ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Loan for Family member of EEA

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dasjoker

Student Loan for Family member of EEA

Post by dasjoker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:16 am

Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone got any experience to applying to student loan as family member of EEA.

I just got refused based on saying
"You have not been granted refugee status in the UK."

i think they didn't see on passport my resident card. Does anyone got similar problem or approved student loan experience? Or any comment?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:45 am

See who is eligible for student support

speak to your university's student advice service about whether you qualify and what evidence you need to provide. You possibly made your application on the wrong form/to the wrong department.

See also EU students - what type of financial support could you qualify for
Last edited by Greenie on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

John

Post by John » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:56 am

dasjoker, when does/did your course start? This autumn? Autumn 2012?
John

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:01 am

I believe he started this September it's not possible to apply for student finance for 2012/13 yet in any case.

dasjoker

Post by dasjoker » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:23 am

John wrote:dasjoker, when does/did your course start? This autumn? Autumn 2012?
as Greenie mention i applied for 11/12 it started this september.

I am pretty sure I applied right application form. Only problem was while i was applying student loan my passport was at home office so as soon as i received my passport i sent to home office but there is around 6-7 different visa only thing i can guess they might miss my visa but i send my marriage certificate.

John

Post by John » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:59 pm

Greenie has supplied you with a couple of helpful links. Have you had a read through those?
John

dasjoker

Post by dasjoker » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:00 pm

John wrote:Greenie has supplied you with a couple of helpful links. Have you had a read through those?
Yes, John i read all but currently my wife doesn't work and i am working around 25 hour and full-time student but it doesn't say anything about my wife status if she have to work or not, she just graduated.

do you have any experience with student loan as a family member?

John

Post by John » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:03 pm

i read all but currently my wife doesn't work and i am working around 25 hour and full-time student but it doesn't say anything about my wife status if she have to work or not, she just graduated.
An underlying problem? She does need to be exercising Treaty Rights in the UK, otherwise you have no right to exercise Treaty Rights.

So does she claim to be exercising Treaty Rights as a self-sufficient person. Does she have sickness insurance?
John

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:15 pm

dasjoker wrote:

I am pretty sure I applied right application form.
what form did you complete?

pinkpanter

Post by pinkpanter » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:30 am

When i applied for student loan from Barclay and Co-operative bank in 2010, they refused my application on the ground that I dont have indefinate leave to remain on my passport. I sent them a letter and phone calls that as a member of an EEA member (and RC status), I should have same rights as EEA national. But, they refused to accept any of my explanation.

These Banks are just follwing the rules and requirement given by their authority. They don't know the EEA law etc.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:38 pm

pinkpanter wrote:When i applied for student loan from Barclay and Co-operative bank in 2010, they refused my application on the ground that I dont have indefinate leave to remain on my passport. I sent them a letter and phone calls that as a member of an EEA member (and RC status), I should have same rights as EEA national. But, they refused to accept any of my explanation.

These Banks are just follwing the rules and requirement given by their authority. They don't know the EEA law etc.
the OP applied to the SFE, not a bank.

dasjoker

Post by dasjoker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:31 am

Greenie wrote:
pinkpanter wrote:When i applied for student loan from Barclay and Co-operative bank in 2010, they refused my application on the ground that I dont have indefinate leave to remain on my passport. I sent them a letter and phone calls that as a member of an EEA member (and RC status), I should have same rights as EEA national. But, they refused to accept any of my explanation.

hi guys,

today i talked with an adviser from Student Loan company and they told me i am not able to get student loan because my visa issued on 14th september it should be issued before academic year start which was 1st of september. And called again they told me my visa should issued before first day of my university started :evil: and now i am writing my complain to student loan company with my all call record. nobody know exactly what is going on :(

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 am

dasjoker wrote:
Greenie wrote:

hi guys,

today i talked with an adviser from Student Loan company and they told me i am not able to get student loan because my visa issued on 14th september it should be issued before academic year start which was 1st of september. And called again they told me my visa should issued before first day of my university started :evil: and now i am writing my complain to student loan company with my all call record. nobody know exactly what is going on :(
Did you speak to the SLC or SFE?

As already advised you need to speak to your university's advice service so they can advocate on your behalf. The SFE have misunderstood the fact that your residence card is not a visa, and you right to live in the UK doesn't 'start' from when it was issued - it is confirmation of your right to live in the UK with your wife whilst she is evercising her treaty rights and therefore as long as you were the family member of an EU national exercising treaty rights on 1 September, you should qualify for a fee loan providing you meet the other requirements in the relevent category.

