ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

slavek
Newly Registered

Citizenship Ceremony

Post by slavek » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Dear All,

Please, can you advise about the Citizenship Ceremony, does 6 years old child need to attend it after registration?

I know that is sounds like a silly question but I was reading the MN1 Guide today and in Chapter 7 it states:

"Chapter 7
Children who attend ceremonies will be asked to swear or affirm an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen and to pledge their loyalty to the United Kingdom. Following this they will be presented with their certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen."

And then I went to UK Border Agency website and found as below:
"Children
Children are not required to take a citizenship oath or affirmation, and the accompanying pledge, or to attend a ceremony"

Markie

Re: Citizenship Ceremony

Post by Markie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 pm

children not mandatory but would be beneficial if she attends if it is relating to a whole family application - some sense of pride in that respect as advised to us.
slavek wrote:Dear All,

Please, can you advise about the Citizenship Ceremony, does 6 years old child need to attend it after registration?

I know that is sounds like a silly question but I was reading the MN1 Guide today and in Chapter 7 it states:

"Chapter 7
Children who attend ceremonies will be asked to swear or affirm an oath of allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen and to pledge their loyalty to the United Kingdom. Following this they will be presented with their certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen."

And then I went to UK Border Agency website and found as below:
"Children
Children are not required to take a citizenship oath or affirmation, and the accompanying pledge, or to attend a ceremony"

slavek
Newly Registered

Post by slavek » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 pm

This is single MN1 application.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:42 pm

MN1 Guide, page 35 wrote:Taking the Oath and Pledge is a legal requirement for successful applicants over 18 years of age, and the point at which they become British citizens.
Which probably implies under 18s don't need to go to one.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

slavek
Newly Registered

Post by slavek » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 am

Thank you all for the help.

You were absolutely right - my son doesn't need to attend the Citizenship Ceremony as he is too young.

Thank you and Good Luck to everyone.