ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Option after BC?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vidsrao

Option after BC?

Post by vidsrao » Thu May 30, 2013 9:41 am

All,

We will be attending our naturalisation ceremony on Tuesday June 4th 2013 and therefore our INDIAN Citizenship will be renunced from that day. Is there any chance we can delay naturalisation ceremeony until September?
I assume answer will be no.

I believe we have 3 months grace period to use our INDIAN passports.
Im planning to travel to INDIA by July 1st week and will be staying in until September 2nd week. Grace period to use INDIAN passport will end by September 4th 2013.

Do I have option to surrender Indian Passport and get visa/OCI card in India?

We will be applying for British passport ASAP since we dont want to endup having no valid passport in hand.

If I return back from India on September 2nd week using India PP does it violate Indian law of using PP after giving up citizenship? - I assume it does violate INDIAN law and I will be penalised for using PP while returning back.

What option do I have now ?

Thanks,
Vidhya

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:32 am

The two best practical options are

1. You use your Indian passport and pay some penalty when you surrender. Cost you a little bit, but no headaches, no more confusions and no tight schedules.

2. Obtain British passport, surrender Indian passport and obtain Indian Visa.

You can apply for OCI in India, but the requirement is that you should have a valid visa in India when you apply for OCI. Now, if you surrender your Indian passport in India, then basically you are foreign citizen in India without a visa. You can't apply for OCI, and you can't leave India as the Indian immigration will arrest you before you leave because you are a British Citizen without a visa in India. Expect to spend a few nights in police station and then spend a few months in an Indian Jail.