ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Experiences on Requesting Passports back from UKBA (EEA2)

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Great news, I got my passports today!! Here's my timeline:

Application Received by HO January 14
Passports requested January 28
Passports requested #2 February 4 (this time saying that if I didn't receive my passports by the end of the week, I would contact my MP, the Italian embassy, and a solicitor and immigration judge who happens to be one of my law professors)
Passports received February 7!

The only annoying thing is that I'd included two self-addressed envelopes in my application, one smaller one for the passports, one larger one for the RC and remaining documents. Obviously they used the wrong one, so now I'm slightly concerned my RC and other docs won't fit into the smaller envelope.

@Flipper - the link (which works for me) was a summary of how to prioritize the processing of applications as well as the processing of passport return requests. It seems if you request your passport back after 3 months, they put your application in a priority pile to complete your RC as well.

This brings to an end literally months of obsessing, and it turned out not to be too bad at all. I'm in an advantageous position because my partner's visa to work in the UK doesn't expire until August, so they can go ahead and take the full six months if they want!

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:55 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Great news, I got my passports today!! Here's my timeline:

Application Received by HO January 14
Passports requested January 28
Passports requested #2 February 4 (this time saying that if I didn't receive my passports by the end of the week, I would contact my MP, the Italian embassy, and a solicitor and immigration judge who happens to be one of my law professors)
Passports received February 7!

The only annoying thing is that I'd included two self-addressed envelopes in my application, one smaller one for the passports, one larger one for the RC and remaining documents. Obviously they used the wrong one, so now I'm slightly concerned my RC and other docs won't fit into the smaller envelope.

@Flipper - the link (which works for me) was a summary of how to prioritize the processing of applications as well as the processing of passport return requests. It seems if you request your passport back after 3 months, they put your application in a priority pile to complete your RC as well.

This brings to an end literally months of obsessing, and it turned out not to be too bad at all. I'm in an advantageous position because my partner's visa to work in the UK doesn't expire until August, so they can go ahead and take the full six months if they want!
The casework instructions? Yes, that's what they say, but I don't know that the really follow instructions all that well! There's also literature (it may be on the automated email response from the liverpool email address or possibly on the website) that actually says something along the lines of "requesting your passport back won't make us process yor application faster".

The UKBA now have hold of three addressed envelopes I provided to them - and they've used their own twice. Interestingly though, I have been speaking to someone there in the last couple of days (in regards to a complaint I lodged back in December while waiting for my passports) - and they are looking into it (why they haven't used the envelopes I provided).

Anyway - you shouldn't be here reading the forum - go book your holiday!!!!
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:55 pm

Great Sofia. Booked a leisurely escape yet? :wink:

sofia.d.c

Post by sofia.d.c » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Thanks you guys! Yes I brought my credit card to class so I could book everything while taking (half-hearted) notes, as I ran into the postman on my way out to campus. I think he was freaked out at how happy I was to see him.

@Flipper - haha I know, but I'm so used to visiting this site; it's like an automatic reaction to come here when I open my internet browser.
I have NO idea why they didn't use your envelope (or why they chose the wrong one from my file), my conclusion is simply that they're not the brightest bunch. Did you hear about their recent review, in which 10 year old applications were found unanswered?! That's insane!

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 pm

sofia.d.c wrote:Did you hear about their recent review, in which 10 year old applications were found unanswered?! That's insane!
I know - unbelievable! You have to wonder though, have the applicants simply given up? Left the country? Got new passports? New identities??? I'd love to know more about their internal processes!

captcha
Newly Registered

Post by captcha » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi all, I need my passport for urgent travel on February 21st. I made the initial request for it to be sent back on January 7th (by email with the form, and quoting the case ID in my COA). Since then I have called, sent a letter by post, sent a second request by e-mail, and even contacted my MP, who requested the passport on my behalf, but still nothing.

