ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! Have we made a horrible mistake?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kevarms
Newly Registered

Help! Have we made a horrible mistake?

Post by kevarms » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:14 pm

I'm British living in Ireland and my Japanese wife is arriving on Friday. We married in July and, due to work and personal commitments, she could only come here now.
Reading some of the posts regarding the EU-1 I have a horrible feeling we have misunderstood how it works. We have to have lived together in another EU state for her to be allowed to live in Ireland??????!!!!!!
I checked here a couple of months ago and I didn't get that impression. Further, before we got married I asked the DoJ who said after the marriage she can come here and apply to the EU Treaty Section at Burgh Quay. And when she contacted the Irish embassy in Tokyo about being admitted with a one-way ticket they just said as long as she has our marriage certificate, a copy of my passport and a letter from employer it would be fine.
My wife has given up her job and has a one-way ticket. Are they going to put her on the next plane home when she arrives? :(

brownbonno
Netherlands

Re: Help! Have we made a horrible mistake?

Post by brownbonno » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:30 pm

kevarms wrote:I'm British living in Ireland and my Japanese wife is arriving on Friday. We married in July and, due to work and personal commitments, she could only come here now.
Reading some of the posts regarding the EU-1 I have a horrible feeling we have misunderstood how it works. We have to have lived together in another EU state for her to be allowed to live in Ireland??????!!!!!!
I checked here a couple of months ago and I didn't get that impression. Further, before we got married I asked the DoJ who said after the marriage she can come here and apply to the EU Treaty Section at Burgh Quay. And when she contacted the Irish embassy in Tokyo about being admitted with a one-way ticket they just said as long as she has our marriage certificate, a copy of my passport and a letter from employer it would be fine.
My wife has given up her job and has a one-way ticket. Are they going to put her on the next plane home when she arrives? :(
You don't need to have lived in another EU country to be allowed into Ireland.
You wife should be fine coming to Ireland,provided she have the following documents,
1.A valid passport(Japanese are visa free to Ireland)
2.Marriage certificate(should be translated to English)
3.Your contact information in Ireland.(coming to join you)

A letter from emplyer is not required in this case.One way ticket is not an issue,the choice is entirely on you/your wife.
Knowledge is Power

jack_in_the box

Post by jack_in_the box » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:33 pm

I agree - she shouldn't have any problems getting into Ireland.
The Laws have been changing so much lately that I don't think they really know hat the situation is. I think so long as she can prove she is married to you & can provide proof of you being resident in Ireland, she will be okay.
Maybe try get a letter from your employer stating that you are employed with them, & then also a copy of a utility bill, showing proof of address. And then maybe get her a copy of your passport as well.

The situation with applying for the EU1 Spousal visa is a whole new story. Due to a court case going on they aren't processing any applications at the moment. However, I'd still suggest that you get the application sent in by registered letter as soon as she gets to Ireland.

Oh yes, And make sure the marraige certificate is translated into English & you should have a few registered/certified copies made.

kevarms
Newly Registered

Post by kevarms » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:00 pm

Thanks very much. I can't tell you how relieved I am. She already has an English translation of our wedding cert, copy of my passport and letter from employer. So hopefully should be ok.
Now, just so I've got things straight and I can stop my head from frazzling anymore....

1. when she clears immigration she will just be on a tourist visa.
2. We go to the local garda station (we are in County Louth) and register with the GNIB. We pay a fee of 100 euro for a registration card.
3. We mail the EU-1 form, which I assume the GNIB can provide us with.
4. Then it's just a matter of waiting waiting waiting unti she has leave to remain.

Just another query. When can she get a PPS number? Even though she doesn't plan to work I think she needs it so I can change my tax status to married.

dsab85

Post by dsab85 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:47 pm

1. If you don't want to apply for s apouse visa, then she will just be here on a tourist visa

2. You don't have to register, and you won't get a GNIB Card. You only get the card after the EU1 application has been approved.

3. You can download the EU1 form from the justice.ie website afaik

4. No, you cannot apply for a PPS number on a tourist visa. Some people here managed to get one via a spouse visa, but even the spouse visa isn't a guarantee to get a PPS number. If she comes on a tourist visa, then she won't get one. But you still can adjust your tax. I just sent a letter to revenue explaining the situation, with passport copies, copy of marriage certificate and EI1 reference number. They sent me an adjusted tax cert within a few days.

Static

Post by Static » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:39 pm

kevarms.. you should have a look at dsab85's latest posts.. your situation (as mine) might not be that great :(

kevarms
Newly Registered

Post by kevarms » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:05 am

Seems I was worried about nothing regarding the one-way ticket. Now I've got the previous residence in an EU state thing to be stressed about! :cry:

dsab85: you were dead on. I just phoned up the tax office, explained the situation and got a huge rebate 2 weeks later. Some good news at least. They didn't even ask for any evidence.

microlab

Post by microlab » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:05 am

I'm British living in Ireland and my Japanese wife is arriving on Friday. We married in July and, due to work and personal commitments, she could only come here now.
Thats what I`ve done 2 years ago,well before EU1 forms(debacle).My wife was granted 1 year residence.Following year she was granted 1 year extension.Next time I am expecting 5 year residence.We have lived outside EU prior to comming here.
Guys on the other forums (18 months ago)told me this was the case and the Irish always done it this way,kind of probation period of couple of years,similar to Irish/UK spose visa.
My story is not much help to you :(
The only thing I kind of suggest is not to use EU1 forms.There is no obligation that you use them.Just write the formal letter asking for visa/residence for your wife.