ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS for PSW dependent visa - Maternity care

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Hunt
Newly Registered

NHS for PSW dependent visa - Maternity care

Post by Hunt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:32 pm

Could someone please clear my doubt on NHS (maternity care) for a PSW dependent.
I have a PSW visa until next year, April 2014 and have been working in the UK for the last 10 months. Now my wife is applying for her dependent visa from India to come to the UK. She is pregnant and we are planning to have the child birth in the UK. I am not sure if maternity care in NHS would be free or I will have to pay for it.

Thanks in advance

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: NHS for PSW dependent visa - Maternity care

Post by bruteforce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Hunt wrote:Could someone please clear my doubt on NHS (maternity care) for a PSW dependent.
I have a PSW visa until next year, April 2014 and have been working in the UK for the last 10 months. Now my wife is applying for her dependent visa from India to come to the UK. She is pregnant and we are planning to have the child birth in the UK. I am not sure if maternity care in NHS would be free or I will have to pay for it.

Thanks in advance
Your wife would need to register with GP in order to get any treatment in the UK. Most of the services offered by NHS are free but she will have to pay for the prescription which is £7.20 at the moment.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Correction to the above, pregnant women are exempt from paying for prescriptions during their pregnancy and for a year afterwards.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:12 pm

Greenie wrote:Correction to the above, pregnant women are exempt from paying for prescriptions during their pregnancy and for a year afterwards.
I stand corrected. :)

Hunt
Newly Registered

Post by Hunt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Thanks for clearing this.
I had this doubt as I had read that the wife must also have been staying in the UK for atleast the last six months (refering as 'settled') along with the main visa holder to get free NHS treatment.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Hunt wrote:Thanks for clearing this.
I had this doubt as I had read that the wife must also have been staying in the UK for atleast the last six months (refering as 'settled') along with the main visa holder to get free NHS treatment.
Not necessarily.