ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Ilr is due and mistakenly claimed child benefit

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

samrobert
Newly Registered

Ilr is due and mistakenly claimed child benefit

Post by samrobert » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:20 am

Hi Gurus,

Please please help me I have claimed child benefit and my ilr is due..I stopped the child benefit however, i have not heard from them..i am calling them but they are not telling anything they say 'u will hear from head office' i don't have time to wait..please guide me what shall i do....please somebody help...

syed_ILR

Re: Ilr is due and mistakenly claimed child benefit

Post by syed_ILR » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:59 am

samrobert wrote:Hi Gurus,

Please please help me I have claimed child benefit and my ilr is due..I stopped the child benefit however, i have not heard from them..i am calling them but they are not telling anything they say 'u will hear from head office' i don't have time to wait..please guide me what shall i do....please somebody help...

how can u do that mistake..does it not say on ur visa..no access to public funds :D

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:08 am

I really dint know that there something like this on my visa its only came to my notice when a freind of mine pointed it out to me..Please can u advise me what to do now..thanks

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 am

Call DWP, tell them all and pay it back asap, pay it back before you apply for your ILR.
If UKBA ask later then just tell them the same story that you claimed by mistake and paid it back as soon as you realised that you shouldn't be claiming.
Goodluck.

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks for ur reply but when i call HMRC they say a case worker will write to u or call u..they cannot do anything in this regards..I have so less time left i dont understand that shall i wait for them to reply or what to do...Please help..i am stuck

fomsand1

Post by fomsand1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:52 pm

When is your ILR due?

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 pm

samrobert wrote:Thanks for ur reply but when i call HMRC they say a case worker will write to u or call u..they cannot do anything in this regards..I have so less time left i dont understand that shall i wait for them to reply or what to do...Please help..i am stuck
Have you tried going to Job centre? I thought they dealt with benefits too.
Goodluck.

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:03 pm

samrobert wrote:Hi Gurus,

You should go to the nearest Job Center plus and ask the method of settlement . You should do this soon. When Universal Credit kicks in ( In Oct,I think), Benefits and Tax will be integrated. I do not know how you are going to convince UKBA, that you claimed Child Benefit with out knowing. It is explicitly mentioned on your Visa .

John

Post by John » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:56 pm

samrobert, your nationality? Also, before coming to the UK, did you work in any other country apart from that of your nationality? If yes, details please.

Child Benefit is administered by HMRC, not DWP. More details on the www.hmrc.gov.uk website.
John

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:05 pm

John wrote:samrobert, your nationality? Also, before coming to the UK, did you work in any other country apart from that of your nationality? If yes, details please.

Child Benefit is administered by HMRC, not DWP. More details on the www.hmrc.gov.uk website.
Thank You John for giving me the correct Information.

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:26 am

John wrote:samrobert, your nationality? Also, before coming to the UK, did you work in any other country apart from that of your nationality? If yes, details please.

Hi John,

i am an Indian..never worked in any other country apart from india. Its one day more and i have not heard from hmrc..i dont know what to do..one more thing john..shall i disclose that my wife has claimed child benefit but now she has stopped to the case worker when I go for my ILR..
I need ur guidance Gurus....

shweta.duggal

Post by shweta.duggal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Samrobert,

I did same mistake but within few weeks we came to know this and managed to pay back the whole amount before my ILR application was due in sep 2011.

What i did was called HMRC child benefit line and immediately stopped the payments and then they sent me letter saying the amount I need to pay back and the account details.
I understand you don't have plenty of time - best bet is ring child benefit dept and ask them to put your request forward that's what you can do max or you can ask them any other route OR go to job centre for a quick suggestion.

We did not mention it in ILR application as we paid the money back in time.

Hope this helps

Good luck!!

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:45 am

Hi Shweta,

Thanks for replying..Can u plz tell me the timeline as in after how many days did they sent u the letter..and also the account details in which they asked you to transfer money..also one thing did u claim the child benefit in the main applicants name or dependants name..

ur response will be highly appreciated..plz plz reply..

shweta.duggal

Post by shweta.duggal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:54 am

I claimed child benefit for my child and I applied ILR as dependent. bank details I don't remember on top of my head and also your tax reference will be different so your details will be associated with some different account.
it was not definitely quick I remember say i claimed child benefit from sep'10 and stopped in nov'10 and got the response back by jan or feb'11 probably. i am sure it was not quick.

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks Shweta For your reply..please let me know if online transfer was one of the means to pay them back..

shweta.duggal

Post by shweta.duggal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 am

I'm not sure but i paid in some bank account that I remember.

by the way when you ILR is due and have you stopped the payments already?

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Shweta,

My ILR is due in 2 weeks i have stopped the payment but did not hear anything from them regarding repayment..i called child benefit department again and again but they always say a case worker will get back to me..I dont know what to do..please advise me..

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:57 pm

samrobert wrote:Hi Shweta,

My ILR is due in 2 weeks i have stopped the payment but did not hear anything from them regarding repayment..i called child benefit department again and again but they always say a case worker will get back to me..I dont know what to do..please advise me..
They will not respond immediately. I think it's better to write to them as well. Then you have some proof that you have made an effort to contact them. Do it immediately and send it off by recorded delivery,and have the receipt and copy of the letter with you. Are you doing a postal application for your ILR??

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion and advice, will definelty take care of this and will do the needful at earliest.
I am applying in Person. Does it make any difference in my case if I apply through post or through premium service.

Many thanks for your help and support.

Kevin24 wrote:

They will not respond immediately. I think it's better to write to them as well. Then you have some proof that you have made an effort to contact them. Do it immediately and send it off by recorded delivery,and have the receipt and copy of the letter with you. Are you doing a postal application for your ILR??

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 pm

samrobert wrote:Hi Kevin,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion and advice, will definelty take care of this and will do the needful at earliest.
I am applying in Person. Does it make any difference in my case if I apply through post or through premium service.

Kevin24 wrote:

This is My Opinion, if you apply by Post you gain time. By that time HMRC would have contacted you and you would have settled the claimed amount. If UKBA comes back to you ,have written evidence to prove that. You decide what you want to do according to your circumstances.

samrobert
Newly Registered

Post by samrobert » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks a lot kevin for your advice, I will wait for few more days to hear back from HMRC if they don't respond I will go with the best option. Meanwhile I am sending a letter to HMRC for my justification and a kind of NOC letter from HMRC.

Kevin24 wrote:
samrobert wrote:Hi Kevin,

Kevin24 wrote:

This is My Opinion, if you apply by Post you gain time. By that time HMRC would have contacted you and you would have settled the claimed amount. If UKBA comes back to you ,have written evidence to prove that. You decide what you want to do according to your circumstances.

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:53 pm

They are changing their Computer System and are on Strike on Monday. Hence the delay in responding. Hope HMRC will do so very soon.