ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child born in UK who is also a US Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zeeshan786
Newly Registered

Child born in UK who is also a US Citizen

Post by zeeshan786 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:01 am

Hi Members,

My son was born in UK who got US Citizenship from his mother.

I got ILR recently and I like to register my Child as British Citizen.

What would happen to his BC registration application when I sent his US passport along with his UK Birth Certificate and other docs.

Can a US citizen apply for UK passport? I mean, can he keep dual nationality, or UKBA wouldn't care and I have to consult this matter with US authorities?

Please share your views on the above case.

Many thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 am

Both US and UK permit dual nationality.
Last edited by vinny on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

BigSam

Re: Child born in UK who is also a US Citizen

Post by BigSam » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:22 am

zeeshan786 wrote:Hi Members,

What would happen to his BC registration application when I sent his US passport along with his UK Birth Certificate and other docs.

Can a US citizen apply for UK passport? I mean, can he keep dual nationality, or UKBA wouldn't care and I have to consult this matter with US authorities?

Please share your views on the above case.

Many thanks.
Hello,

Check the Can I be a citizen of two countries? page. It states:

"When becoming a British citizen

You do not need to give up your present citizenship or nationality to become a British citizen.
" As for US laws, I am not sure and can't advise on that I am afraid
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it...

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:56 am

A followup question on OP's behalf: presumably the child can travel with only one country's passport, how would the child prove his UK rights (including entry/employment) upon posession of US passport?
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 am

wpilr_nov12 wrote:presumably the child can travel with only one country's passport
Why you presume that?

He should travel with both passports, producing the UK one when entering the UK borders and the US one when entering the US (the US requires US citizen to enter with a US passport). This is common practice by dual nationals.

JAJ
Australia

Re: Child born in UK who is also a US Citizen

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:12 pm

zeeshan786 wrote:Hi Members,

By the way, you don't need to send his U.S. passport for section 1(3) registration as a British citizen.

And if his mother had ILR when he was born, he's already a British citizen and registration is not required.

zeeshan786
Newly Registered

Post by zeeshan786 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses.

@JAJ, Do you really think that I don't have to send his US passport with MN1 3(1) application form? as its mentioned in the list of required documents.

His mother has just got ILR with me on 28th Feb, so I think he has to register first, isn't?

Thanks.

zeeshan786
Newly Registered

Post by zeeshan786 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:52 pm

I have an appointment with NCS on 9th April to register my son as British Citizen. My son was born in London and he is 14 months old. He holds US Citizenship from his mother. In MN1 guidance it says:

"Before continuing with your application, you should be aware that under the nationality laws of some countries a person will automatically lose their nationality if they become a citizen of another country"

Child's passport is one of the required document for MN1 application. My question is if I send his US passport along with MN1 form, would he lose his US nationality?

I urgently need your advise, please reply asap. Many thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 pm

zeeshan786 wrote:I have an appointment with NCS on 9th April to register my son as British Citizen. My son was born in London and he is 14 months old. He holds US Citizenship from his mother. In MN1 guidance it says:

"Before continuing with your application, you should be aware that under the nationality laws of some countries a person will automatically lose their nationality if they become a citizen of another country"

Child's passport is one of the required document for MN1 application. My question is if I send his US passport along with MN1 form, would he lose his US nationality?

I urgently need your advise, please reply asap. Many thanks.
No.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:16 am

zeeshan786 wrote:Thanks everyone for your responses.

@JAJ, Do you really think that I don't have to send his US passport with MN1 3(1) application form? as its mentioned in the list of required documents.
It's section 1(3). Not 3(1).

The entitlement in the British Nationality Act is not dependent on holding a foreign passport. So no, a passport cannot be required to apply for MN1.