ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application processing timelines (only)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rod_p

Post by rod_p » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Alish60 wrote: From what you explaiend I understand they may not even do the PNC check if there is no evidence to show the applicant may have criminal conviction. If that is correct, what do they mean by evidence? Is it the self declaration on application form? Or maybe I am wrong and they do the check for everyone! !
The caseworker's guidance docs are written by civil servants for civil servants to try to clarify laws that are sometimes ambiguous. If you read them, you will find a lot of points that still seem to be ambiguous ( like the one you just highlighted ).

However, my interpretation ( and belief ) from reading the doc is a PNC is done for everybody ( of course, no CRB is ever done - you will see no mention of it in the doc ).

The PNC is made up of quite a collection of information that includes all information the police have ever compiled about you including "intelligence" which may well be wrong. If for example, your neighbor stated you were growing drugs in your back garden, that would be recorded - even if the plant happened to be turnips ( but the police never bothered to check ). The sum of all the information ( "balance of probabilities" as it's stated in various docs ) is what is used to decide your naturalisation case.

sarwar74

Post by sarwar74 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:43 pm

FOR GOD SAKE PLEASE PLEASE USE HERE FOR TIME LINE ONLY .THANKS TO EVRY ONE TO GIVE US HELP

emmigrator123

Re: Council update - No certificate received

Post by emmigrator123 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:39 pm

BigSam wrote:hi emmigrator123,

Did you find your certificate at Leeds then? I just spoke to my council and they said they don't have anything for me!
BigSam, yes the certificate is in Leeds, at least that's what they told me. I am trying to arrange a private ceremony with them as the public one is at the end of March. They have been absolutely a pain in the ***. Now I have postponed my travel to the Netherlands resulting in a lot stress and financial loss.

If the citizenship is not going to impact you massively, at least in the short term, I suggest you take it easy mate I tell you stress is no good and I won't wish UKBA and other bureaucracy issues I am dealing with even to my enemy.

BigSam

Re: Council update - No certificate received

Post by BigSam » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Hi emmigrator123,

Yes I thought you were supposed to have moved end of this week, sorry to hear about the trouble this is causing you.

I have been waiting for over a 3 and a half months now, however, the truth of the matter is, it has no direct impact on anythig for the time being actually. I have already decided to forget about it and as of today, I am only casually visiting the forum rather than be on it evey time I am online.

Keep us posted when you get your ceremory lad and best of luck with your new journey in Netherlands. I went to Amsterdam a few years ago, it was fun :wink:
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...

Alish60

well

Post by Alish60 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:09 am

rod_p wrote:
Alish60 wrote: From what you explaiend I understand they may not even do the PNC check if there is no evidence to show the applicant may have criminal conviction. If that is correct, what do they mean by evidence? Is it the self declaration on application form? Or maybe I am wrong and they do the check for everyone! !
The caseworker's guidance docs are written by civil servants for civil servants to try to clarify laws that are sometimes ambiguous. If you read them, you will find a lot of points that still seem to be ambiguous ( like the one you just highlighted ).

However, my interpretation ( and belief ) from reading the doc is a PNC is done for everybody ( of course, no CRB is ever done - you will see no mention of it in the doc ).

The PNC is made up of quite a collection of information that includes all information the police have ever compiled about you including "intelligence" which may well be wrong. If for example, your neighbor stated you were growing drugs in your back garden, that would be recorded - even if the plant happened to be turnips ( but the police never bothered to check ). The sum of all the information ( "balance of probabilities" as it's stated in various docs ) is what is used to decide your naturalisation case.
Thanks for the explanation, well I have to disagree with you, I am pretty sure the caseworker does not care about "what your neighbours say" as an example, even if he cares and want, he still can't refuse your application because of minor things like that. If you read the "Annex D" good character requirements, page 10 underneath 4.1.5 it clearly says **caseworkers should not asume the applicant to be guilty of a charge itself under any circumstances"" we all know a neighbour's report is less serious than an actual charge, so if even a charge on it's own means notting, then the onlyconcern should be conviction or caution etc, not aaccusations or even charges without conviction. Am I wrong?
This is the related link:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ch18annexd

rod_p

Re: well

Post by rod_p » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:06 am

Alish60 wrote: ...onlyconcern should be conviction or caution etc, not aaccusations or even charges without conviction. Am I wrong?
You are correct in what you say. However, again I must state you will find a lot of points that seem to be ambiguous. Some parts of a doc will say one thing and other parts or other docs will form a contradiction.

