ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name not on Bills or Council Tax - Married / Spouse Visa

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Patsyie
Newly Registered

Name not on Bills or Council Tax - Married / Spouse Visa

Post by Patsyie » Fri May 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Hello, I got married in my home country in Feb 2012 and came here in the UK in May 2012. I am still here and my visa expires next year July 2014. I have been doing research and seeing what the process is like for the ILR. I know they need joint accounts documents and so on. But my Husband refuses to put my name on the bills or even his council tax. I am worried because they are gonna need those documents next year and I don't want to apply without them caz I'm not gonna get my ILR. Is there a way around this? Is there something I can do? I need advice. Thanks in advance

alanwong

Re: Name not on Bills or Council Tax - Married / Spouse Visa

Post by alanwong » Fri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm

Patsyie wrote:Hello, I got married in my home country in Feb 2012 and came here in the UK in May 2012. I am still here and my visa expires next year July 2014. I have been doing research and seeing what the process is like for the ILR. I know they need joint accounts documents and so on. But my Husband refuses to put my name on the bills or even his council tax. I am worried because they are gonna need those documents next year and I don't want to apply without them caz I'm not gonna get my ILR. Is there a way around this? Is there something I can do? I need advice. Thanks in advance
letters with both names will be good, but not necessary.
You can use official letters with your name only and official letters with your husband's name only together. Of course those letters have to have the same address.

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Fri May 10, 2013 7:12 pm

Patsyie wrote:Hello, I got married in my home country in Feb 2012 and came here in the UK in May 2012. I am still here and my visa expires next year July 2014. I have been doing research and seeing what the process is like for the ILR. I know they need joint accounts documents and so on. But my Husband refuses to put my name on the bills or even his council tax. I am worried because they are gonna need those documents next year and I don't want to apply without them caz I'm not gonna get my ILR. Is there a way around this? Is there something I can do? I need advice. Thanks in advance
what your husband doing is ILLEGAL he must put your name on council tax otherwise you are lying to government. He probably pay less that way and probably gets benefits.

Tell him to put you on council tax and bills. Bills dont have to be on both name but you both need to show that you live in the same address.

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:45 pm

Emrah wrote:
what your husband doing is ILLEGAL he must put your name on council tax otherwise you are lying to government. He probably pay less that way and probably gets benefits.

Tell him to put you on council tax and bills. Bills dont have to be on both name but you both need to show that you live in the same address.
Both Names should be included.,under the same address.Otherwise it is not a a Proof of Co-habittation.
KEVIN
Please Don't send me P. M If I haven't sent you One .

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 10, 2013 7:49 pm

I don't mean to intrude, but is your relationship ok? As what is happening has traits of domestic abuse.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

lolainkent

Post by lolainkent » Fri May 10, 2013 8:06 pm

You don't HAVE to have all 6 letters in your joint name, but it definitely helps. My husband purposefully added my name to our gas account from the start knowing that we'd need it for the ILR Visa. We submitted 2 of those in my application; all the other letters (6 more) were individual - his more of the bill variety, mine were mostly NHS related. You may want to inform your husband that his refusal to add your name to any bill whatsoever could make your application process longer than necessary (if they have doubts, they'll dig or ask for my info...all of which takes time).

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:16 pm

D4109125 wrote:
I don't mean to intrude, but is your relationship ok? As what is happening has traits of domestic abuse.
I did sense that too. It's plain bullying and cussadness.My advise to you is to consult a Good solicitoor and take his/her instructions.
KEVIN

Patsyie
Newly Registered

Name not in bills or Council tax - Married / Spousal Visa

Post by Patsyie » Sat May 11, 2013 6:37 am

Well, he had separated with his previous wife and is paying £££ to the CSA every month for his two daughters. I don't know the laws here about council tax or anything. When i asked him why my name isnt on the bills His exact words were " because I need my name on them for the CSA and for the council tax there will be an increase in how much is payable" ... That's what he said. It's not like I'm not working. I have a good job and I'm earning good £££ ... He even demanded that I pay him £400 every month. To the person that hinted domestic abuse ... I know it's not all physical amuse but also emotional and for you to just pick up on that from one question it's very bad. I have been asking him to put my names on the bills from June 2012 it's almost a year now and I'm still not on them. To even open a bank account I had to get a letter from HM Revenue & Customs with my Tax code on it as a proof of address. I asked him to put my name on his bank details so I could get an account to cash my cheques and he declined. Sigh. I have it tough. He argues with me every other day and he always threatens to throw me out. He even got divorce papers and is forcing me to sign it. I really don't know what to do. I just think that he's doing all this because I'm new to the country and ignorant to all the rules & laws here. I just don't know what to do.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Name not in bills or Council tax - Married / Spousal Vis