I'm beginning to be desperate. Does anyone know what else can be done? Is it possible to just go to Liverpool and pick it up myself? Would a solicitor help? Is there anything they can do that I can't? Can my embassy do anything? Any thoughts would be welcome.

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:24 am

captcha wrote:Hi all, I need my passport for urgent travel on February 21st. I made the initial request for it to be sent back on January 7th (by email with the form, and quoting the case ID in my COA). Since then I have called, sent a letter by post, sent a second request by e-mail, and even contacted my MP, who requested the passport on my behalf, but still nothing.

I'm beginning to be desperate. Does anyone know what else can be done? Is it possible to just go to Liverpool and pick it up myself? Would a solicitor help? Is there anything they can do that I can't? Can my embassy do anything? Any thoughts would be welcome.
Hey captcha,

It sounds like you've done all you can, except for making a complaint. I've pasted below my post from December, describing the steps I took.

Have you chased the MP's office to find out if they've heard anything, or what they intend to do to escalate it?
from my post 17/12/2012 wrote: 14/11/2012: Emailed RODR form to RODRequests@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
14/11/2012: Realised the email should have gone to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk, so forwarded to that address
28/11/2012: Phoned UKBA (0151 672 5626 - actual number behind 0845 010 5200), and was told to send the request via email again
28/11/2012: Sent second email to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk
03/12/2012: After reading various posts on this forum, I decided to contact my local MP's office, to seek their assistance. They made contact with the UKBA on that day, and were told that both email requests were logged in the system and would be followed up (The MP's office then have to wait for the UKBA to come back to them)
10/12/2012: Contacted an immigration lawyer to see if they could assist. They said they would be able to, however there were no guarantees that they would be successful (didn't pursue this route)
11/12/2012: Sent a letter (Special Delivery) to the UKBA, detailing my email requests, and asking for return of the passports to allow us to travel for Christmas. I included a return Special Delivery satchel
11/12/2012: Sent a complaint to UKBACustomerComplaints@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, explaining the contact attempted so far (yet to receive a response)
12/12/2012: Phoned UKBA again, was told once again to send another email request. I spoke to 3 different people (person who answered the phone, their supervisor, then the supervisor's supervisor) - all gave the same response - "send another email". There seems to be no route to escalate the request within the UKBA, despite them missing their 10 day "deadline" twice. Sent my third request to LiverpoolEuro.PassportReturns@UKBA.gsi.gov.uk
12/12/2012: Spoke to the MP's office again, and they were yet to hear anything from the UKBA. They then escalated their request (they seem to have their own 'relationship manager' within the UKBA) - and advised me that they would provide a response by the end of the next day.
14/12/2012: MP's office phoned to say that the UKBA had dispatched the passports the previous evening (Special Delivery Next Day) and would be with me that day - waited in, however they didn't show up (assume they were sent too late to make it "next day")
17/12/2012: Passports arrived! (Special Delivery, Saturday Guarantee - not in the satchel I provided (however Royal Mail failed to get them here on Saturday))

chinouk

Post by chinouk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi guys, I need help please.

I have sent my ee2 application together with my partner eea3 on 15th Jan, Ho received on 16th Jan. However, I have lost my special delivery tracking number. I wrote email to Liverpool office asking for 1) CAO for me and 2) return of passport for my partner. They replied me very quickly, but told me without tracking number, they can not locate my application and cant send the passport back.

Yes, I have not received my COA yet, so they dont have my information on their database, I also contacted the local post office and royal mail, they both cant help me. Does anyone know how I can get back my partner passport?

Thank you very much.

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:25 pm

chinouk wrote:Hi guys, I need help please.

I have sent my ee2 application together with my partner eea3 on 15th Jan, Ho received on 16th Jan. However, I have lost my special delivery tracking number. I wrote email to Liverpool office asking for 1) CAO for me and 2) return of passport for my partner. They replied me very quickly, but told me without tracking number, they can not locate my application and cant send the passport back.

Yes, I have not received my COA yet, so they dont have my information on their database, I also contacted the local post office and royal mail, they both cant help me. Does anyone know how I can get back my partner passport?