On the surface, it would seem that "no criminal convictions = naturalisation now". However, if you read the documentation and witness the plight of many of this forum's members, it is not so simple. UKBA does state on their website "there is no definition of good character in nationality law". Clearly ambiguous.

On page 44 of the document I pointed you to, it states:

The consequences of the person’s actions. Involves looking at the offence the person has committed. The person does not need to be convicted for specifically causing a particular offence which makes them culpable to the criminal standard, for example, they commit a serious offence but convicted of a lesser one because it cannot be proven beyond reasonable doubt they were guilty of the more serious offence. Instead, you must look at the consequences

And, later on page 80, it states:

However, although you must stick to the principle of innocent until proven guilty, insufficient evidence to bring a case to court does not prevent you refusing the application. This is because the standard of proof is lower for a refusal under character and/or conduct grounds.

Sorry Mr. sarwar74 for engaging in this debate. However, some members have the tendency to be very stressed about slow approvals and some of what myself and Mr. Alisha are discussing are relevant and perhaps helpful to those who encounter prolonged approvals. If the moderators can move this debate to a more suitable location, then great - I agree with that decision as I understand the importance of this thread to those that is is mainly aimed at.

Alish60

Re: well

Post by Alish60 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:32 am

rod_p wrote:
Alish60 wrote: ...onlyconcern should be conviction or caution etc, not aaccusations or even charges without conviction. Am I wrong?
You are correct in what you say. However, again I must state you will find a lot of points that seem to be ambiguous. Some parts of a doc will say one thing and other parts or other docs will form a contradiction.

On the surface, it would seem that "no criminal convictions = naturalisation now". However, if you read the documentation and witness the plight of many of this forum's members, it is not so simple. UKBA does state on their website "there is no definition of good character in nationality law". Clearly ambiguous.

On page 44 of the document I pointed you to, it states:

The consequences of the person’s actions. Involves looking at the offence the person has committed. The person does not need to be convicted for specifically causing a particular offence which makes them culpable to the criminal standard, for example, they commit a serious offence but convicted of a lesser one because it cannot be proven beyond reasonable doubt they were guilty of the more serious offence. Instead, you must look at the consequences

And, later on page 80, it states:

However, although you must stick to the principle of innocent until proven guilty, insufficient evidence to bring a case to court does not prevent you refusing the application. This is because the standard of proof is lower for a refusal under character and/or conduct grounds.

Sorry Mr. sarwar74 for engaging in this debate. However, some members have the tendency to be very stressed about slow approvals and some of what myself and Mr. Alisha are discussing are relevant and perhaps helpful to those who encounter prolonged approvals. If the moderators can move this debate to a more suitable location, then great - I agree with that decision as I understand the importance of this thread to those that is is mainly aimed at.
from what you put on I still understand it needs to be a guilt, or maybe I am wrong, it says " you must stick to the principle of innocent until proven guilty", I mean if the charge was dropped, then it is a different story, it was dropped, but if they can prove someone has done something wrong and he or she is founded guilty but with less sentence because of lack of evidence then they can refuse. I know where you are coming from, then again like what you said "there is no definition of good character in nationality law" therefore their hands are open to do whatever they like,
**About what Mr. sarwar74 said is right but what we are saying is not irrelevant. we must have a sticky topic about the delays and the possible causes, these is very important. it needs to stay at the top like the timelines, because the main concern for everyone is the delay and the causes. so moderators attention please, we need a sticky topic for this issue.

rod_p

Post by rod_p » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:06 am

Again, it is very ambiguous:

"insufficient evidence to bring a case to court does not prevent you refusing the application".

If a case doesn't even go to court, clearly you can be refused without being guilty of a crime!

Here's an example ( true story ): I was coming to my car one day after work ( parked at a mall in Budapest ). I was arrested at gunpoint by 12 police officers who claimed the day before a thief had stolen a laptop, put it under my car and a witness saw me remove this laptop put it in my car and drive off. Utter nonsense - I had some groceries including a bag of Doritos cornchips ( black and similar in size to a laptop ). I had looked under my car to check out a persistent fuel leak that had just needed servicing twice. The witness ( mall security ) made a mistake. I spent 2 days in jail - even got fired as a result. The police told my embassy they "knew" I did what they accused me of. Very fortunately this happened outside the UK and this "police intelligence" was not sitting in front of the UK caseworker when my naturalisation was decided! The "case" dragged on for 6 months but was not taken to trial due to insufficient "evidence".

