ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and Citizenship Tougher language requirements

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Peeru11
Newly Registered

ILR and Citizenship Tougher language requirements

Post by Peeru11 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Home Office to introduce new English language test to stay in UK

Individuals seeking British naturalisation or settlement will be required to hold English language qualifications as well as passing the Life in the UK test (LITUK), Immigration Minister Mark Harper announced today (8 April 2013).
English language

From 28 October, applicants must prove they possess an appropriate level of conversational English (B1 intermediate) as well as passing the LITUK test in order to satisfy the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement.

Immigration Minister Mark Harper said:

British citizenship is a privilege, not a right. The government expects that those wishing to become citizens should demonstrate their commitment by learning the English language, as well as having an understanding of British history, culture and traditions.

We are toughening up language requirements for naturalisation and settlement to ensure that migrants are ready and able to integrate into British society. This forms part of our changes which have broken the automatic link between temporary and permanent migration.

Citizenship

This change will strengthen the citizenship process, replacing the current system which requires applicants to sit either the LITUK test or show language progression through English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) levels. Under the current rules, depending on your level of English you could choose to attend combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes.

A range of English language qualifications will be accepted as evidence that an applicant has met the B1 level speaking and listening requirements.
Immigration rules

Candidates from majority English speaking countries, as laid out in the Immigration rules, will not be expected to complete the language requirement, but will be expected to pass the LITUK test.

The new requirements will apply to those individuals applying on or after 28 October 2013 and all adults, unless covered by a specific exemption, will be expected to meet the requirement, whether they are the main applicant or dependent.

Those under the age of 18 or over the age of 65 will be exempt from the language requirements and in line with current practice, those with physical or mental conditions which severely restrict their ability to learn English will continue to be excused.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/toug ... itizenship

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

Anyone please explain :(.... feel like we trapped and we have to follow whatever they want. I never imagined things like that....

I have got my ILR on 13th March 2013, thought its over now...but I never knew this Gov is so good to make you surprise when specially you least expected. "Welcome to hell", These words I heard from cousin of mine who received me when I first landed in UK back in 2008. Thought It was a joke....

Any opinion guys....

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:13 pm

:-( thanks for sharing. this is unfair for ppl who have ILR and LIUK test thinking no more tests and requirements for naturalisation.surely there must be a grace period for such applicants. btw how much does such flipn ESOL qualifications cost. I m sure it's prices will increase after this announcement.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Briefly scanned through the first link. I recall that this requirement was put forth earlier last year. Note the following statement mentioned in the document - it may apply to you:

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:

• Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).
• Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.

As this is only mentioned under the section for "KoL & Life requirement for Settlement", I'm not entirely sure whether it would apply to someone who had obtained ILR before October 2013, but then went onto apply for Naturalisation after October 2013. Logically I see no reason why it wouldn't. The document should have included that statement in a manner where it applied to both sections: I.e. Settlement and Naturalisation.

AUHS
Member of Standing

Post by AUHS » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi

Thanks for sharing.

Could any body please clarify...

According to my understanding ' Dependants will need LIUK test plus ESOL B1.

Am I right or wrong?

Thanks

Peeru11
Newly Registered

Post by Peeru11 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:48 am

cs95tdg wrote:Briefly scanned through the first link. I recall that this requirement was put forth earlier last year. Note the following statement mentioned in the document - it may apply to you:

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:

• Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.

As this is only mentioned under the section for "KoL & Life requirement for Settlement", I'm not entirely sure whether it would apply to someone who had obtained ILR before October 2013, but then went onto apply for Naturalisation after October 2013. Logically I see no reason why it wouldn't. The document should have included that statement in a manner where it applied to both sections: I.e. Settlement and Naturalisation.

Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.

UK NARIC's English Language Assessment provides an assessment and a statement:

To confirm whether an individual's approved English language test meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1)

To confirm whether your degree has been taught in English and meets the required level of English language proficiency (CEFR level C1).

I have previously obtained letter from UK NARIC, Statement of Comparability which is an officially recognised document that confirms the recognition of an overseas qualification and its comparable level in the UK. Further I have provided a Letter to Home office in 2008 from my University confirming that all education taught in English.

But now I think I need to get another certificate/letter for my English Language Assessment as above mentioned equivalent to CEFR level C1, The cost of the service is £46.00 + VAT (£55.20) per application.

But again if your spouse is not a degree holder, he/she needs to qualify for B1 level before going for ILR or Naturalisation.

Any opinion?

http://www.ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individua ... fault.aspx

MonkeyBusiness

Post by MonkeyBusiness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 am

everyone is required to fulfil the new requirements

There is no ending ...

Who will need to meet the requirement?

