ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of surname for wife

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nehalbhagat

Change of surname for wife

Post by nehalbhagat » Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 pm

Hello friends,

My naturilisation application is approved today so I assume my wife can apply before she completes her 5 years in UK. Apparently we didn't get chance to change her surname after our marriage so can I fill her naturilisation application with my surname even if her passport is showing her birth surname.

How to change surname at the time of application ?

Will there any negative effect of this in India i.e. on our investment etc.

kindly advise

December31

Post by December31 » Thu May 30, 2013 7:14 pm

I am in the same boat, can someone please clarify

teawithlemon

Re: Change of surname for wife

Post by teawithlemon » Fri May 31, 2013 3:28 am

nehalbhagat wrote:Hello friends,

My naturilisation application is approved today so I assume my wife can apply before she completes her 5 years in UK. Apparently we didn't get chance to change her surname after our marriage so can I fill her naturilisation application with my surname even if her passport is showing her birth surname.

How to change surname at the time of application ?

Will there any negative effect of this in India i.e. on our investment etc.

kindly advise
You have to get a deed poll. Anywhere in UK deed poll is officially acceptable. If you changed her surname before naturalization then inform her bank and also Indian high commission and get a new Indian passport on her new name.
And if you want to keep things easy then apply without changing name and once it gets approved then after received ceremony certificate change name with deed poll and apply British passport.

And if you want things simpler than anything then my suggestion would be explain Home office prior to application that she wants your surname on her certificate and attached.marriage certificate.

nehalbhagat

Post by nehalbhagat » Fri May 31, 2013 8:11 am

Thanks friend for your reply..

I think best thing to speak to UKBA before application. My other question was how would this change effect things back home(i.e. Election card, bank accounts,investment etc.)

kindly advise
Thanks

teawithlemon

Re: Reply

Post by teawithlemon » Fri May 31, 2013 8:38 am

nehalbhagat wrote:Thanks friend for your reply..

I think best thing to speak to UKBA before application. My other question was how would this change effect things back home(i.e. Election card, bank accounts,investment etc.)

kindly advise
Thanks
It wont effect you as my friend is Indian and he also changed his name by deed poll and then went to HO and received new vintage sticker on his new Indian passport in mid 2012 and change your bank details and property details in India as well. I dont know Indian law so Indian national would able to help you. There is a thing call right of abode , but to be honest I am not sure whether someone with citizenship certificate able to apply for right of abode in UK. But a expert or lawyer is best for you. So i will suggest you to see a indian lawyer who is practicing in UK . As many of them know things much better than us. Thank you.

teawithlemon

Re: Reply

Post by teawithlemon » Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 am

nehalbhagat wrote:Thanks friend for your reply..

kindly advise
Thanks
It wont effect you as my friend is Indian and he also changed his name by deed poll and then went to HO and received new vintage sticker on his new Indian passport in mid 2012 and change your bank details and property details in India as well. I dont know Indian law so Indian national would able to help you. There is a thing call right of abode , but to be honest I am not sure whether someone with citizenship certificate able to apply for right of abode in UK. But a expert or lawyer is best for you. So i will suggest you to see a indian lawyer who is practicing in UK . As many of them know things much better than us. Thank you.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Fri May 31, 2013 4:37 pm

And the easiest option would be to leave the name as it is. :)