ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

canadian needing advice

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jellybean
Newly Registered

canadian needing advice

Post by jellybean » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi! I am a Canadian who has been living in Ireland for the past 4 years. My work has been renewing my work permit every year. I recently married an irish man and we are wondering what we have to do now so that I no longer have to have my work sponsor me. Am I entitled to any kind of spousal visa that would enable me to apply for other jobs without being sponsored? If so, does anyone know who we call or write to apply for such a visa or some kind of permanent residency? Thanks!

JAJ
Australia

Re: canadian needing advice

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:59 am

jellybean wrote:Hi! I am a Canadian who has been living in Ireland for the past 4 years. My work has been renewing my work permit every year. I recently married an irish man and we are wondering what we have to do now so that I no longer have to have my work sponsor me. Am I entitled to any kind of spousal visa that would enable me to apply for other jobs without being sponsored? If so, does anyone know who we call or write to apply for such a visa or some kind of permanent residency? Thanks!
As far as I know you can now apply for permission to remain as a spouse. Not sure about how "permanent residence" works - others might know more. http://www.justice.ie might help.

Once you reach 5 years residence (excluding residence as a student, or other exclusions) you can apply for naturalisation as an Irish citizen. You don't need to have "permanent residence". No problem with dual citizenship, however naturalisation applications take 2-3 years to process.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:56 pm

As you are from Canada and not required to have a visa to enter Ireland, you can simply go to the GNIB with your spouse and register to get your "Stamp 4" Residency permit. You will need to bring your marriage certificate. This Stamp will allow you to work for any employer and is valid for 5 years.

Regarding naturalisation. Spouses of Irish citizens only have to reside for 3 years in Ireland to be eligible for citizenship. Citizenship applications take 12-18 months to process.

jellybean
Newly Registered

Post by jellybean » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Thanks so much for all your help.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:23 pm

scrudu wrote: Regarding naturalisation. Spouses of Irish citizens only have to reside for 3 years in Ireland to be eligible for citizenship.
In order to apply under the 3 year rule, there is an additional requirement to have been married for at least 3 years.

Someone who has lived in the Republic of Ireland for some time and is recently married will usually be eligible earlier under the 5 year rule.