Thank you very much.
chinouk,

As far as I'm aware, until the COA is issued, the only reference for your application is your Special Delivery number - this means they'd need to look up your details using that number.

How do you know that they received your application on 16th?

chinouk

Post by chinouk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi flipper 77,
Thank you for your reply. I checked on 16th Jan on Royal Mail, They received it with signature, after that, I just throw away the receipt, thought no use any more, so so stupid. Now I need COA for my employer and my partner needs passport to travel.

I guess until I receive my COA, nothing we can do at the moment. It has been 3 weeks since I sent my application, so I just hope they can send my COA soon.
flipper77 wrote:
chinouk,

As far as I'm aware, until the COA is issued, the only reference for your application is your Special Delivery number - this means they'd need to look up your details using that number.

How do you know that they received your application on 16th?

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:11 pm

chinouk wrote:Hi flipper 77,
Thank you for your reply. I checked on 16th Jan on Royal Mail, They received it with signature, after that, I just throw away the receipt, thought no use any more, so so stupid. Now I need COA for my employer and my partner needs passport to travel.

I guess until I receive my COA, nothing we can do at the moment. It has been 3 weeks since I sent my application, so I just hope they can send my COA soon.
I take it you checked on Royal Mail's website? Did you do this on a laptop/PC? I'm just wondering if your browser saves 'form information'? If it does, you can just go back to http://track2.royalmail.com/portal/rm/t ... gear=track and start typing in a code - work through the alphabet - and when you get to the letter that your tracking reference begins with, it will appear! (This works for me, in internet explorer).

Hope this helps!

chinouk

Post by chinouk » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:19 pm

I cleared my online history last week. :(

but thanks for the help anyway. Now just pray for my COA.
flipper77 wrote:
I take it you checked on Royal Mail's website? Did you do this on a laptop/PC? I'm just wondering if your browser saves 'form information'? If it does, you can just go back to http://track2.royalmail.com/portal/rm/t ... gear=track and start typing in a code - work through the alphabet - and when you get to the letter that your tracking reference begins with, it will appear! (This works for me, in internet explorer).

Hope this helps![/quote]

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:55 pm

chinouk wrote:I cleared my online history last week. :(
How annoying! I hope your COA arrives very very soon!

captcha
Newly Registered

Post by captcha » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:52 pm

hi flipper77, thanks for replying. Today I called the MP and she said that she needs to wait for UKBA to reply to her. I said that in my experience they never reply, but she said that they probably will to her. So we agreed we would wait until mid next week and if nothing happens she will chase it up...
Meanwhile I'm planning to seek assistance from my embassy, and to issue a new request myself.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:25 am

flipper77 wrote:

Hope this helps!
i did this for ours, dunno what happened to our RM tracking no... glad i put the return ones on paper and phone though ;) lol

captcha
Newly Registered

Post by captcha » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am

Finally received my passport yesterday, so relieved!

I tried many things and I don't know which is the one they actioned to, so here's the full timeline.

* 28/11/12 UKBA received my app
* 20/12/12 Received COA
* 07/01/13 First passport request, via e-mail with form to Liverpool address
* 18/01/13 Second passport request, via e-mail with form to both Liverpool and RODR addresses
* 21/01/13 Posted letter requesting passport
* 30/01/13 Contacted MP asking her to get involved
* 01/02/13 One of many phone calls to them. This time I got them to check my case and they said "we got your letter yesterday". I suspect that was the MP's
* 08/02/13 Third request, e-mail with form to both addresses
* 11/02/13 Received phone call from UKBA at 7pm (!?) telling me they would post it that day
* 13/02/13 Received passports in one of the SD envelopes I had enclosed in the application

Along with the passports there was a letter stating that I would need a Family Permit to return to the UK. I am a non-visa national, so I don't think this applies to me, so I'm planning to just bring my COA and copies of my marriage cert. I'll be travelling together with my wife. Anyone had problems doing this?

