ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Aborigine
Newly Registered

Post by Aborigine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks macgyver that is very kind of you ,
I will print the fees leaflet and fill in my bank card details and put it in the same envelope with the form and documents .

When it comes to photograph issue you asked; just one passport size photograph is enough per person.

Thanks for your response.
Regards

Aborigine
Newly Registered

Post by Aborigine » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:41 am

macgyver hello again ,

If you used your driving license during your life in the UK test so you should send the same thing according to the rules , if i were you i would send both paper part and the card itself together.
Because if they later on require the paper part , your application might be delayed , better safe then sorry.

Just in case , photocopy your driving licence card and the paper part
If you need them in the near future so you could use them for proof.
Just in case.

Good luck in your application.

A_Thinker
Newly Registered

Documents requirement for British Citizenship, plz help

Post by A_Thinker » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi All,
I have completed my 1 year under ILR and I'm now due to apply for my British Citizenship. I need some help with the documents:
  • 1. Of-course I would need my current and old expired Passports showing all visas for my past 6 years of legal stay (5 yrs in HSMP+Tier1 and then 1 yr in ILR)
    2. My Driver's license and counterpart- as I used this as a prof of identity during Life in the UK Test.
    3. 1 Photograph as required by the Form AN5
    4. Duly filled FORM AN and the Fees form
    5. Do I need any Utility Bills (i.e. Bank, water, electricity, etc) and for what duration? 1 year or past 6 months?
    6. Do I need to send my Marriage certificate? Even my wife is applying but it will be a separate application for her, i feel Marriage certificate is not required as Application for British Citizenship is independent and not dependent on marriage etc. My wife got ILR at the same time as mine. Please clarify.
    7. Also I am planning to write a covering letter confirming that Life in the UK test was passed and evidence was provided during. Also, I will mention that I'm paying a joint fees (for myself and my wife For 2 FORMs AN, Fee Type B) - as the fee form does not have any provision for husbands and wife's name together. Joint fee being £1,317.
    8. And Finally I am planning to get reference from 2 of my friends who are British Citizen and Software Professionals above the age of 25 – I believe this meets the criteria for referee, please clarify.
I will appreciate if anyone of the experts/Gurus can help me with my queries in point # 5, 6 & 8 above and also clarify if my understanding is correct for my application.

Apologies for the lengthy post and many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Documents requirement for British Citizenship, plz help

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm

A_Thinker wrote:Hi All,
I have completed my 1 year under ILR and I'm now due to apply for my British Citizenship. I need some help with the documents:
  • 1. Of-course I would need my current and old expired Passports showing all visas for my past 6 years of legal stay (5 yrs in HSMP+Tier1 and then 1 yr in ILR)
    2. My Driver's license and counterpart- as I used this as a prof of identity during Life in the UK Test.
    3. 1 Photograph as required by the Form AN5
    4. Duly filled FORM AN and the Fees form
    5. Do I need any Utility Bills (i.e. Bank, water, electricity, etc) and for what duration? 1 year or past 6 months?
    6. Do I need to send my Marriage certificate? Even my wife is applying but it will be a separate application for her, i feel Marriage certificate is not required as Application for British Citizenship is independent and not dependent on marriage etc. My wife got ILR at the same time as mine. Please clarify.
    7. Also I am planning to write a covering letter confirming that Life in the UK test was passed and evidence was provided during. Also, I will mention that I'm paying a joint fees (for myself and my wife For 2 FORMs AN, Fee Type B) - as the fee form does not have any provision for husbands and wife's name together. Joint fee being £1,317.
    8. And Finally I am planning to get reference from 2 of my friends who are British Citizen and Software Professionals above the age of 25 – I believe this meets the criteria for referee, please clarify.
I will appreciate if anyone of the experts/Gurus can help me with my queries in point # 5, 6 & 8 above and also clarify if my understanding is correct for my application.

Apologies for the lengthy post and many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
5. No.
6. Yes. Marriage certificate is required in order to enjoy from joint fee.
8. One of them needs to be a member of a professional body (such as BCS or a Chartered Engineer). Just working as a professional doesn't count.

John

Post by John » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 pm

As regards your Q8, I suggest you read this topic.
John

A_Thinker
Newly Registered

Post by A_Thinker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Thank you John for providing clarifications.

Why I mentioned utility bills is because Hillingdon council asked for utility bills for NCS. I'm planning to send my application on my own, hence getting clarification on this forum.

