ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

qualifying time for naturalization

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

speeed
Newly Registered

qualifying time for naturalization

Post by speeed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:10 pm

hi guys
i completed 5 years on eea2 in October 2012

the law is to be on restriction free visa (Permanent resident or ILR) for one year

my question is as my application might be in the home office for 6 moths for EEA4 and God knows what PR issue date i get.

would my qualifying time for naturalization start from October 2012 or from the date the PR was issued.
thanks ....

icexxik

Re: qualifying time for naturalization

Post by icexxik » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:20 pm

speeed wrote:hi guys

the law is to be on restriction free visa (Permanent resident or ILR) for one year

my question is as my application might be in the home office for 6 moths for EEA4 and God knows what PR issue date i get.

would my qualifying time for naturalization start from October 2012 or from the date the PR was issued.
thanks ....
You don't need to apply for PR. It is granted automatically after 5 year residence period (provided you exercised your treaty rights). You are not actually applying for PR, you are applying for a CONFIRMATION of PR ;) The qualifying period starts at exactly the point where you have exercised treaty rights for 5 years. From that point, wait exactly 1 year, and file for naturalization. No need for PR.

speeed
Newly Registered

Post by speeed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 pm

thanks for explaining it in depth,
I am almost illiterate when it comes to immigration stuff, just what i read on UKBA.

so from the inform you;'ve shared with me i understand i can apply for naturalization in October 2013.

Here is a sumup of my stay in UK
Entered UK on finance visa of an EU national October 2007 (Married 31 Oct 2007)
Completed 5 years on EEA2 Family permit October 2012

October 2012 sent application for EEA4. COA received within one week (expecting my docs back any day now)

thanks for any information u can share

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Post by nidaulhaque » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:08 pm

Yes u can apply for bc on oct 2013, issuing date or pr does not matter
speeed wrote:thanks for explaining it in depth,
I am almost illiterate when it comes to immigration stuff, just what i read on UKBA.

so from the inform you;'ve shared with me i understand i can apply for naturalization in October 2013.

Here is a sumup of my stay in UK
Entered UK on finance visa of an EU national October 2007 (Married 31 Oct 2007)
Completed 5 years on EEA2 Family permit October 2012

October 2012 sent application for EEA4. COA received within one week (expecting my docs back any day now)

thanks for any information u can share

vandv
Newly Registered

Post by vandv » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:23 pm

I have similar situation as speed, but I still have time until 2015 when I complete 5 years under EEA2 (resident card)

I researching everywhere just to know what exactly I have to do in 2015. Should I apply to EEA4?
.......Or apply for naturalization????

If anyone can help me understand this will be appreciated!!!!!

Thank you

vandv
Newly Registered

Post by vandv » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:28 pm

icexxik wrote:
speeed wrote:hi guys

thanks ....
You don't need to apply for PR. It is granted automatically after 5 year residence period (provided you exercised your treaty rights). You are not actually applying for PR, you are applying for a CONFIRMATION of PR ;) The qualifying period starts at exactly the point where you have exercised treaty rights for 5 years. From that point, wait exactly 1 year, and file for naturalization. No need for PR.

Is this means EEA2 Holders not need apply for EEA4? But why we need wait for whole year before file for naturalization? ...... and if I work i would not able to show employers my eligibility to work!!! what then???? anyone can explain this please??? thank you. :?

speeed
Newly Registered

Post by speeed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:09 pm

vandv
lol i was here to seek info myself but

here i what i can share with you,

plz note i am only sharing what i read from ukba i am not an expert.

If you are the non-European family member of an EEA or Swiss national, and you have come to the UK with them, you can apply for a residence card.
This is a document which confirms your right of residence under European law. Your residence card may take the form of an endorsement in your passport (also called a 'vignette'), or it may be a separate document called an 'immigration status document'.

A residence card is normally valid for 5 years from the date when it is issued.

When you have lived here for a continuous period of 5 years with the EEA or Swiss national (who must have been in employment, self-employment, studying or self-sufficient in the UK throughout the 5 years), you can apply for confirmation of your right to permanent residence in the UK.

Do you need to apply?

