ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

B.Citizenship - Referees and ESOL question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rj30337
Newly Registered

B.Citizenship - Referees and ESOL question

Post by rj30337 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi all,

My wife has just been granted ILR. Two questions:

1 - Can she use the same ESOL certificate for British Citizenship that was used for ILR application?

2 - Can my sister (her sister in law) count as one of her referees? The guidance notes say no relatives can be referees, but they do not give an exact definition of what counts as a relative.

Thanks for your thoughts!

bobobo

Re: B.Citizenship - Referees and ESOL question

Post by bobobo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:41 am

Use common sense, dont you think your sister would be related to your wife!!!
rj30337 wrote:Hi all,

My wife has just been granted ILR. Two questions:

1 - Can she use the same ESOL certificate for British Citizenship that was used for ILR application?

2 - Can my sister (her sister in law) count as one of her referees? The guidance notes say no relatives can be referees, but they do not give an exact definition of what counts as a relative.

Thanks for your thoughts!

rj30337
Newly Registered

Post by rj30337 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 am

Hi bobobo, thanks for you reply.

Actually its not as simple as you might think, when no definition is given. When I applied for my Italian citizenship the same rule applied for referees (no relatives). My wife was allowed to be a referee because she is not a blood relative.

Hence my question.

Would be helpful to hear more opinions on this :)

skymoon

Post by skymoon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 am

rj30337 wrote:Hi bobobo, thanks for you reply.

Actually its not as simple as you might think, when no definition is given. When I applied for my Italian citizenship the same rule applied for referees (no relatives). My wife was allowed to be a referee because she is not a blood relative.

Hence my question.

Would be helpful to hear more opinions on this :)
Yes, your sister can give reference to your wife. Good luck

Casa

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:09 pm

Skymoon is incorrect. Your sister in- law is related to you...so no you can't use her as a referee.

skymoon

Post by skymoon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Casa wrote:Skymoon is incorrect. Your sister in- law is related to you...so no you can't use her as a referee.
UKBA booklet that not a relative of applicant. I use Uncle of my wife as a referee and got approval. He is an accountant and not related to me.