Also for the Referees- is it ok if one of the referee's is a Software Professional with a Masters degree in software engineering or someone who has degree in Bachelors of Engineering?

John

Post by John » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:18 pm

I do not understand why Hillingdon want such evidence when UKBA in Liverpool do not.

Referee? Please discuss in the topic I provided a link to previously.
John

Ctzn2013
Newly Registered

Post by Ctzn2013 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am

Does anyone know if we need to take any photocopies of any proofs/documents when submitting the AN or MN1 form. My application is based on Tier1 ILR and I am only taking these originals: Passports, LiUK Test certificate, Marriage Certificate, Child's birth certificate, ILR letter. I am applying via NCS Lewisham.
Thanks.

John

Post by John » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:43 am

No copies needed. NCS will take whatever copies they need.

As regards "LiUK Test certificate", didn't you use that to get ILR? If yes, you do not need to submit that, but you do need to complete the form AN appropriately.
John

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:42 pm

John wrote:No copies needed. NCS will take whatever copies they need.

As regards "LiUK Test certificate", didn't you use that to get ILR? If yes, you do not need to submit that, but you do need to complete the form AN appropriately.
I know we don't need to submit LIUK certificate again if we used it to get our ILR, but apparently it looks like it's down to individual council preferences. I am asked by hounslow council to bring my original LIUK certificate with me which will be submitted with application and I'd be handed a copy of it

I-L-R-2011

Post by I-L-R-2011 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi Guru's

I am filling my wife's application form AN on the basis of wife of british citizen.

I have the follwoing question:

my wife has indian passport and having her family surname on it, and we havent changed her surname on the passport after getting married.

We want to have married surname on the british nationality/passport.

What should I write while filling the form AN in following section: my surname or her surname as per the passport?

section
1.5 Surname/family name:
5 Name of the applicant:
6.1 Full name in block letter:

your advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ctzn2013
Newly Registered

Post by Ctzn2013 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:36 pm

John wrote:No copies needed. NCS will take whatever copies they need.

Thanks, they didn't ask for any copies...did ask for our LiUK certificate and the identiity proof shown while taking the LiUK Test. Luckily she didn't ask for the driving licence paper counterpart ;)

kasturi75

Post by kasturi75 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:25 pm

2 questions:
1. I used my Driving license as the proof for Life in UK rest but my name on driving license is slightly different to the passport as it contains extra letter on it. Would that be an issue when I apply for BC?
Last bit of surname on DL – ‘tine’
Last bit of surname on PP – ‘tne’
2. As I published on http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=126884 my wife has a FPN due to driving using a mobile phone. Do we need to declare it on application and also send the counterpart as she used driving license as a proof for Life in UK test? Would that be a good character issue if we don’t declare it?

Thanks.

bigfatcat
Newly Registered

an application form

Post by bigfatcat » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 am

hi, my query is about 2.2 AN application form.
2.2 Please give details of all absences from the United Kingdom during the last five years. If you are married or in a civil partnership to a British citizen, give details for the last three years only (see page 7 of the Guide).

i am applying naturalization as spouse of british citizen. i never traveled out of uk ever since i entered first time in the uk. i have no absences. should i leave this page blank? do i only need to put my first arival date and place in 2.1? should i explain about this in page 13? may be its a silly question but just want to be sure of every thing.

Aborigine
Newly Registered

Re: an application form

Post by Aborigine » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 pm

bigfatcat wrote:hi, my query is about 2.2 AN application form.
2.2 Please give details of all absences from the United Kingdom during the last five years. If you are married or in a civil partnership to a British citizen, give details for the last three years only (see page 7 of the Guide).

i am applying naturalization as spouse of british citizen. i never traveled out of uk ever since i entered first time in the uk. i have no absences. should i leave this page blank? do i only need to put my first arival date and place in 2.1? should i explain about this in page 13? may be its a silly question but just want to be sure of every thing.
Hello Bigfatcat ,

I am nearly the same as you , i only left the UK for 10 days so i am gonna fill in the section the date i left the UK and the reason ( Holiday ) and the date i arrived in the UK
You can leave the section empty but you should put the date you arrived in the UK on your spouse visa ( first arrival with your spouse visa )
(Dont put other dates if you visited the UK with a tourist visa )
Because of the residential qualifying period , you should put the date you arrived in the UK on your spouse visa ( first arrival with your spouse visa )
Good luck with your application.

cutepearl

Post by cutepearl » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:53 am

Hi all,

Just have a quick question regarding the references;

I work in a large company with over 1000 employess, Can my manager sign for me on the reference page to verify me?

