ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU 1 - Has anyone got a response in the last 4 weeks?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Babsie

EU 1 - Has anyone got a response in the last 4 weeks?

Post by Babsie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Hi,
I'm sorry to be going on about this but has anyone gotten a response from the Department of Justice about their EU1 (spousal) application?
My husband has now been waiting over 7 months.
We have tried ringing them at least 100 times this morning alone and cannot get through as the line is always engaged.
He applied in August, they received everything etc, but we are still waiting.
Has anyone who applied around august time, receive a response?
I'm at my wits end.
Why do things have to be like this???

Any response would be greatly appreciated as I'm beginning to wonder if I'm walking under a black cloud.

Babs

Static

Post by Static » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi Babsie.. We applied in October and are also still waiting. I have actually been thinking of starting an EU1 support group. The waiting is driving me mad so can only imagine how you feel. Surviving on a single income and being at home when you're used to being out there earning money is enough to drive anybody to insanity. Ok.. enough whingeing.. this is just to let you know you're not the only one in your boat.

Static

Post by Static » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:31 pm

And the phone thing.. I could probably pave Dublin with the amount of Euros I have spent holding on for them to pick up the phone..

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:37 pm

Welcome to the club. :cry:

We are waiting since the end of July 2006. Almost 8 months now. Last week I got the direct number (the women at the switchboard who gave it to me must have felt sorry for me) of the person who deals with our application.

I called him on Friday and he said that he is currently working on our application, but that the department is currently doing a juridical review on the law suit, which was supposed to be done by today. According to him from then on they will continue processing the applications again.

I will give him a ring later today to check for the current status.
Last edited by dsab85 on Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:37 pm

The support group sounds like a great idea...I also applied in october and am still waiting...maybe volunteering would be a good way to pass the time meanwhile.Im reasonably sure volunteering with NGO's will not cause any immigration issues.check out www.volunteer.ie and http://www.volunteer.ie/volunteeropportunities.htm
for volunteering opportunities.

Babsie

Post by Babsie » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:59 pm

dsab85 how, how how how, did you manage to get through to them???
We must have rang about 100 times on one day and we can never get through to anyone.
I have memorised the message on the lines by now!!!
I wish we could find out who is looking after our case.
It's really unfortunate. I'm the EU person in this case and to you all non-EU I am so sorry you have to go through this :(
B

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:07 pm

I probably was just lucky. I have a powerdial feature at work, which might have helped. :lol:

But with time I figured out that the best chances to get through to them were between 11.45 and 12.30 or just after lunch at 2pm. That's when I usually managed to get through to them.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:50 pm

We just called immigration. No good news. :cry:

They told us now that the pending law suit still has not been decided on. According to them now the Ombudsman is involved in the situation, and we will def. get a decission by the end of April (latest), which would then be nine months.

You really couldn't make this stuff up, even if you tried hard. Really not sure what is happening. My wife and I just decided to get an immigration lawyer and to put pressure on them that way.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:12 pm

I think you should sue the government for loss of earnings due to the fact that it is now taking longer than the legal maximum of 6 months to process.

Babsie

Post by Babsie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:09 am

dsab85 I cannot believe this!
Is there anything anyone can do at this stage though?
You applied even before my husband did which means his application is going to be even later than his. Meaning his work permit will run out!
i am really unhappy with all of this and to be honest if I was not in the process of moving into a house we just bought, I would pack bags & move elsewhere.
Good thing we have this forum to check things out, otherwise I wouldn't even be aware of this court case!
Do you think the immigration lawyer will be able to help in this case?

Birdy

Replies from Dept of Justice

Post by Birdy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:32 am

Hi Babs,

Me and my wife have been waiting for only five months and when i happened upon the forums i decided to take action straight away we have been married since August 28th and we sent the EU1 shortly after, the DOJ however clim to have received it at the end of October much to my annoyance but you cant do much about that. We got in touch with our local TD and he sent a letter to the DOJ who duly sent a response this is over two weeks ago.

We have had no success in getting through to them or getting replies to letters from them. were not alone.

Birdy

lu_rvs
Newly Registered

Post by lu_rvs » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi,

My husband has just applied for the EU1 form last week. Although we received our confirmation and passports back in a week, we're sure it will take months to process. According to employment permit section the non-EEA member can apply for a 1 year working permit while the EU1 application is being processed. They recognise the problems with immigration and are fast-tracking the working permits for this very reason. You have to send them copies of passports and marriage certificate etc. If you send a letter in stating that you have pending EU1 application they will waive the permit fees. A form is available on their website http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/.