Again, "insufficient evidence to bring a case to court does not prevent you refusing the application" - I could have easily been refused citizenship for liking cornchips, having a leaky fuel system and coming across incompetent police officers.

physku
Newly Registered

Post by physku » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:24 am

I-L-R-2011 wrote:Eligibility criteria: 5 years HSMP(JR)/Tier1 + 1 year ILR
Method of application: NCS Aldershot
Date of application: 24 January 2013
Date of receipt by UKBA: 25 January 2013 (Royal mail tracking)
Method of Payment : Credit card
Date of debit of fees: 29/01/2013
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 01/02/2013 (dated 29/01/2013
Date of receipt of approval:TBC
Date of Ceremony: TBC
Any updates on your side. I applied same day as you but received ackw dated one day later. I see that some one who applied on 23 Jan already received their approval. Looks like NCS is taking more time ...

physku
Newly Registered

Post by physku » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:28 am

Alish60 wrote:
jp1007 wrote:Eligibility criteria: 5yr workpermit plus 1 year ILR
Method of application: Postal
Date of receipt by UKBA: 23 Jan 13
Date of debit of fees: 28 Jan 13
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 31 Jan 13
Date of receipt of approval: 6 Feb 13
Date of Ceremony: 26 Feb 13
Congratulations, well done ukba, hope you do everyone's as fast as this ones.

Looks like postal ones are getting done faster as ukba was recently under criticism for holding onto passports when people needed it most. I did NCS (WP/Tier1 5 years + 1 yr ILR) one day later (24 th Jan), fee debited 28 thJan, ackw dated 31 st Jan and received on 6th Feb. Haven't received any approval as yet. Lets see if the brown envelope appears next week.

I-L-R-2011

Post by I-L-R-2011 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:49 am

physku wrote:
Any updates on your side. I applied same day as you but received ackw dated one day later. I see that some one who applied on 23 Jan already received their approval. Looks like NCS is taking more time ...
No news yet...still waiting ......!!! I don't know whats happening in UKBA some ppl got approval in 12-17 days time and some are still waiting even after 8 months :?

sarwar74

Post by sarwar74 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:02 pm

hello pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee dont keep sending topic just stay cool and waiting its home office you cant do any thing about it here just for time line

miki1999
Newly Registered

Post by miki1999 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Application Timeline :
Eligibility criteria: 6 yrs EU Citizen
Method of application: NCS Exeter
Date of receipt by UKBA: 08 February 2013
Date of debit of fees: 14 February 2013
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: TBC
Date of receipt of approval: TBC

Edited : wrong year : 2012 instead of 2013
Last edited by miki1999 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

when to apply for ctizenship

Post by Damanisshallo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 pm

inzi2k wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone let me know when to apply for naturalization?

I came to UK on 20 Feb 2002

Completed 10 years in UK and applied for ILR on 20 Feb 2012

ILR received on 20 Aug 2012

ILR issue date 15 Aug 2012 and expiry date 20 Feb 2022

I understand that I need to complete 1 year before I apply for naturalization BUT I don' know that when will this 1 year gets complete!!

Would I apply for naturalization on 20 Feb 2013 or 20 Aug 2013 ?

Thanks
15 months from 20 Feb 2012 which would be 20 May 2013, if your ILR application was protracted by the UKBA.
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

sphgb
Newly Registered

Successful

Post by sphgb » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 am

Application Timeline :
Eligibility criteria: 10 yrs + 1 yr ilr
Method of application: Post office
Date of application: 28 DEC 2012
Date of debit of fees: 12 jan 2013
Date of receipt of approval: 18 Feb 2013

kmore97

Post by kmore97 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 am

I-L-R-2011 wrote:
physku wrote:
No news yet...still waiting ......!!! I don't know whats happening in UKBA some ppl got approval in 12-17 days time and some are still waiting even after 8 months :?
Myobservation is direct UKBA postal applications are faster than applications through NCS.