No_marriage_certificate
Newly Registered

Post by No_marriage_certificate » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:17 am

Greenie wrote:
dasjoker wrote:
Greenie wrote:

hi guys,

Did you speak to the SLC or SFE?

As already advised you need to speak to your university's advice service so they can advocate on your behalf. The SFE have misunderstood the fact that your residence card is not a visa, and you right to live in the UK doesn't 'start' from when it was issued - it is confirmation of your right to live in the UK with your wife whilst she is evercising her treaty rights and therefore as long as you were the family member of an EU national exercising treaty rights on 1 September, you should qualify for a fee loan providing you meet the other requirements in the relevent category.
Greenie is 100% correct and Right! challenge their decision.......e.g. marriage certificate should confirm that you were an EEA family member before 1st Sept, 2011.

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Guys,
I am holding RC as a family member of an EU national. I have applied in University in a course starting in September 2013. Before I was in UK on student visa then went into Appeal and then marriage application. Finally granted RC last year. University consider me as a Home student fee payer under the Special provision of UKCISA website. Which stated as "You do not have to meet 3 years residence requirement if your course starting on or after September 2011 and your EU spouse is self sufficient in UK. I rang Student Finance England yesterday to ask for Student loan. But they told me that I am not eligible to have student loan because I don't have a permanent residence or Indefinite leave to remain in UK. Furthermore he said that there are different policies to be consider as home fees payer and to get Student loan. Anyone has any advice or experience ? Please kindly share with me. I will appreciate that.

regards.

vandv
Newly Registered

Post by vandv » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:53 pm

horizon1985 wrote:Hi Guys,
I am holding RC as a family member of an EU national. I have applied in University in a course starting in September 2013. Before I was in UK on student visa then went into Appeal and then marriage application. Finally granted RC last year. University consider me as a Home student fee payer under the Special provision of UKCISA website. Which stated as "You do not have to meet 3 years residence requirement if your course starting on or after September 2011 and your EU spouse is self sufficient in UK. I rang Student Finance England yesterday to ask for Student loan. But they told me that I am not eligible to have student loan because I don't have a permanent residence or Indefinite leave to remain in UK. Furthermore he said that there are different policies to be consider as home fees payer and to get Student loan. Anyone has any advice or experience ? Please kindly share with me. I will appreciate that.

regards.
As far as I know if you are EEA family member that you should apply to Student Finance England by using hard copy application and enclose original or certified by solicitor copy of your passport+ RC+ your EEA national passport + marriage certificate...they have special team who dealing with EEA Family members application... (I Know from my personal experience)....that all what you need..... EU CUSTOMER SERVICES TEAM phone:0141 243 3570

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:25 am

vandv wrote:
horizon1985 wrote:Hi Guys,

regards.
As far as I know if you are EEA family member that you should apply to Student Finance England by using hard copy application and enclose original or certified by solicitor copy of your passport+ RC+ your EEA national passport + marriage certificate...they have special team who dealing with EEA Family members application... (I Know from my personal experience)....that all what you need..... EU CUSTOMER SERVICES TEAM phone:0141 243 3570
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Please can you tell me that did you see anyone who got loan by providing these documents ? I will ring them tomorrow.But if you have any personal experience then please let me know. thanks

vandv
Newly Registered

Post by vandv » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Please can you tell me that did you see anyone who got loan by providing these documents ? I will ring them tomorrow.But if you have any personal experience then please let me know. thanks
Yes my own experience...I am full time undergraduate student...just explain that you are family member of EEA and you have have residency card.just ask them send to you application....I think you also have to be 3 years here....not sure about that...but they not asking for any proof of you address so.....Ask them they very helpful people....Good luck

Deeone

Post by Deeone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:50 pm

I have had similar experience and I was told since I came in to UK with other Visa despite the fact that I am Non-EEA family member I cannot get any support (even though I had apply since 2006 for this RC) and I had to pay for my tuition personally through out the course of my Study.

Also I have a sister going through Similar situation as yours at the moment they seems not to want to believe Non-EEA family members has the same right as EEA national students.

People just make decision without looking into your case properly at the SFE and co, they seem to believe the power is in thier hand since its their colleagues that will handle the appeals.

But I pray you have a possitive outcome no matter what myself or others may have passed through during our cause of studies.