Post by Amber » Sat May 11, 2013 7:49 am

Patsyie wrote:Well, he had separated with his previous wife and is paying £££ to the CSA every month for his two daughters. I don't know the laws here about council tax or anything. When i asked him why my name isnt on the bills His exact words were " because I need my name on them for the CSA and for the council tax there will be an increase in how much is payable" ... That's what he said. It's not like I'm not working. I have a good job and I'm earning good £££ ... He even demanded that I pay him £400 every month. To the person that hinted domestic abuse ... I know it's not all physical amuse but also emotional and for you to just pick up on that from one question it's very bad. I have been asking him to put my names on the bills from June 2012 it's almost a year now and I'm still not on them. To even open a bank account I had to get a letter from HM Revenue & Customs with my Tax code on it as a proof of address. I asked him to put my name on his bank details so I could get an account to cash my cheques and he declined. Sigh. I have it tough. He argues with me every other day and he always threatens to throw me out. He even got divorce papers and is forcing me to sign it. I really don't know what to do. I just think that he's doing all this because I'm new to the country and ignorant to all the rules & laws here. I just don't know what to do.
The problem is if he's talking about divorce the relationship is arguably not subsisting and you won't be able to apply for settlement under set(m) if it is not. The council tax issues is illegal, however, you could just phone up the local authority and tell them you are living there. However, if you fear a violent reaction don't do this. You don't need to submit council tax documents. However, I think that your partner may not help with the form and you'll be hard pressed to get settlement under set(m) without his support.

I think you should contact southall black sisters and look at applying for settlement due to domestic abuse. Domestic abuse comes in many forms including emotional/mental and he could be using your immigration status against you. Start making a diary of his behaviour. Don't sign any papers he is asking you to, until you get legal advice from a solicitor. Contact southall black sisters here http://www.southallblacksisters.org.uk/
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Emrah

Post by Emrah » Sat May 11, 2013 11:23 am

where is he from btw? what a p....

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Re: Name not in bills or Council tax - Married / Spousal Vis

Post by Kevin24 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:34 am

Patsyie wrote:Well, he had separated with his previous wife and is paying £££ to the CSA every month for his two daughters. I don't know the laws here about council tax or anything. When i asked him why my name isnt on the bills His exact words were " because I need my name on them for the CSA and for the council tax there will be an increase in how much is payable" ... That's what he said. It's not like I'm not working. I have a good job and I'm earning good £££ ... He even demanded that I pay him £400 every month. To the person that hinted domestic abuse ... I know it's not all physical amuse but also emotional and for you to just pick up on that from one question it's very bad. I have been asking him to put my names on the bills from June 2012 it's almost a year now and I'm still not on them. To even open a bank account I had to get a letter from HM Revenue & Customs with my Tax code on it as a proof of address. I asked him to put my name on his bank details so I could get an account to cash my cheques and he declined. Sigh. I have it tough. He argues with me every other day and he always threatens to throw me out. He even got divorce papers and is forcing me to sign it. I really don't know what to do. I just think that he's doing all this because I'm new to the country and ignorant to all the rules & laws here. I just don't know what to do.
Members in this Forum we like to help each other. Not picking up any thing to hurt you.If you feel that way ,you are wrong. For the 5 months since I have been a Member in this Forum, the support I have received is so much. I feel really humbled and overwhelmed with that support.
KEVIN

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:03 pm

D4109125 wrote:
Among the Senior Members in this Forum, D4109125 is one of those I have lots of Respect and Regard for his knowledge and Experience.
KEVIN

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat May 11, 2013 2:35 pm

Kevin24 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
Among the Senior Members in this Forum, D4109125 is one of those I have lots of Respect and Regard for his knowledge and Experience.
Thank you, but I think the op means that it is bad that the abuse is obvious from her post, not that it's bad we are saying she could be possibly suffering domestic abuse. Indeed, I think she is aware there is something wrong in the relationship.

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:39 pm

D4109125 wrote:
Kevin24 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
Thank you, but I think the op means that it is bad that the abuse is obvious from her post, not that it's bad we are saying she could be possibly suffering domestic abuse. Indeed, I think she is aware there is something wrong in the relationship.
That's right. As long as the op understands we allw are here to help her.
KEVIN

Patsyie
Newly Registered

Post by Patsyie » Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Oh my days, no Kevin you have it wrong. I'm saying that's it's bad that you can pick up from my question that I'm in a very abusive relationship. I'm sorry if it came across wrong. I'm very grateful to any advice/ information I can get. I'm sorry if I have wronged anyone.

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:28 pm

Patsyie wrote:Oh my days, no Kevin you have it wrong. I'm saying that's it's bad that you can pick up from my question that I'm in a very abusive relationship. I'm sorry if it came across wrong. I'm very grateful to any advice/ information I can get. I'm sorry if I have wronged anyone.
No need to apologise.. You have not wronged me or any one in this Forum.
KEVIN

Patsyie
Newly Registered

Post by Patsyie » Sat May 11, 2013 5:34 pm

Any advice on what I should do?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat May 11, 2013 5:44 pm

Patsyie wrote:Any advice on what I should do?
did you read what I posted above?

Patsyie
Newly Registered

Post by Patsyie » Sat May 11, 2013 7:43 pm

Ahh .. I didn't see it there .. Thanks Amber. I just hope all goes well for me... I've been through so much :(

[quote="D4109125"][quote="Patsyie"]Any advice on what I should do?[/quote]

did you read what I posted above?[/quote]

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Patsyie wrote:Ahh .. I didn't see it there .. Thanks Amber. I just hope all goes well for me... I've been through so much :(

D4109125 wrote:
Patsyie wrote:Any advice on what I should do?
did you read what I posted above?
Be positive and face this problem head on. We wre there to help you all the way. Keep us posted with the progress.. Good Luck.
KEVIN