ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK/EEA family member and holiday to Spain, no visa required?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

themightywhites
Newly Registered

UK/EEA family member and holiday to Spain, no visa required?

Post by themightywhites » Tue May 28, 2013 11:47 am

Hello everyone

Have looked through the stickies etc, and would be grateful if you could confirm that the following is correct please:

• I am a UK citizen/hold a UK (and Irish) passport; have always lived in the UK
• My wife is an Indian citizen; she has ILR in the UK
• Some months ago we applied for (from UK Border Agency, Liverpool) an EEA family permit (we did this so she could travel to Spain with me for a 2 week holiday, without having to apply for a Spanish tourist visa)
• This has been granted and the European residence card from the BA says that she is a ‘family member of an EEA citizen’.

Is it correct that this will allow her to travel to Spain with me, without a visa?

mick5

Post by mick5 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Thats right she doesn't need visa to go to Spain all you have to carry Marriage certificate and when you arrive at Spain immigration make sure you show your passport and your wife both passport together.
Recently i went to Spain with my girl friend we are not married even i had visa for Spain when i showed my girl friend and my passport together he saw my passport and told me you dont need visa to enter in Spain as you have "Family member of EEA National" on you passport.
As long as you travel together its fine.

themightywhites
Newly Registered

Post by themightywhites » Tue May 28, 2013 5:02 pm

mick5 wrote:Thats right she doesn't need visa to go to Spain all you have to carry Marriage certificate and when you arrive at Spain immigration make sure you show your passport and your wife both passport together.
Recently i went to Spain with my girl friend we are not married even i had visa for Spain when i showed my girl friend and my passport together he saw my passport and told me you dont need visa to enter in Spain as you have "Family member of EEA National" on you passport.
As long as you travel together its fine.
Thank-you very much for your reply.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: UK/EEA family member and holiday to Spain, no visa requi

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue May 28, 2013 7:01 pm

themightywhites wrote:Hello everyone

Have looked through the stickies etc, and would be grateful if you could confirm that the following is correct please:

• I am a UK citizen/hold a UK (and Irish) passport; have always lived in the UK
• My wife is an Indian citizen; she has ILR in the UK
• Some months ago we applied for (from UK Border Agency, Liverpool) an EEA family permit (we did this so she could travel to Spain with me for a 2 week holiday, without having to apply for a Spanish tourist visa)
• This has been granted and the European residence card from the BA says that she is a ‘family member of an EEA citizen’.

Is it correct that this will allow her to travel to Spain with me, without a visa?
It is interesting that your wife has both ILR and a residence card and that you are a dual national. When did you apply for the residence card?

To answer your original question, you will be able to enter Spain w/o visa as long as you travel together.

themightywhites
Newly Registered

Post by themightywhites » Tue May 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks very much. My wife got ILR from the Border Agency in Croydon on the basis of marriage to me in 2009; we have just been given the `European` residency card (family member) in the last couple of weeks.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Thanks for posting back. When did you submit your application, was it pre-October 2012?

themightywhites
Newly Registered

Post by themightywhites » Tue May 28, 2013 7:54 pm

No it was Jan/Feb this year.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue May 28, 2013 7:56 pm

The UK has recently amended its rules to make life more difficult for dual national Brits. There is no real implication for you given that your wife has ILR in any case.

Her residence card will allow her to travel visa free.

themightywhites
Newly Registered

Post by themightywhites » Tue May 28, 2013 8:05 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:The UK has recently amended its rules to make life more difficult for dual national Brits. There is no real implication for you given that your wife has ILR in any case.

Her residence card will allow her to travel visa free.

Thanks a lot, very happy now! For info, we applied with my UK passport. I don't recall them asking about any other passport I hold, but would have disclosed it if I had been asked.