Delay

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.
Friend

Delay

Post by Friend »

Hi,
I sent my Indian passport for cancellation by post a week back and hasn't received it back so far. I rang the High commission and the lady says it may take 4-5 weeks, to just cancel it. Can't believe this !! Can anyone confirm this from personal experience?
Thanks
mahil_2000

Post by mahil_2000 »

Are you applying for OCI? I think it can take around 2 weeks. Depends on their work load. The fastest I have heard is 10 days for the whole OCI process to be done inc. cancellation of Indian passport.
Friend

Post by Friend »

mahil_2000 wrote:Are you applying for OCI? I think it can take around 2 weeks. Depends on their work load. The fastest I have heard is 10 days for the whole OCI process to be done inc. cancellation of Indian passport.

No it is just cancellation. I just can't believe what the lady told me on the phone that it will take 4-5 weeks!
mahil_2000

Post by mahil_2000 »

They probably have a lot of work. So that could maybe the reason for delay. It could even be because there are security problems with your passport. Who knows? Maybe they prioritise OCI holders cancelling their passports first.

But I would expect it back in 2 weeks.
Friend

Post by Friend »

mahil_2000 wrote:They probably have a lot of work. So that could maybe the reason for delay. It could even be because there are security problems with your passport. Who knows? Maybe they prioritise OCI holders cancelling their passports first.

But I would expect it back in 2 weeks.

do you mean I am a security risk to India or England ?
mahil_2000

Post by mahil_2000 »

To India I mean. Have you got any criminal record in India? If you do, that could be a reason.

I just said that, because it maybe that someone might have forged a passport in your name or something like that, that could explain a large delay. Your name could be the same of some wanted person or something like that (I have heard of some funny cases of this in India). I am not trying to scare you, I am just trying to point out reasons why the consulate would take a long time in cancelling a passport.
British

Post by British »

Have you got any criminal record in India?
I am hoping that this is not the reason, but i remember that the OP had travelled to India in his invalid Indian passport (a couple of time) after he had become a british citizen.

That original thread of his post is here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ght=#76619

dated/timed: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Hopefully, you will get it sorted.
mahil_2000

Post by mahil_2000 »

He only sent it a week back. Be a bit more patient.
British

Post by British »

Mahil,

You asked him a question and i have helped you by pointing out an answer from his post, which is a direct answer to your question of criminal offense.

Now whether that is the reason or not, i don't know, but what i pointed out is also one answer to your specific question.

I know you would say that practically speaking travelling on an invalid indian passport is OK, but in theory, defenitely it is not!
It is a criminal offense!

So, its not that i am not being patient, but i was pointing out an answer to your specific question.

And one other point - like i have said, i don't wish for even a minute, that that was the reason for the delay.
Friend

Post by Friend »

I will keep you updated,
Thanks
mahil_2000

Post by mahil_2000 »

Sorry British....my bad. I meant it to Friend, not to you.
mahil_2000

Post by mahil_2000 »

My brother applied for OCI. Posted Indian passport for OCI on Monday I think. Got it back this morning cancelled. They might be prioritising OCI requests first.
Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie »

I don't understand why you have to send your passport to the Indian embassy to be cancelled. There's a much easier way to cancel it: just cut the corners of it.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.
Friend

Post by Friend »

Dawie wrote:I don't understand why you have to send your passport to the Indian embassy to be cancelled. There's a much easier way to cancel it: just cut the corners of it.
you are right. I should have done it & stamped it 'cancelled' !!!.

As for my criminal record - in answer to 'British' & mahil2000- the lady at the embassy who answered my call didn't ask for any of my personal details before giving me the answer that it will take 4 weeks. So it is not my 'criminal offense' which made her give this answer.

I sent it to the Passport section and not OCI. This may account for the delay. No choice now but to wait !

Thanks again
Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie »

As for my criminal record - in answer to 'British' & mahil2000- the lady at the embassy who answered my call didn't ask for any of my personal details before giving me the answer that it will take 4 weeks. So it is not my 'criminal offense' which made her give this answer.
I think British and mahil2000 have been a little premature to accuse you of being a criminal. You need to be charged, tried and convicted before that is the case and I'd be willing to bet that that will never happen, particular because the Indian embassy has no way of knowing.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.
mahil_2000

Post by mahil_2000 »

Dawie wrote: I think British and mahil2000 have been a little premature to accuse you of being a criminal. You need to be charged, tried and convicted before that is the case and I'd be willing to bet that that will never happen, particular because the Indian embassy has no way of knowing.
For the record, I didn't accuse him nor did I make any references to the fact that he travelled on the indian passport while possessing British nationality. I simply meant any other convictions.

And that is one assertion that I made in the OCI thread, that he needs to be tried for it to be convicted officially. The Indian govt do not know if he has British Nationality. But it is good to admit that he/she travelled "accidentally" without realising that OCI meant a lifelong visa.