ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question on Naturalisation as spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ironrose
Newly Registered

Question on Naturalisation as spouse

Post by ironrose » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 pm

My wife has come to the UK in may 2008 ... however she was on a work permit till Dec 2010..
She converted to a spouse visa in Dec 2010 and got her ILR in Dec 2012.

I am currently a british citizen after acquiring citizenship in Sept 2012.

based on my current citizenship does it mean that my wife can apply for naturalisation as she has been in the UK for more than three years( albeit different visa category rather than spouse) and now has an ILR and or does she have to wait until Dec 2013 to qualify for Naturalisation
Last edited by ironrose on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: Question on Naturalisation as spouse

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:06 pm

ironrose wrote:My wife has come to the UK since may 2008 ... however she was on a work permit till Dec 2010..
She converted to a spouse visa in Dec 2010 and got her ILR in Dec 2012.

I am currently a british citizen after acquiring citizenship in Sept 2012.

based on my current citizenship does it mean that my wife can apply for naturalisation as she has been in the UK for more than three years( albeit different visa category rather than spouse) and now has an ILR and or does she have to wait until Dec 2013 to qualify for ILR
Your wife's been eligible since Dec'2012, assuming she meets all the standard requirements.
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

ironrose
Newly Registered

Post by ironrose » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks for your response. I did make arrangements for applying for Naturalisation, however I had a bit of of doubt in my mind that may be she needs to be here as a spouse of british citizen for three years before applying.

So am i right in saying that one can become naturalised as British Citizen if they are in the UK as a resident for three years in any visa category e.g WorkPermit, tier 1 and are married to british citizen and currently hold an ILR???

cricinfo

Post by cricinfo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am

ironrose wrote:Thanks for your response. I did make arrangements for applying for Naturalisation, however I had a bit of of doubt in my mind that may be she needs to be here as a spouse of british citizen for three years before applying.

So am i right in saying that one can become naturalised as British Citizen if they are in the UK as a resident for three years in any visa category e.g WorkPermit, tier 1 and are married to british citizen and currently hold an ILR???
You are right. She is eligible to apply for BC now if she meets all other requirements

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:28 am

ironrose wrote:Thanks for your response. I did make arrangements for applying for Naturalisation, however I had a bit of of doubt in my mind that may be she needs to be here as a spouse of british citizen for three years before applying.

From what you are saying, your wife can apply now. As I said earlier, make sure she meets all the other standard requirements.
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

ironrose
Newly Registered

Post by ironrose » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 pm

Fantastic!!

Thanks for your support and responses.

The application has been placed today .. fingers crossed.

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Good luck, ironrose; let us know how it turns out!

cricinfo, could you please point me to where in the immigration rules/UKBA guidance it says a spouse of a BC applying for naturalisation can be on any visa during the qualifying 3 year period? I see this is the same information given in the FAQ but I can't seem to locate where in the guidance/rules it specifies this.

Many thanks!

John

Post by John » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm

This UKBA webpage ...... click here ..... gives details of the eligibility when thinking of making an application for Naturalisation as a spouse (or Civil Partner) of a British Citizen.

I feel there is a danger that some posting in this topic are in danger of making a simple matter much more complicated, when it is not. In particular read the section headed "Residential Requirements", and do not invent requirements that are not in place.

As regards "have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.", yes there are other matters to consider, but as regards that particular requirement, any visa type makes the person "legal" in the UK, even an in-date visitor visa!
John