Thanks to everyone who shared their stories here, it has been so helpful!
Last edited by captcha on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

renu

Post by renu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:29 am

captcha wrote:Finally received my passport yesterday, so relieved!

I tried many things and I don't know which is the one they actioned to, so here's the full timeline.

* 28/11/12 UKBA received my app
* 20/12/12 Received COA
* 07/01/13 First passport request, via e-mail with form to Liverpool address
* 18/01/13 Second passport request, via e-mail with form to both Liverpool and RODR addresses
* 21/01/13 Posted letter requesting passport
* 30/01/13 Contacted MP asking her to get involved
* 01/02/13 One of many phone calls to them. This time I got them to check my case and they said "we got your letter yesterday". I suspect that was the MP's
* 08/02/13 Third request, e-mail with form to both addresses
* 11/02/13 Received phone call from UKBA at 7pm (!?) telling me they would post it that day
* 13/02/13 Received passports in one of the SD envelopes I had enclosed in the application

Along with the passports there was a letter stating that I would need a Family Permit to return to the UK. I am a non-visa national, so I don't think this I applies to me, so I'm planning to just bring my COA and copies of my marriage cert. I'll be travelling together with my wife. Anyone had problems doing this?

Thanks to everyone who shared their stories here, it has been so helpful!

Is ur marriage certificate not meant to b with HO as evidence of marriage....just asking...

captcha
Newly Registered

Post by captcha » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

renu wrote:Is ur marriage certificate not meant to b with HO as evidence of marriage....just asking...
Exactly, I don't think I would even be able to apply as they have all the documents. I only have photocopies of what I sent.

renu

Post by renu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:51 pm

captcha wrote:
renu wrote:Is ur marriage certificate not meant to b with HO as evidence of marriage....just asking...
Exactly, I don't think I would even be able to apply as they have all the documents. I only have photocopies of what I sent.

Ok

chinouk

Post by chinouk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Can you not order one from register office? as far as I know, they keep the original one, and sent us the certified copy anyway?

so the certificate we send to HO always the certified copy.
renu wrote:
captcha wrote:

Ok

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 pm

You can obtain a certified copy of a UK marriage certificate from a register office for a small fee of circa £15 per copy.

captcha
Newly Registered

Post by captcha » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:33 pm

Plum70 wrote:You can obtain a certified copy of a UK marriage certificate from a register office for a small fee of circa £15 per copy.
Hi, thanks for the answers. I actually got married in my home country before coming to the UK, so it would be more difficult than that. Anyway I don't think I'll have enough time to apply for a FP while abroad, so I'm not planning to do that at the moment.

Worst case I still have a valid Tier 2 visa which I could use, but I would prefer instead to re-enter the UK through the EEA route if possible, so I'll try to do it using just the COA. I think I've seen somewhere in this forum that this is possible.

dannii
Newly Registered

Post by dannii » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm a lebanese national with EU residency (spouse is an EU national). I received my Coa in October, 2 months after we were relocated to the UK. I will travel end of March to Europe, and as a result I'm thinking of requesting my passport back from the UKBA. My "entry clearance" / visa has expired since mid January.
The question is will I be able to re-enter the UK with my passport and the Coa only since the RC hasn't been issued yet?

thank you

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Post by nidaulhaque » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:34 am

dannii wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm a lebanese national with EU residency (spouse is an EU national). I received my Coa in October, 2 months after we were relocated to the UK. I will travel end of March to Europe, and as a result I'm thinking of requesting my passport back from the UKBA. My "entry clearance" / visa has expired since mid January.
The question is will I be able to re-enter the UK with my passport and the Coa only since the RC hasn't been issued yet?

thank you
I think you can but wait for any guru to reply

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:00 am

dannii wrote:Hi Everyone,

thank you
If you can get to the border, you will be admitted with the CoA. The difficult part would be getting there. Boarding a flight without a proper visa (as you are a visa national) would be difficult. Taking the train/ferry should be possible.