » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:11 pm

I do not need to claim benefits, it is just the fact of waiting long, u wait and u do not know if the outcome will be good or bad. Going thru this forum, helps me to calm down my nerves because most of the EEA4 applications end up with PR despite the long wait. I wish I could do something to sneak inside the HO to see what these case workers do with these applications.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:07 pm

I don't feel that any logical excuse/explanation can be found.

If the EU family member has received confirmation of PR then all that needs doing, as Jambo mentioned earlier, is checking the family r/ship and that the non-EEA spouse has resided in the UK continuously for 5 years as laid down in the EU Directive. Such checks should take no more than a month or two. It is even more suspect when one compares with EEA PR application timelines which are concluded and returned within 2 weeks - a month.
  • For instance in 2007 my husband's RC application took under 3 weeks to be issued and returned; mine took 8 months.
    Fast forward to 2012, my husband's PR application took under 2 weeks to be issued and returned; mine, well, we'll see but so far it's coming up to 2 months.
What is the difference between the processing of EEA and non EEA PR applications? The only demarcator I can see (which I hope is not the case) is nationality.

Baffling...

comfused

Post by comfused » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Plum70, I think you will get you PR in February because your husband has already got his . It should not take them time to decide, your case is more than straightforward, your husband s documents have been checked and by issuing his PR, means he met the European regulations. In that case, you r safe.
me im different to u coz my wife didn't apply for EEA3. We sent all her documents plus mine on 24sep 2012 and COA received on 15 October. so i have to wait till March to complete the 6months.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm

comfused wrote:Plum70, I think you will get you PR in February because your husband has already got his . It should not take them time to decide, your case is more than straightforward...
Thanks for your consoling words! There is little logic in how the UKBA casework team approach their workload so at present it shows little promise when my application will be completed. Logic says it should be by now...

I am not concerned about if I will get PR confirmed but when, simply so I can have my ID back and my husband and I can make concrete plans e.g trips, moving home, me taking the Life in the UK test e.t.c. We're on hold until this stage of the process is wrapped up.
comfused wrote:me im different to u coz my wife didn't apply for EEA3. We sent all her documents plus mine on 24sep 2012 and COA received on 15 October. so i have to wait till March to complete the 6months.
Even your case should be "straight forward": (1) Check EEA's ID, family r/ship, eligibility for PR and then approve. (2) Check non-EEA family member's ID, that they have continuous 5-year residence, then approve. This still shouldn't take 6 months!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:08 pm

I don't think the checks take 6 months. It's just the backlog that causes it. The HO just can't handle the +30,000 European applications they get every year. They deal with a EEA3 application but then would put the EEA4 application aside back in the pile as they would prioritise another EEA3 on the EeA4 application as the EEA regulations require them to respond quicker to EEA3 application.

I don't think it has anything to do with nationality. It just a matter of priorities and resources. When I dealt with the HO in 2008, it took them over 8 months and that was the normal practice. They have improved since but the cuts in the public sector have their affect.

comfused

Post by comfused » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:12 pm

All we can do is just be patient. ill update you with my situation. good luck

comfused

Post by comfused » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:15 pm

i think Jambo got a point. cheers mate for the explanation and the clarification. im glad they haven't asked me yet for other documents

bombo
Newly Registered

Post by bombo » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 pm

my time line
ho recieve 16/08/12
coa was told it was sent 12/10/12
never recieved it
pr - ?

is anyone still waiting from my timeline.

comfused

Post by comfused » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:32 pm

Im still waiting the 6months

comfused

Post by comfused » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Any news from anyone waiting?

renu

Post by renu » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:20 pm

hi, iposted my EEA4 application since 24 september, received COA after 2 weeks and i am still waiting for PR.i requested for my passport yesterday as i need to travel. hoping i will hear from HO SOON.

Marco25
Newly Registered

Post by Marco25 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:11 am

Hi all,
I strongly believe part from directive allow them to take up to 6 months or even sometimes more, the vast majorette of case worker and uk border staff are just simply dearly beloved and very narrow minded people, they delay the application intentionally just to play with the people mind, they just simply sick and there behaving is discustin and should not be allowed in the country when they talking about democracy and equal opprtiunity for every one.

comfused

Post by comfused » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:13 pm

ANY NEWS FROM THOSE WHO APPLIED SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER

comfused

Post by comfused » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:44 am

UKBA backlogs: Inspectors find thousands of new cases

does this mean the Home office will fasten the way the applications are dealt with?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21170495

comfused

Post by comfused » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:49 pm

any good news??

harmeetsingh

EEA4

Post by harmeetsingh » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:05 am

Hi guys.
I need urgent advice.Soon I (non-eu) am my wife(eu) will be completing our 5 year residence and we are going to apply for PR.we have all the documents but i am not sure of one thing.My wife was required to register under worker registration scheme. HO require that EEA citizen must be register for 12 month period. My question is that the 5 year residence start from the date when she first register for worker registration certificate or it can be any continues 12 months during 5 year period. I know that this scheme is finish on 30/4/2011.Any advice or comment will be much appreciated.
Thanks