You do not need to obtain documents confirming your right of residence in the UK if you are a family member of an EEA national.

However, you may be inconvenienced if you do not obtain this confirmation, as:

you may have difficulty proving that you are lawfully resident in the UK;
if you leave the UK, you will usually need to obtain an EEA family permit before returning here, in order to guarantee readmission as the family member of a qualified EEA national;

and you may find it difficult to obtain or change employment.

so according to your information you will complete 5 years on EEA 2 in 2015
its up to you if u want to apply for EEA4 or just apply for naturalization in 2016

you do need that 1 year period as u need to be on restriction free visa for at least one year

EEA2 family permit is not a restriction free visa.

DO keep in mind the law could change anytime so if i was you i would
keep a close eye on UKBA website,

vandv
Newly Registered

Post by vandv » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Thank you Speeed, i am really like to skip this EEA4 and just go for Naturalization if this possible... because otherwise we still applying for eea4 which takes ages...
Speeed do you know when can we apply for naturalization, if for example EEA4 been granted today, may i apply in the next month for naturalization or wait again??????

Still not sure about this "restriction free visa for at least one year" will research....

Thank you Speeed for sharing info...this is helpful and will be helpful for others....
Thank you Immigrationboards.com you the best.... :D :D :D

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Post by nidaulhaque » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 pm

vandv wrote:I have similar situation as speed, but I still have time until 2015 when I complete 5 years under EEA2 (resident card)

I researching everywhere just to know what exactly I have to do in 2015. Should I apply to EEA4?

Thank you
Well it's batter to apply eea4 as its free even if they refuse u will not loose anything, eea4 average take 3-4 months, if u apply for bc they may refuse and u will loose your huge fees, plus if u get pr then u no need to prove treaty rights for past 5 years!!! Just ur pr will be enough, plus apply for eea4 is not time waste, u can still apply for bc after 6 years of residance in uk, so no harm for eea4!!!!

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:31 pm

vandv wrote:Thank you Speeed, i am really like to skip this EEA4 and just go for Naturalization if this possible... because otherwise we still applying for eea4 which takes ages...
Speeed do you know when can we apply for naturalization, if for example EEA4 been granted today, may i apply in the next month for naturalization or wait again??????

Still not sure about this "restriction free visa for at least one year" will research....

Thank you Speeed for sharing info...this is helpful and will be helpful for others....
I have just received my PR but I'm not waiting for 1 year, im going to apply for naturalization now as I have finished 6 years with my EEA spouse on January 2013.
Applied for EEA4 on 24/02/2012.
HO received on 27/02/2012.
Refusal received on 16/08/2012 dated 11/08/2012
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

vandv
Newly Registered

Post by vandv » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:43 pm

spike_UK wrote:
vandv wrote:Thank you Speeed, i am really like to skip this EEA4 and just go for Naturalization if this possible... because otherwise we still applying for eea4 which takes ages...

I have just received my PR but I'm not waiting for 1 year, im going to
apply for naturalization now as I have finished 6 years with my EEA spouse on January 2013.

Good luck spike_UK with your application! Please can you write update later on how it been for you! :)

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 pm

vandv wrote:
spike_UK wrote:

I have just received my PR but I'm not waiting for 1 year, im going to
apply for naturalization now as I have finished 6 years with my EEA spouse on January 2013.

Good luck spike_UK with your application! Please can you write update later on how it been for you! :)
Thanks vandv, I'm on holiday now but next month I will meet a lawyer and apply for it, I will post on here.
Applied for EEA4 on 24/02/2012.
HO received on 27/02/2012.
Refusal received on 16/08/2012 dated 11/08/2012
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

vandv
Newly Registered

Post by vandv » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:51 pm

nidaulhaque wrote:
vandv wrote:I have similar situation as speed, but I still have time until 2015 when I complete 5 years under EEA2 (resident card)

Thank you
Well it's batter to apply eea4 as its free even if they refuse u will not loose anything, eea4 average take 3-4 months, if u apply for bc they may refuse and u will loose your huge fees, plus if u get pr then u no need to prove treaty rights for past 5 years!!! Just ur pr will be enough, plus apply for eea4 is not time waste, u can still apply for bc after 6 years of residance in uk, so no harm for eea4!!!!
Thank you nidaulhaque!
It make sense to apply first for EEA4 which takes maybe from 4-8 months and then after receiving PR in the next couple of months I can fill in application for naturalization....is this correct? Thank you

