ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI Question Please Help

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xechIE
Newly Registered

OCI Question Please Help

Post by xechIE » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:33 am

Hi Guys I have a question, I want to get OCI, I was born in India on about 1990, My parents are from other countries but they are not Indian, How can I proceed to get it?

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: OCI Question Please Help

Post by vinitmanu » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:14 pm

xechIE wrote:Hi Guys I have a question, I want to get OCI, I was born in India on about 1990, My parents are from other countries but they are not Indian, How can I proceed to get it?
Do you meet the OCI eligibility criteria?
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

xechIE
Newly Registered

Post by xechIE » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:30 pm

vinitmanu wrote:
xechIE wrote:Hi Guys I have a question, I want to get OCI, I was born in India on about 1990, My parents are from other countries but they are not Indian, How can I proceed to get it?
Yes I do think I meet it. I don't know what they really mean but since I was born there I meet it

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:09 pm

xechIE wrote:
vinitmanu wrote:
Yes I do think I meet it. I don't know what they really mean but since I was born there I meet it
If you elaborate your situation, maybe I or someone on this forum will be able to help you.

xechIE
Newly Registered

Post by xechIE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks I will explain better, I was going to the criteria which said

"A foreign national, who was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950 or was a citizen of India on or at any time after 26.01.1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947 and his/her children and grand children, provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws, is eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)"

I read this and since I was born in India in around 1991 I think that I would have been able to get citizenship in 1950, I read this answer regarding who was a citizen of 1950 from the Indian consulate website and got confused

"Any person who or either of whose parents or grand-parents were born in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 (as originally Enacted), and who was ordinarily residing in any country outside India but was eligible to become citizen of India as on 26.01.1950."

I was born in India, but I think I am eligible by birth, I don't know how to proceed, Is there something special I have to do?, Since none of my sibilings were born there I don't know how this answer applies.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm

Do you have any of these
Birth Certificate from Indian Municipality or Panchayat. For applicants born in UK, full version Birth Certificate from Registrar of Births/Local Borough. For any other foreign-born applicant Birth Certificate must be in full version and it has to be translated in Hindi/English by a reputed and registered translation authority.

Recently issued birth Certificate from Municipality/Panchayat etc., invariably certified by the District Magistrate/District Collector of the area with name, stamp, seal and contact telephone numbers with area code for verification.

School Leaving Certificate, at least Secondary School onwards from required Board. Post dated School Certificate/School Leaving Certificate from India should be authenticated by Director of Education/District Magistrate/District Collector of the area with name, stamp, seal and contact telephone numbers with area code for verification.

Domicile Certificate of the applicant or of his/her parents/grandparents issued from concerned Competent Authority in India i.e. District Magistrate/Collectors/Sub Divisional Magistrate of the District/Sub Divisions, may also be accepted as a proof of Indian Origin.
Nativity Certificate issued by an Officer should be certified by the District Magistrate/District Collector of the area with name, stamp, seal and contact telephone numbers with area code for verification.
If so, then head over to your nearest HCI after having filled up the online form and carrying all supporting documents .

I assume you have your British Passport and Naturalisation Certificate.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

xechIE wrote:Thanks I will explain better, I was going to the criteria which said

"A foreign national, who was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950 or was a citizen of India on or at any time after 26.01.1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947 and his/her children and grand children, provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws, is eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)"

I read this and since I was born in India in around 1991 I think that I would have been able to get citizenship in 1950, I read this answer regarding who was a citizen of 1950 from the Indian consulate website and got confused

"Any person who or either of whose parents or grand-parents were born in India as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935 (as originally Enacted), and who was ordinarily residing in any country outside India but was eligible to become citizen of India as on 26.01.1950."

I was born in India, but I think I am eligible by birth, I don't know how to proceed, Is there something special I have to do?, Since none of my sibilings were born there I don't know how this answer applies.
Ahh... that explains it now. However, Although you were born in India.. did you at any point hold an Indian Passport?

xechIE
Newly Registered

Post by xechIE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks Guys, No I didn't have a Indian Passport at any time, I didn't get citizenship from India either, I have an American documents and not British passports or anything like that.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Get your birth certificate from India and get it attested/notarised in India.

Once you have that, you should be able to apply.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Your case is indeed interesting.

Now you see, as far as I understood under the 1955 Act, a person born in India on or after January 26, 1950 and before July 1, 1987 is a citizen by birth irrespective of the nationality of his parents. If you were born in India on or after July 1, 1987 and before January 7, 2004, at least one of your parents must have been a citizen of India at the time of your birth for you to qualify as a citizen by birth.

Having said that, you might want to read a legal document or take a legal advice.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:59 pm

krazydude wrote:Get your birth certificate from India and get it attested/notarised in India.

No you are not quite right. The OP might not even be eligible to become an Indian citizen. It has to comply the law.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:26 pm

vinitmanu wrote:
krazydude wrote:Get your birth certificate from India and get it attested/notarised in India.

No you are not quite right. The OP might not even be eligible to become an Indian citizen. It has to comply the law.
@OP - any one of your parents an Indian citizen ?

xechIE
Newly Registered

Post by xechIE » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:27 pm

vinitmanu wrote:

Thanks Guys, I will have to speak with the consulate and tell them.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:47 pm

xechIE wrote:
vinitmanu wrote:

Thanks Guys, I will have to speak with the consulate and tell them.
Good luck and keep us posted.