ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BC application for EEA3 holders

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kiki2011
Newly Registered

BC application for EEA3 holders

Post by kiki2011 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Hello,

I am an EEA national and have had an EEA3 card since November 2009. I want to apply for BC now - do I need to fill in sections 2.4 and 2.5 of the application form?

Or can I just send my permanent residence card + P60s covering the period since November 2009 (to prove that I've been in the UK since then)?

Also, on the supporting documents page of the application form it says that I need to supply:

"Evidence of lawful residence during the 5 (or, if the applicant is married or in civil partnership to a British citizen, 3 years before the date of the application): required for applications made on the basis of residence in the United Kingdom:
required for all applicants
• Your passports OR
• Letters from employers, educational establishments or other Government Departments indicating presence in UK"

Obviously my passport doesn't show a visa or stamp. Is the EEA3 card enough to satisfy this requirement or do I need to supply anything else?

Thanks!

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: BC application for EEA3 holders

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:19 pm

kiki2011 wrote:I am an EEA national and have had an EEA3 card since November 2009. I want to apply for BC now - do I need to fill in sections 2.4 and 2.5 of the application form?
Simplest way would be to write: "please refer to enclosed PR document". With that neat little blue document you saved yourself a lot of hassle! :)
Theoretically, your passport + PR document + LITUK test certificate should be enough and you don't even need to supply any P60s (although it does makes a good impression, it should not affect your citizenship application).

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:22 pm

If it is any help my husband applied for BC in last November and in addition to his passport, PR card and LIUK test cert. the NCS agent advised that he provide his P60s covering 5 years as well as his most recent payslips.

I do not know if the above influenced the decision but he received his BC approval within 6 weeks of applying.

Guess what i'm saying is that it won't hurt to provide your P60s.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:42 pm

Plum70 wrote:If it is any help my husband applied for BC in last November and in addition to his passport, PR card and LIUK test cert. the NCS agent advised that he provide his P60s covering 5 years as well as his most recent payslips.

I do not know if the above influenced the decision but he received his BC approval within 6 weeks of applying.

Guess what i'm saying is that it won't hurt to provide your P60s.
Thank you, I'm sure the information would surely help someone on this forum.
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

kiki2011
Newly Registered

Post by kiki2011 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 pm

Thank you very much for your help.

So I will leave 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6 blank, but I am super confused about 1.3 now. It says:

1.3 Please say when you were given indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK (not necessary if you are a Commonwealth citizen with right of abode in the United Kingdom). If you are an EEA national, a Swiss national or a family member of an EEA or Swiss national you should read pages 8-10 of the Booklet AN.

On the Booklet they make a few references to indefinite leave to remain when they talk about EEA citizens and family members and I am confused because I thought EEA citizens are given 'permanent residence' as opposed to indefinite leave to remain.

With this in mind, should I fill in 1.3 (with the date when my EEA3 card was issues) or should I leave it blank?

Thanks!

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:02 pm

kiki2011 wrote:On the Booklet they make a few references to indefinite leave to remain when they talk about EEA citizens and family members and I am confused because I thought EEA citizens are given 'permanent residence' as opposed to indefinite leave to remain.
That is correct. Under EU routes you get PR, under British routes ILR. Same thing - different name basically. Don't worry about it.
kiki2011 wrote:With this in mind, should I fill in 1.3 (with the date when my EEA3 card was issues) or should I leave it blank? Thanks!
Enter the date you qualified for PR (the date you have exercised EU treaty rights for 5 years) - which is the date you atomatically receive PR status. The EEA3 process just gives you a document stating that, it does not itself change your status.

kiki2011
Newly Registered

Post by kiki2011 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks!

But since I have the PR document and will not be filling in sections 2.4-2.6, shouldn't I enter the PR (EEA3 card) issue date? It was issued in 3.5 years ago so more than enough to satisfy the 1 year 'free of immigration time restrictions' requirement.

And (out of curiosity) if I have to fill in 1.3, does it mean that 'permanent residence' for EEA citizens can also be referred to as 'indefinite leave to remain' by the Home Office?

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:11 pm

kiki2011 wrote:But since I have the PR document and will not be filling in sections 2.4-2.6, shouldn't I enter the PR (EEA3 card) issue date? It was issued in 3.5 years ago so more than enough to satisfy the 1 year 'free of immigration time restrictions' requirement.
You can - I guess it doesn't really matter. Technically the correct date is the one when you received PR status, not the date it was documented via EEA3.
kiki2011 wrote:And (out of curiosity) if I have to fill in 1.3, does it mean that 'permanent residence' for EEA citizens can also be referred to as 'indefinite leave to remain' by the Home Office?
Technically not, but it is treated in the same way for immigration purposes. It is used interchangably by everyone anyway, so again: it probably doesn't really matter.