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Post by nidaulhaque » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:07 pm

Yes it's correct, as no harm to apply eea4, what if u apply for bc direct and if they refuse then u will loose your £900!!
vandv wrote:
nidaulhaque wrote:

Thank you
Thank you nidaulhaque!
It make sense to apply first for EEA4 which takes maybe from 4-8 months and then after receiving PR in the next couple of months I can fill in application for naturalization....is this correct? Thank you

Arnonj
Newly Registered

Need advise

Post by Arnonj » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:59 pm

I am a full time student; I entered in UK since July 2008. I will complete 5 years in July this year. My EEA2 will be expired on October 2014, the reason is it has been taken time 10 months for processing from home office. Can I apply for EEA4 in July? Or I have to wait until October 2014. I am student need to show my eligibility to the college because they will ask for new visa next year. I do not want to wait until next year to apply.

Thanks

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Re: Need advise

Post by nidaulhaque » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:00 am

Arnonj wrote:I am a full time student; I entered in UK since July 2008. I will complete 5 years in July this year. My EEA2 will be expired on October 2014, the reason is it has been taken time 10 months for processing from home office. Can I apply for EEA4 in July? Or I have to wait until October 2014. I am student need to show my eligibility to the college because they will ask for new visa next year. I do not want to wait until next year to apply.

Thanks
When u say u entered in the uk July 2008 on what basics ??? Was it in eea root?? If yes then u can apply in July 2013, you need to complete 5 years with eea national in short

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:10 am

Arnonj wrote:I am a full time student; I entered in UK since July 2008. I will complete 5 years in July this year. My EEA2 will be expired on October 2014, the reason is it has been taken time 10 months for processing from home office. Can I apply for EEA4 in July? Or I have to wait until October 2014. I am student need to show my eligibility to the college because they will ask for new visa next year. I do not want to wait until next year to apply.

Thanks
It sounds like you will have achieved PR in July 2013.

Arnonj
Newly Registered

Post by Arnonj » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 am

nidaulhaque wrote:

Thanks
When u say u entered in the uk July 2008 on what basics ??? Was it in eea root?? If yes then u can apply in July 2013, you need to complete 5 years with eea national in short
My step father is French, I came to UK as Non EEA national family member.

nidaulhaque
Member of Standing

Post by nidaulhaque » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Yes u can apply for pr in July 2013
All the best

Arnonj wrote:
nidaulhaque wrote:

Thanks
My step father is French, I came to UK as Non EEA national family member.
Last edited by nidaulhaque on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arnonj
Newly Registered

Post by Arnonj » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks for all reply I really appreciate of your help.

speeed
Newly Registered

Post by speeed » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:47 am

Thank you guys
just recieved my docs back today :D
Done with EEA4

zubby007
Member of Standing

Post by zubby007 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 pm

[quote="speeed"]Thank you guys
just recieved my docs back today :D
Done with EEA4[/quote]

How long does it take, throw more light mate

renu

Post by renu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:13 am

I received my pr in march 2013,so if I understand properly,I can apply for naturalization next march 2014. Am I right?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:08 am

renu wrote:I received my pr in march 2013,so if I understand properly,I can apply for naturalization next march 2014. Am I right?
There is a dedicated section for British citizenship.

I suggest you read the FAQ there.

See Q1 & Q5 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.

According to this post, you are married to a BC. In that case, you can probably apply today as long as you passed the Life In the UK test.

renu

Post by renu » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:35 am

Jambo wrote:
renu wrote:I received my pr in march 2013,so if I understand properly,I can apply for naturalization next march 2014. Am I right?
There is a dedicated section for British citizenship.

I suggest you read the FAQ there.

See Q1 & Q5 in Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.

According to this post, you are married to a BC. In that case, you can probably apply today as long as you passed the Life In the UK test.
yes, my husband is EEA national and last year got his naturalisation. so far i have my PR valid for 10 years. thanks