ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport name change after marriage for Tier-1 PSW

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

neesh

Passport name change after marriage for Tier-1 PSW

Post by neesh » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:56 am

Hi

My wife is on a Tier-1 PSW visa which she got before marriage.
Her passport expires before her visa and we are planning to get her a new passport by applying to the High Commission of India in the UK. We plan to get her new passport in her new name (after marriage) that includes her surname changed to mine.

My question is once i have the new passport, how do i get the old visa on the old passport (which has her maiden name) moved to her new passport?

Do i even need to get that changed?

Does someone know if the High commission of India keep the old passport when providing a new one, or they allow us to keep both the passports?

If we travel with both her passports, using the visa on her old passport and new passport for her identity, is that going to cause trouble with immigration?

any help in this regard will be appreciated

thanks

z18runway

Re: Passport name change after marriage for Tier-1 PSW

Post by z18runway » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:53 pm

My question is once i have the new passport, how do i get the old visa on the old passport (which has her maiden name) moved to her new passport?
You dont need to get visa on the new passport as they put a seal on your new passport saying the holder previously traveled on passport number ****** dated ****** issued at ***** which has been cancelled and returned to the holder as it bears valid visas.
Do i even need to get that changed?
I don't think you need to change maiden name as this is not going to cause her any trouble, she can have her surname as it is, if at all you want to change your name as surname on the new passport, you need to ask Indian high commission in London, and moreover her visa will be on her old surname and new passport on your surname which will surely cause trouble.
Does someone know if the High commission of India keep the old passport when providing a new one, or they allow us to keep both the passports?
They will cut a bit on the front cover and give it back with the seal CANCELLED on the old passport
If we travel with both her passports, using the visa on her old passport and new passport for her identity, is that going to cause trouble with immigration?
Thats the procedure and everyone have to carry their old passport and new all the time while travelling and you wont have any trouble at immigration.