Citizenship is a privilege and not a right. The Government expects that all those wishing to become British citizens should demonstrate their commitment by learning English and have an understanding of British history, culture and traditions. Therefore all those applying for naturalisation after 28 October 2013 will be expected to satisfy the new KoLL requirement. The only exceptions will be those who are aged 65 or over or whose physical or mental condition severely inhibits the ability to communicate or take the Life in the UK test. (Minors are ineligible for naturalisation, therefore an exemption for under 18s is not relevant.)
A migrant who fulfils the Life in the UK requirement for settlement as it applies on or after 28 October 2013 will not be required to retake any elements in a later application for naturalisation but will be deemed automatically to satisfy KoLL at that later stage.
The situation is different for those who applied or apply for settlement before 28 October 2013. They will have satisfied the KoLL requirement by either passing the Life in the UK test or by taking an ESOL qualification (probably at a level below B1) and this by itself will not be sufficient should they later apply for naturalisation. They will need to satisfy the new KoLL requirement but if they have already passed the Life in the UK test will not need to retake it. For some people this will mean passing a relevant speaking and listening qualification for the first time. Others will need to pass a speaking and listening qualification at a higher level than they had to demonstrate to be granted leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK.

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:24 am

Here's a question.

I (for some reason) sat in IELTS test when applied for HSMP in 2008. Would that count now or has it expired? :/

My wife on other end have sat in IELTS back in 2003. Would that count?

I have to say, it's not about your English language skills. It's about how you're helping this pathetic economy by 'buying' these stupid mule qualifications.

I mean FFS! How can they ask those who lived in the UK as highly skilled migrant for 5 frickin years to sit in a pathetic little test to show they can speak and understand English.
Goodluck.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 am

As some one said, it is truly welcome to Hell.

What is the logic to ask a highly skilled immigrant who lived almost 6 years in UK to prove that they have enough English knowledge?

How many British Citizens born can pass this test?

This is nothing but giving more hurdles and troubles to people who are legal immigrants.

I don't how many more surprises we will see in future

tanvirni

Post by tanvirni » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:07 am

Q: How many British Citizens born can pass this test?
A: Please see the link.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... nship-test

Ramana66 wrote:As some one said, it is truly welcome to Hell.

What is the logic to ask a highly skilled immigrant who lived almost 6 years in UK to prove that they have enough English knowledge?

How many British Citizens born can pass this test?

This is nothing but giving more hurdles and troubles to people who are legal immigrants.

I don't how many more surprises we will see in future

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 am

Though we don't know much about exact rules, what happens in following scenario.

A dependent who is 17 years old on September 2013 and obtains his ILR without the LIUK certificate (as it is not required for people under 18). However, when he applies for Naturalisation in 2014, he will be over 18 years. So he needs to write LIUK and as well show the English language qualifications at B1 Level?

Does above understanding is correct?

ldbright

Post by ldbright » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:38 am

Thank you for posting, my questions is: If I obtained a degree (undergraduate and master ) tough in English in the UK, am I still required to pass the English test according to the new rule?

Thanks!

MonkeyBusiness

Post by MonkeyBusiness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:44 am

the relevant extract from the statement

The situation is different for those who applied or apply for settlement before 28 October 2013. They will have satisfied the KoLL requirement by either passing the Life in the UK test or by taking an ESOL qualification (probably at a level below B1) and this by itself will not be sufficient should they later apply for naturalisation. They will need to satisfy the new KoLL requirement but if they have already passed the Life in the UK test will not need to retake it. For some people this will mean passing a relevant speaking and listening qualification for the first time. Others will need to pass a speaking and listening qualification at a higher level than they had to demonstrate to be granted leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK.

syed_ILR

Post by syed_ILR » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:45 am

I swear man!! u guys cry like girls!!! common its just a test..and if it compulsory..just give it...whats the point moaning. Its not going to change anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not IIT/IIMs loool!!!

chill..you guys are highly skilled immigrants and I am sure everyone of you can pass this stupid test!

syed_ILR

Post by syed_ILR » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 am

ldbright wrote:Thank you for posting, my questions is: If I obtained a degree (undergraduate and master ) tough in English in the UK, am I still required to pass the English test according to the new rule?

Thanks!

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the
KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:

Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).

Both of these groups will, however, be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate
their knowledge of life in the UK.

ldbright

Post by ldbright » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 am

Thank you for the clarification!
syed_ILR wrote:
ldbright wrote:Thank you for posting, my questions is: If I obtained a degree (undergraduate and master ) tough in English in the UK, am I still required to pass the English test according to the new rule?

Thanks!

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the
KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:

Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).

Both of these groups will, however, be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate
their knowledge of life in the UK.

Peeru11
Newly Registered

Post by Peeru11 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:47 am

syed_ILR wrote:I swear man!! u guys cry like girls!!! common its just a test..and if it compulsory..just give it...whats the point moaning. Its not going to change anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chill..you guys are highly skilled immigrants and I am sure everyone of you can pass this stupid test!
So relaxing, Thanks.

