ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British naturalisation and English language qualifications

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Somudro
Member of Standing

British naturalisation and English language qualifications

Post by Somudro » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:36 am

Home Office to introduce new English language test to stay in UK

Individuals seeking British naturalisation or settlement will be required to hold English language qualifications as well as passing the Life in the UK test (LITUK), Immigration Minister Mark Harper announced today (8 April 2013).
English language

From 28 October, applicants must prove they possess an appropriate level of conversational English (B1 intermediate) as well as passing the LITUK test in order to satisfy the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/toug ... itizenship

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t-koll.pdf

Any opinion guys....

Amber
Mood:

Re: British naturalisation and English language qualificatio

Post by Amber » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Somudro wrote:Home Office to introduce new English language test to stay in UK

Individuals seeking British naturalisation or settlement will be required to hold English language qualifications as well as passing the Life in the UK test (LITUK), Immigration Minister Mark Harper announced today (8 April 2013).
English language

From 28 October, applicants must prove they possess an appropriate level of conversational English (B1 intermediate) as well as passing the LITUK test in order to satisfy the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/toug ... itizenship

Any opinion guys....
To be fair it's good in that people ought to be able to speak English well but bad in that some people don't integrate much so English is poor and they may take time to pass and thus more cost. They ought to concentrate on sorting out the backlogs before creating more red tape.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

boloney

Post by boloney » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 pm

D4109125 wrote: They ought to concentrate on sorting out the backlogs before creating more red tape.
thats the way to sort out backlog, less people will be applying due to more strict requirements so they will have time to sort it out :)

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 am

Do you know anything about the course? What type of course?

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 am

This is ironic. The HO can't even write correct English:

"...all adults, unless covered by a specific exemption, will be expected to meet the requirement, whether they are the main applicant or dependent."

aarnav

Post by aarnav » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:49 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=131609

This thread has some relevant discussion

Not sure how it impacts people who already have ILR ,but i think anyone applying for BC after 28th Oct has to undergo this test

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 am

Any course material that can be studied at home and sit for the exam for KOLL? Already passed the LIUK test.

It is very hard for the applicants to go to college for the course/class? Is it a must to go to class for the course? This is a waste of time.

I believe that the applicant has the capability to pass without any training/class attendance.

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am

Hi guys, as I want to get everything ready for Naturalisations, what is about this new rule from October 2013?
I was told before October it's only LIUKT Or ESOL certificate(Entry 3).
Now what do we exactly need? can someone please clarify everything?
Many thanks
Applied for EEA4 on 24/02/2012.
HO received on 27/02/2012.
Refusal received on 16/08/2012 dated 11/08/2012
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm

U need both English language qualifications as well as passing the Life in the UK test (LIUK)-- Shortly KOLL.

spike_UK

Post by spike_UK » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Somudro wrote:U need both English language qualifications as well as passing the Life in the UK test (LIUK)-- Shortly KOLL.
Thanks for quick reply.
OK I will do LIUK test, but what certificate at what level do I need? or what course do I need to take to get the English requirement certificate?
What is KOLL abbreviation for?
Many thanks.
Applied for EEA4 on 24/02/2012.
HO received on 27/02/2012.
Refusal received on 16/08/2012 dated 11/08/2012
At the court, the HO REP withdrawn the decision and asked me to send the DOC for the time before marriage.
PR dated 05/03/2013

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:46 pm

@spike_UK, that is the thing U aksed I am trying to understand. I want to be prepared earlier than later. I am in the same situation as Urs. Please check the link.
KoLL='knowledge of language and life in the UK'

Any expert please.

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Thu May 02, 2013 10:10 am

"A migrant who fulfils the Life in the UK requirement for settlement as it applies on or after 28 October 2013 will not be required to retake any elements in a later application for naturalisation but will be deemed automatically to satisfy KoLL at that later stage."

What is the explantion of this para-graph? Anyone please explain.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 02, 2013 11:45 am

Somudro wrote:"A migrant who fulfils the Life in the UK requirement for settlement as it applies on or after 28 October 2013 will not be required to retake any elements in a later application for naturalisation but will be deemed automatically to satisfy KoLL at that later stage."

What is the explantion of this para-graph? Anyone please explain.
Simply that if you meet the new requirements (life in the UK test + English language) for ILR (after October 2013), you won't be asked to meet it again when applying for BC in future.

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks for the reply. But I am confused to see the words- Life in the UK requirement for settlement . It does not say "(life in the UK test + English language)".

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue May 07, 2013 10:17 am

Somudro wrote:Thanks for the reply. But I am confused to see the words- Life in the UK requirement for settlement . It does not say "(life in the UK test + English language)".
Fair enough but I believe the intention in the text is what I wrote (basically - no need to prove the new requirements again for BC if already proved for ILR).