ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Engligh Language Requirements for Naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ssas
Newly Registered

New Engligh Language Requirements for Naturalization

Post by ssas » Thu May 23, 2013 11:43 am

Hello Everyone,
Hope all memebers are doing good.

I just wondered if anyone had a look at the changes for ILR and Naturlization applications that will be effective 28 October 2013.
I and my wife got ILR on 19/11/2012 and had passed Life in the UK Test. Would we need to take english language qualification at B1 CEFR or higher in addition to existing Life in the UK Test when applying for Naturlization November this year?

Would appreciate and expert advice.
Thanks.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu May 23, 2013 11:58 am

Yes. From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants.

Izno

Post by Izno » Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 pm

dear all ,

I did my life in the UK test a year ago applying for ILR ( 10 years residency ) i also studied in UK . Do i need to retake a new test before applying for British Passport because of the new rules ?

many thanks

linkers wrote:Yes. From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants.

antouk

Post by antouk » Thu May 23, 2013 3:51 pm

linkers wrote:Yes. From 28 October 2013, there will be two parts to the knowledge of language and life requirement, both of which must be met by all applicants.
But in the statement of intent it says:

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the
KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:
• Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).
• Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.
Both of these groups will, however, be required to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate
their knowledge of life in the UK.

and

The KoLL requirement for naturalisation as a British citizen will be the same as that for settlement
and the same English language qualifications will be accepted.

am i missing something here?
-HSMP(2008)->Tier 1(2009)->ILR(2013)->Naturalisation(2014)->OCI(2014)-

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu May 23, 2013 4:03 pm

You have to either get one of the English Language Qualifications or have to be a National of majority English speaking country/have obtained a degree taught in English.

Full Statement of Intent can be found here.

ssas
Newly Registered

Post by ssas » Thu May 23, 2013 7:05 pm

Thank you for clarification. I have done my Master from here. I guess that would be enough?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu May 23, 2013 7:18 pm

ssas wrote:Thank you for clarification. I have done my Master from here. I guess that would be enough?
Indeed.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

anzd

Post by anzd » Thu May 23, 2013 7:52 pm

So this new language requirement is for everyone irrespective of when they passed their Life in UK test? I got ILR in January this year will be applying for citizenship January next year. Did my degrees in English in South Africa, must I now include degree certificates in application?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu May 23, 2013 8:55 pm

anzd wrote:So this new language requirement is for everyone irrespective of when they passed their Life in UK test? I got ILR in January this year will be applying for citizenship January next year. Did my degrees in English in South Africa, must I now include degree certificates in application?
If you are not from a majority English speaking Country, yes.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

anzd

Post by anzd » Thu May 23, 2013 9:20 pm

English is one of our official national languages.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 pm

anzd wrote:English is one of our official national languages.
Regardless, the Country must be listed in Appendix A

anzd

Post by anzd » Thu May 23, 2013 10:36 pm

So I will just submit my degree certificates along with the Life in UK certificate and that should suffice?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 24, 2013 5:36 am

anzd wrote:So I will just submit my degree certificates along with the Life in UK certificate and that should suffice?
See, http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/H ... Apply.aspx

antouk

Post by antouk » Fri May 24, 2013 5:57 am

I am from HSMP-TIER1 route. I have satisfied the English language requirement as part of the HSMP process. Do i still need to provide the degree certificate?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 24, 2013 6:52 am

antouk wrote:I am from HSMP-TIER1 route. I have satisfied the English language requirement as part of the HSMP process. Do i still need to provide the degree certificate?
Read the statement of intent - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -of-intent

antouk

Post by antouk » Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 am

D4109125 wrote:
antouk wrote:I am from HSMP-TIER1 route. I have satisfied the English language requirement as part of the HSMP process. Do i still need to provide the degree certificate?
Read the statement of intent - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -of-intent
Yes the statement says :

So, for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2
(General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in
order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.

anzd

Post by anzd » Fri May 24, 2013 1:03 pm

D4109125 wrote:
anzd wrote:So I will just submit my degree certificates along with the Life in UK certificate and that should suffice?
What is this link to? Does not seem to answer my question at all.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 24, 2013 1:08 pm

anzd wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
What is this link to? Does not seem to answer my question at all.
The link is to verify that your degree is comparable to a British degree!

antouk

Post by antouk » Fri May 24, 2013 1:47 pm

I dont think we need to go for NARIC anymore, Home office already has a huge database of degrees which can be verified through PBS points calculator. correct me i am wrong.

anzd

Post by anzd » Fri May 24, 2013 2:51 pm

But I submitted my degree certificates in 2007 when I made the application to live in the UK in the first place (UK Ancestry route), so it must be accepted., surely?

junjun24
Newly Registered

Post by junjun24 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Is GCSE english certificate and life in the uk test pass notification letter sufficient for British naturalisation application after 28 October, 2013?

Coffee10

Post by Coffee10 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:42 pm

one question:any person applying for BC before October 28 does not need to meet new language requirement only if applying on or after? what about if someone apply just before October 28 lets say week before that date.will home office accept this application or might refuse it? what date is more important ?date of sending or receiving?thank you for replay

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri May 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Coffee10 wrote:one question:any person applying for BC before October 28 does not need to meet new language requirement only if applying on or after? what about if someone apply just before October 28 lets say week before that date.will home office accept this application or might refuse it? what date is more important ?date of sending or receiving?thank you for replay
For naturalisation, any application received by the HO on or after 28th October 2013 will need to meet the new language requirement.

junjun24
Newly Registered

Post by junjun24 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 am

I have got a question here. In order to apply for a British citizenship one now has to also pass a so called English Speaking and Listening Qualification B1 Exam or to provide UKBA with a proof of an equivalent qualification (the changes to take place as of October 2013). I have got my GCSE English, I've done A Levels that are taught in English and I will be on my third year of uni in September. I have tried to find out if I can use one of these as an equivalent to B1 qualification, but I have not yet managed to find an answer. Please if someone can help me, I would be grateful.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat May 25, 2013 8:44 am

junjun24 wrote:I have got a question here. In order to apply for a British citizenship one now has to also pass a so called English Speaking and Listening Qualification B1 Exam or to provide UKBA with a proof of an equivalent qualification (the changes to take place as of October 2013). I have got my GCSE English, I've done A Levels that are taught in English and I will be on my third year of uni in September. I have tried to find out if I can use one of these as an equivalent to B1 qualification, but I have not yet managed to find an answer. Please if someone can help me, I would be grateful.
UKBA wrote: Do you accept other qualifications like GCSE’s?

No. We do not currently accept qualifications like GCSE’s or International GCSE’s. There are practical issues with using other qualifications to demonstrate they meet our English language requirements including the need to have a system to verify such qualifications and the fact they may not test the skills we require e.g. speaking and listening.