We discuss here for the new changes and updates, if its compulsory or not and who is come under these new changes. Yes we frustrated some times seeing all these new changes but obviously not giving up. You never know that after this second English language requirement what next surprise comes out. I believe its better to share rather then to keep up ourselves. I hope you understand my point.

xyz111
BANNED

Post by xyz111 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:09 am

Peeru11 wrote:
syed_ILR wrote: chill..you guys are highly skilled immigrants and I am sure everyone of you can pass this stupid test!
My depedant is a house wife and she might struggle ....who wants to classes n courses while putting family commitments behind...already shown the competency by passing LIUK test...!! Need extra money ...Just ask for it!!

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:16 am

syed_ILR wrote:I swear man!! u guys cry like girls!!! common its just a test..and if it compulsory..just give it...whats the point moaning. Its not going to change anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're paying our fees then?
Use some common sense before posting. Every fortnightly changes with stupid effing excuses just to draw money from people is the reason why everyone's pissed.

To answer your comment regarding high skilled immigrants ability to pass the text, EXACTLY WHY WE ARE SAYING THAT WE DON'T FKING NEED ANOTHER STUPID mule ENGLISH TEST TO PROVE THAT WE CAN SPEAK ENGLISH
Last edited by [iD] on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goodluck.

jannahia
Newly Registered

Are these British policy makers are Stupid?

Post by jannahia » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:29 am

Some time i am shocked how they facing bull said that they made policies for people to enter in their society perfect for them. when ever these bloodies made rule have no sense they judging educated an non educated person on same way.http://www.immigrationboards.com/images ... n_evil.gif

MonkeyBusiness

Post by MonkeyBusiness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 am

cannot agree more
[iD] wrote:

You're paying our fees then?
Use some common sense before posting. Every fortnightly changes with stupid effing excuses just to draw money from people is the reason why everyone's pissed.

To answer your comment regarding high skilled immigrants ability to pass the text, EXACTLY WHY WE ARE SAYING THAT WE DON'T FKING NEED ANOTHER STUPID mule ENGLISH TEST TO PROVE THAT WE CAN SPEAK ENGLISH

friday

Post by friday » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 pm

I had a quick look at the pdf file. If I have a degree (PhD research) taught in UK + passed life in UK test + applied for ILR before 28 Oct. 2013, do I need to a pass the english language for naturalisation?

I know it is mentioned that people with UK degree are automatically passed the english language. But this is mentioned in the ILR section. In the naturalisation section, it says "For some people this will mean passing a relevant speaking and listening qualification for the first time. Others will need to pass a speaking and listening qualification at a higher level than they had to demonstrate to be granted leave to enter or leave to remain in the UK.

So they mentioned two options only: (for some..)either pass the English test or (others) upgrade your already obtained degree. They did not mention about any other people who already have UK degree.

May you please advice on this.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:12 pm

If you read carefully, the whole objective is get more money through Leave To Remain Extensions (after 28th Oct 2013) for the dependents as if they don't meet the KOLL requirements, NO ILR, and need to extend their current dependent visa, paying a fees of over £1500 (which may increase further in coming years).

This is clear from below paragraph from the statement (Page 7).

We recognise that the new KoLL requirement may be challenging for some. We will therefore allow the following categories of applicant to apply for further periods of limited leave (subject to continuing to meet the other relevant Immigration Rules in their category) to enable them to meet the requirement if they not yet done so:

Another money fleecing tactic.

babe_khyber
Member of Standing

re ESOL and LIFE IN THE UK TEST FOR BOTH ILR AND BC

Post by babe_khyber » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 pm

Ramana66 wrote:If you read carefully, the whole objective is get more money through Leave To Remain Extensions (after 28th Oct 2013) for the dependents as if they don't meet the KOLL requirements, NO ILR, and need to extend their current dependent visa, paying a fees of over £1500 (which may increase further in coming years).

We recognise that the new KoLL requirement may be challenging for some. We will therefore allow the following categories of applicant to apply for further periods of limited leave (subject to continuing to meet the other relevant Immigration Rules in their category) to enable them to meet the requirement if they not yet done so:

What about that? Any chances of provision for Refugees whos already got it ILR,
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/busin ... providers/
babe khyber

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Ramana66 wrote:If you read carefully, the whole objective is get more money through Leave To Remain Extensions (after 28th Oct 2013) for the dependents as if they don't meet the KOLL requirements, NO ILR, and need to extend their current dependent visa, paying a fees of over £1500 (which may increase further in coming years).

It was, is and will always be about money. Half of those so called natives can't even spell the word tomorrow let alone passing the life in the uk test. All they know is how to say hello mate with their weird accents.
Goodluck.

Sep08T1Applicant
Mood:

Post by Sep08T1Applicant » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 am

[iD] wrote:

It was, is and will always be about money. Half of those so called natives can't even spell the word tomorrow let alone passing the life in the uk test. All they know is how to say hello mate with their weird accents.
exactly :(, nailed it
It is always about money, When they actually launch the new LIUT, there were some sample questions on MSN, I asked my colleagues to try it and the results were not really good. Unfortunately, tests, rules and fees are only meant to restrict and filter immigrants :(
(it is my opinion)