ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

one year wait after ilr

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Izno

one year wait after ilr

Post by Izno » Thu May 23, 2013 3:37 pm

Dear All,

I been granted ILR ( 10 years Route ) a month ago. I am a bit confused , I just wanted to know, why do I need to wait for One year so that i can apply for British passport ? Since my ILR took more than 10 months..will it count if i apply earlier ?

many thanks

Amber
Mood:

Re: one year wait after ilr

Post by Amber » Thu May 23, 2013 3:53 pm

Izno wrote:Dear All,

I been granted ILR ( 10 years Route ) a month ago. I am a bit confused , I just wanted to know, why do I need to wait for One year so that i can apply for British passport ? Since my ILR took more than 10 months..will it count if i apply earlier ?

many thanks
British Passport, I assume you mean apply to naturalise? The standard requirements (assuming you're not the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen) include being settled for 12 months (ILR) and having resided in the UK for 5 years.

However, as your ILR decision was delayed (assuming not your fault) then you can apply 15 months after applying for ILR. Thus if it has been 11 months since you applied for ILR you can apply to naturalise in 4 more months assuming you meet the standard requirements
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Izno

Post by Izno » Fri May 24, 2013 11:03 pm

Thanks for reply .

So , once gaining ILR whats the next step . sorry i am bit confused. naturalisation and applying for a british passport is it different ?

I am single and granted ilr based on 10 years residency. Do i still need to wait 15 months ?
D4109125 wrote:

many thanks
British Passport, I assume you mean apply to naturalise? The standard requirements (assuming you're not the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen) include being settled for 12 months (ILR) and having resided in the UK for 5 years.

However, as your ILR decision was delayed (assuming not your fault) then you can apply 15 months after applying for ILR. Thus if it has been 11 months since you applied for ILR you can apply to naturalise in 4 more months assuming you meet the standard requirements

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sat May 25, 2013 4:21 am

Izno wrote:Thanks for reply .

So , once gaining ILR whats the next step . sorry i am bit confused. naturalisation and applying for a british passport is it different ?

I am single and granted ilr based on 10 years residency. Do i still need to wait 15 months ?
D4109125 wrote:

many thanks

You apply for a British Passport when your are a British Citizen, this is after you are naturalised. When did you apply for ILR and when did you receive it?
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Izno

Post by Izno » Sat May 25, 2013 11:34 pm

I applied for ILR on the 10 August 2012. Received on 10 May .

D4109125 wrote:

D4109125 wrote:

many thanks

You apply for a British Passport when your are a British Citizen, this is after you are naturalised. When did you apply for ILR and when did you receive it?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 6:38 am

Izno wrote:I applied for ILR on the 10 August 2012. Received on 10 May .

D4109125 wrote:

D4109125 wrote:

If it was protracted at not fault of your own then you could possibly apply to naturalise 15 months after you applied for ILR - December 2013? Providing you meet the other standard requirements.

ryan2020
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by ryan2020 » Sun May 26, 2013 1:37 pm

D4109125 wrote:

many thanks

I don't think so . You have to be on ILR for 12 months only then you are eligible for naturalization.

Wether you got ILR in 1 month or in 10 months . That period doesn't count towards your eligibility for naturalization.

The date your ILR approved i.e 2nd Jan 2013 from that time you have to wait 12 months for eligibility for naturalization i.e 1st Jan 2014.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun May 26, 2013 2:13 pm

ryan2020 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

many thanks

I don't think so . You have to be on ILR for 12 months only then you are eligible for naturalization.

Wether you got ILR in 1 month or in 10 months . That period doesn't count towards your eligibility for naturalization.

The date your ILR approved i.e 2nd Jan 2013 from that time you have to wait 12 months for eligibility for naturalization i.e 1st Jan 2014.

You are wrong, there is discretion in protracted ilr cases under 7.5(g) to allow naturalisation after 15 months from the date of an ilr application see http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Izno

Post by Izno » Sun May 26, 2013 11:08 pm

So what will be the quickest route ? Many thanks .
D4109125 wrote:
ryan2020 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

many thanks

You are wrong, there is discretion in protracted ilr cases under 7.5(g) to allow naturalisation after 15 months from the date of an ilr application see http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon May 27, 2013 6:22 am

Izno wrote:So what will be the quickest route ? Many thanks .
D4109125 wrote:
ryan2020 wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

It depends, if you wish to 'take a chance' then you can apply with discretion after 15 months from when you applied for ilr, providing you meet the other requirements. However, if you want to be certain then 12 months following ilr providing you meet the other requirements. A 10 month delay seems protracted to me so you stand a good chance, however, the decision is up to you.