jagait

Post by jagait » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

kmore97 wrote:
I-L-R-2011 wrote:
physku wrote:
Myobservation is direct UKBA postal applications are faster than applications through NCS.
IMO thats because for postal apps the UKBA lets applicants know if their application has been successfull when the documents are returned.

maverick250
Newly Registered

Post by maverick250 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:05 am

Eligibility criteria: 5 years Ancestry + 1 year ILR
Method of application: NCS Islington
Date of application: 25 January 2013
Date of receipt by UKBA: 28 January 2013 (Royal mail tracking)
Method of Payment : Debit card
Date of debit of fees: 30 January 2013
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 05 February 2013
Date of receipt of approval: 15 February (Date 14 February)
Date of Ceremony: 11 March 2013

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

AN application timeline

Post by jinkazama_11 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Application Timeline
Eligibility criteria: 5yr HSMP + 1yr ILR
Method of application: NCS
Date of application: 18/02/2013
Date of receipt by UKBA: 19/02/2013
Date of debit of fees: 23/02/2013
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 27/02/2013 (dated 23/02/2013)
Date of receipt of approval: 05/04/2013 (dated 30/03/2013)
Date of Ceremony: 10/04/2013 (private)
Last edited by jinkazama_11 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

sun_ilr

Re: AN application timeline

Post by sun_ilr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:35 pm

Hi,

I sent my Mrs application on 6th Feb and they receviced it on 12 Feb. but we are still waiting for the money to be taken out. Is it normal? because i have seen lots of cases where they have already taken the money out for the application received on 12th....

can some one give me contact number i can call...thanks

ya
Newly Registered

Post by ya » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Eligibility criteria: 5yr (HSMP) + 1yr ILR Family application 2 adult+2 children
Method of application: Postal
Date of receipt by UKBA: 14/02/2013
Date of debit of fees: 15/02/2013
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 20/02/2013 (Dated 15/02/2013)
Date of receipt of approval: 02/03/2013 (Dated 28/02/2013)
Date of Ceremony: 10/04/2013
Last edited by ya on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ibes
Newly Registered

Application Timeline

Post by Ibes » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Eligibility criteria: 5yr Tier 1 + 1yr ILR
Method of application: NCS (Tower Hamlets)
Date of application: 14/01/2013
Date of receipt by UKBA: 15/01/2013
Date of debit of fees: 22/01/2013
Date of receipt of acknowledgement: 26/01/2013
Date of receipt of approval: TBC

I see people who applied after me have received their approval letter. I guess I just have to be patient as ukba don't give any updates.

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Skydrive for Naturalization

Post by Damanisshallo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Hello All,

I've noticed that this thread is growing rapidly and members have to remember the page numbers they've entered their details for further updates. Just to make it easy and analyse the timeline for Naturalisation process I've put this Spread Sheet for everyone to use. Please feel free to update your details on Skydrive for Naturalization. Below is the procedure. However, please feel free to ask me if you need any assistance.

BTW I've used few members data as sample.

1. You need a Skydrive ID (Hotmail/MSN/Existing Email) Click here
2. Click Edit Workbook Menu
3. Select Edit in Excel Web App
4. Just add your details to the bottom of the table
5. Once done Click View and select Reading View.

NB: Do not insert any rows in between. The table gets sorted over night.
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

Alish60

Re: Nearly 3 and 1/2 month... Still waiting

Post by Alish60 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:00 pm

BigSam wrote:Roney... This is fantastic to hear buddy. congratulations!!!

I am stuck in a long journey from London heading up north and you just made my day by proving my analysis wrong. From all timelines I saw recently, I was getting the impression that once you've gone past four months, your application has fallen through the net and will need digging out by an MP or otherwise!!

Congratulations again buddy. Enjoy :wink:
Congratulations Roney, I'm really happy for you, hope BigSam and the rest who are waiting, get their approval soon. Good Luck with passport application which is the last stage of your immigration journey.
Last edited by Alish60 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagait

Re: Successful

Post by jagait » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 pm

sphgb wrote:Application Timeline :
Eligibility criteria: 10 yrs + 1 yr ilr
Method of application: Post office
Date of application: 28 DEC 2012
Date of debit of fees: 12 jan 2013
Date of receipt of approval: 18 Feb 2013
Hi,

Was this the actual approval letter or just return of docs saying that your application is successfull and approval letter will follow.