Thanks.

John

Post by John » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:44 pm

As regards who can, and cannot, be a referee, please let's keep the discussion in this topic.
John

robdylan

Filling in section 3 for non-working spouse

Post by robdylan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi

We're getting ready to submit our naturalisation application using form AN. I have a question about how to complete section 3 on my wife's form.

As a stay-at-home mother, she has never worked at all in the UK, hence she has no NI number and has never paid any tax. I'm unsure as to how to complete questions 3.1-3.5 of her form, given that this scenario doesn't seem to be catered for on the form.

Any advice/guidance appreciated.

Thaks
Rob

alex123
Newly Registered

naturalisation certificate reference number on form AN

Post by alex123 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Anyone know the answer? thanks.
beeba wrote:A quick simple question,

On the naturalisation certificate there are two numbers,

1. Certificate Number:XXXXXXXX
2. Reference Number: XXXXXXXX (This is actually previous HO Ref Number)

Now on form AN section 1.34 where it asks

If your partner is a nturalised British citizen, give citizenship certificate reference number.

Which Number will go on the AN form to apply for Naturalisation as a spouse of British citizen?

Thanks

ban.s

Re: Filling in section 3 for non-working spouse

Post by ban.s » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:08 pm

robdylan wrote:Hi

We're getting ready to submit our naturalisation application using form AN. I have a question about how to complete section 3 on my wife's form.

As a stay-at-home mother, she has never worked at all in the UK, hence she has no NI number and has never paid any tax. I'm unsure as to how to complete questions 3.1-3.5 of her form, given that this scenario doesn't seem to be catered for on the form.

Any advice/guidance appreciated.

Thaks
Rob
Just mention 'home maker' / 'house wife' in 3.1 and leave the other questions blank.

ban.s

Re: naturalisation certificate reference number on form AN

Post by ban.s » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 pm

alex123 wrote:Anyone know the answer? thanks.
beeba wrote:A quick simple question,

On the naturalisation certificate there are two numbers,

1. Certificate Number:XXXXXXXX
2. Reference Number: XXXXXXXX (This is actually previous HO Ref Number)

Now on form AN section 1.34 where it asks

If your partner is a nturalised British citizen, give citizenship certificate reference number.

Which Number will go on the AN form to apply for Naturalisation as a spouse of British citizen?

Thanks
1. Certificate Number.

sulabh
Newly Registered

AN Application form queries

Post by sulabh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:07 pm

Hello Admin,

I have a question regarding my application for Citizenship (Form AN), in the employment section where it is asked:

Section 3.1 - What is the best response to 'What is your occupation?' - IT Consultant
Section 3.2 - are you a. an employee; b. a business partner; c. self employed?; d. A Director? - b) A Partner

Section 3.3 - Name of the employer or business - XYZ ...
Section 3.4 - Address of the employer or business - XYZ
Section 3.5 - Address of tax office or tax office reference. - XYZ

Now, my question is that in the current year I am working as a partner of an LLP and before that for the previous 5 years I was part of PAYE and have complete P60 and stuff. Now, for this year when I am a partner of an LLP am not sure if it is fine to submit my docs with previous P60's and a letter from my current company which can confirm am part of this LLP.

Will this be fine to go ahead and submit the form as a partner before the tax return details are processed next month. As I am already eligible for my Citizenship since 30th Jan 13.

Many thanks for your inputs here.

Much appreciated.

angelo1181
Newly Registered

An application

Post by angelo1181 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:22 am

HI i am filling my an application and i would be thankful if someone help me. I was an non EEA family member to EEA citizen till 2009 and after our marriage break down in 2009. do I have to fill section 2.4?
cheers guys
Last edited by angelo1181 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diggiboyz
Newly Registered

Applying for naturalisation

Post by Diggiboyz » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:40 pm

I applied for ilr based on 10 years. I got married to a British citizen in oct 2010. Can I apply for naturalisation as soon as I receive my ilr? Or do I need to wait for a year.
Looking at the UKBA website it says you have to be married to a BC for 3 years or have been living in the UK legally for the last 5 years. Which requirement do I satisfy?
Would appreciate some help regarding this matter.

John

Post by John » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:59 pm

Looking at the UKBA website it says you have to be married to a BC for 3 years
It does? Where? Please provide the link.

If you are married to a British Citizen, you need to have your ILR, not have it for at least a year. The qualifying period is three years, so do ensure that you were physically in the UK exactly three years before UKBA will receive your Naturalisation application.
John