ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK passport or citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Vichik
Newly Registered

UK passport or citizenship

Post by Vichik » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:18 pm

I would be happy and a releif to my spirit if I can get a response to my question.

I shoplifted and I received a fixed penalty from the police. No conviction and I have paid all the fines. No caution, just the £80 penalty. I have two children born here and I want to apply for citizenship which is due in January next year. My offence is hunting me so badly that even though no one else knows about it except me yet, I walk in the streets with my head down in shame.

My enquairy is this, has anyone received fixed penalty and still got citizeship here? Tears still droping from my eyes since 14th of December 2012. I am really sorry to whoever would feel disappointed after reading this.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:35 pm

First of all, this not a question for the EEA forum.

I don't know the details of the British rules, but if you would apply in the Netherlands for citizenship with such a history, it would not be a problem at all. There only prison sentences or fines exceeding 450 euros (about £360) would prevent you from naturalisation, and they look no further than four years back into the past.

My guess is that also in the UK you don't need to worry, but may be someone with more knowledge can confirm this?

olujay25

Post by olujay25 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:22 pm

I don't think you will get in trouble for that. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:54 pm

I've moved this to the correct part of the forum.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:21 am

You have been very lucky to get just an FPN. However, it may still cause you trouble. On the one hand the according regulations state: "Where the applicant is of good character in all other respects caseworkers should normally be prepared to overlook a single minor unspent conviction resulting in (...) a relatively small fine or compensation order, [or] a fixed penalty notice. (...) Receiving one [an FPN] does not form part of a person's criminal record as there is no admission of guilt." However, it also states "caseworkers should not normally disregard any conviction that falls into the following categories irrespective of the severity of the sentence imposed: a. Offences involving dishonesty (for example, theft, fraud)". See this document. You definitely have to declare it if you apply within 5 years of the incident, and success of your application depends on caseworkers discretion (always a gamble). Since this was a small issue and dealt with in form of an FPN, it will not be an automatic knock-out criterion, but your chances have been diminished. If you want to play it safe, wait until the incident is 5 years in the past.

Vichik
Newly Registered

Post by Vichik » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:14 pm

yes my dear Gyfrinachar, I thought as much that my chances are diminished. It's unthinkable that what I regarded as a mere act is leading me into lifetime self prison sentence. No moment since that day it has not made any impact in my life. I am so sorry for my kids who will grow and hear what Loving Dady has done