I hope that info helps.

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi Lu,

Is it a work pemit specifically for one job ie being sponsored by one company or a permit for any work?

Birdy

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:35 pm

I just called them.

You will need to find a job first, and then they will fasttrack your application while your EU1 application is pending.

As said they need Marriage Cert, Copy of Passport and the application.

lu_rvs
Newly Registered

Post by lu_rvs » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:36 pm

Birdy, well the original email I received was a little bit confussing on that point. The form forwarded to me appears to be one that an employer can fill out for the applicant, but the original e-mail also stated the following:

"To apply for a work permit for the spouse of EU national follow the guidelines below:

Complete new application form and requirements as set out in Part 6 of form (if applicable)

Cover letter indicating that this application is for a non-EEA national married to EU national.

The ineligible job category does not apply

Copy of the EU spouse's passport pages showing photograph and personal details.

Copy of the marriage certificate/marriage licence

The application will be fast tracked.

No Fee required

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:37 pm

That is a little ray of hope. Thanks Guys

lu_rvs
Newly Registered

Post by lu_rvs » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:44 pm

That's ok Birdy.

Hey, I've got a question if anyone can help. I just received my documentation back from the DOJ and they require 'evidence of legal residence in another member of state'. My situation is that I'm an Australian with a spanish passport. My parents (who are both spanish) immigrated to Australia years ago and so I haven't lived in Spain (even though alot of my family do live there). I don't think I can provide any evidence of legally residing there. Is that a neccessary requirement for the EU1 application?

Platinum

Post by Platinum » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:49 pm

lu_rvs, where did you hear about the fast tracking of work permits for people with an EU1 application pending? I can't find anything about it on the DETE site you linked to. It would be great to at least be able to look for a job and tell employers that I can get a work permit quickly. (Instead of saying, "Well, I've got this EU1 pending...it may take six months...okay more than six months, but I don't know when exactly...")

Do you know the department I could ring or e-mail for more information?

Thanks.

Birdy

Post by Birdy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:51 pm

An address would be great i have emailed info@entemp.ie and am awaiting reply (no surprises)

lu_rvs
Newly Registered

Post by lu_rvs » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Platinum, I sent an e-mail query to the employment permit section in January and they sent me an e-mail back just a few days ago with that information. My husband hasn't sent the form in as yet so we can't tell you how exactly how long it takes but it is better than sitting around for the EU form to be finalised.

lu_rvs
Newly Registered

Post by lu_rvs » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:01 pm

These are the details on the reply e-mail;
Employment Permit Section
Davitt House
65a Adelaide Road
Dublin 2
Phone:01 4175333
Fax: 01 631 3268
LoCall: 1890 201 616
http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits/

I'd suggest calling them. bsab85's comment above suggests that he got through on the phone ok.

They have this statement on their website at the moment..
"Please note: Due to the substantial increase in the number of calls / emails, some of our customers are experiencing difficulties in getting through to us. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and are endeavouring to answer as many calls / emails as possible.

Current Processing Time: Today we are processing applications received on the [b]22nd January 2007[/b]. Applications are dealt with strictly in date of receipt order and cannot be expedited under any circumstances.

Erik84

Post by Erik84 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:11 pm

I thought it was enough to have a PPS number to work. Are you people saying that a non-EU citizen waiting for reply on EU1 needs to get a work permit as well?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:17 pm

Great to hear that we can apply for a work permit while waiting for the E.U1 form to be processed. One question though, does one have to return to the home country to have the work permit issued by the Irish embassy as previously required? I hope that we dont have to leave the country to have the work permit issued on the passport.

Mikael
Newly Registered

Lawyers details

Post by Mikael » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:56 pm

Dear Everybody,
I am one of those people who finally got the stamp 4 after 8 months of waiting for the EU1 form.
I got to do this thanks to my lawyer who helped me with all this.
If you want to go ahead and contact this person i will kindly reveal his details in a private message if you want.
All the best! You are not alone, you have rights, fight for them!
Mikael

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:33 am

Hey Mikael,

congratulations. At what point did you involve the lawyer, and how many corresondences did it take to get the permit?

We are now waiting 8 months as well, and finally got a lawyer involved yesterday.

Cheers,
DSAB