ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GOOD CHARACTER(DEBTS) FOR CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT..HELP.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ukforever
Member of Standing

GOOD CHARACTER(DEBTS) FOR CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT..HELP.

Post by ukforever » Wed May 15, 2013 1:55 pm

hi guys,

A friend of mine applied for citizenship recently,and he was asking me the other day about good character requirements and debt,the thing is,he told me that he has some debt issue,he is paying some arrears of rent and housing benefits so this is sorted,but apparently he bought some thing from a furniture company and he owes them money,he used to pay £20 a month and the debt is around £250,but he is not paying anymore as he is on job seekers and he is struggling to make ends meet,he is willing to pay it off,he just got himself in a very bad period.

my question is :could it be a ground of refusal for his citizenship??
what are the chances that this could be the reason they would refuse him citizenship??
if he makes an inquiry with the company he owe money and get to an agreement of monthly installment payments,would it be enough to show that there is efforts to sort out the debt..??
i'm not sure if its too late or not to ask,he applied end of march so i guess he could get an answer soon..!!!
any advice guys is welcome..thanks.
UK------++++-------****

Amber
Mood:

Re: GOOD CHARACTER(DEBTS) FOR CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENT..HELP.

Post by Amber » Wed May 15, 2013 3:24 pm

ukforever wrote:hi guys,

A friend of mine applied for citizenship recently,and he was asking me the other day about good character requirements and debt,the thing is,he told me that he has some debt issue,he is paying some arrears of rent and housing benefits so this is sorted,but apparently he bought some thing from a furniture company and he owes them money,he used to pay £20 a month and the debt is around £250,but he is not paying anymore as he is on job seekers and he is struggling to make ends meet,he is willing to pay it off,he just got himself in a very bad period.

what are the chances that this could be the reason they would refuse him citizenship??
if he makes an inquiry with the company he owe money and get to an agreement of monthly installment payments,would it be enough to show that there is efforts to sort out the debt..??
i'm not sure if its too late or not to ask,he applied end of march so i guess he could get an answer soon..!!!
Generally debts would not be a reason for refusal unless the applicant was a person with an undischarged bankruptcy or they had CCJs and showed an unwillingness to pay their debts. If you have CCJs you should disclose them as civil judgments. If the applicant is receiving JSA he should consider making token payments (£1 pcm) to the creditors to show that he is intending to pay off the debts. Moreover, upon success of naturalization the applicant should consider a debt relief order.
Last edited by Amber on Sun May 19, 2013 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm

D4109125 wrote:

Generally debts would be a reason for refusal unless the applicant was a person with an undischarged bankruptcy or they had CCJs and showed an unwillingness to pay their debts. If you have CCJs you should disclose them as civil judgments. If the applicant is receiving JSA he should consider making token payments (£1 pcm) to the creditors to show that he is intending to pay off the debts. Moreover, upon success of naturalization the applicant should consider a debt relief order.
thanks for the quick reply,my friend is considering contacting citizen advice bureau,so they can contact his creditors to sort out a monthly payment like u suggested,but what i was thinking was,my friend did not have any other problems before and its just around £250 so it can be sorted and as far as i'm aware and know my friend didn't have any CCJs or undischarged bankruptcy and never had court order or anything,its just been like maybe 5 or 6 month since he stopped payment due to him moving home and other personnel reasons,nevertheless,he is willing to do his best to sort out this issue,as per to show in the same time that he is doing all he can and intend to pay off the debt.

one more question:if he gets a refusal,lets say in the next week or two,because of this,can he send a request for reconsideration to the home office,adding paper work from the CAB and letters +bank statement showing that the applicant is paying back for the debt..i'm asking this question only if worst case scenario he gets refusal because of the debt...what do u think??i've read somewhere that if u get a refusal for citizenship and if u think that u got refused unlawfully,u can appeal..and i know that for reconsideration u have to pay i think around £80 ,well better than submitting another application at £874 wouldn't u say??
UK------++++-------****

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed May 15, 2013 3:57 pm

ukforever wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

Generally debts would be a reason for refusal unless the applicant was a person with an undischarged bankruptcy or they had CCJs and showed an unwillingness to pay their debts. If you have CCJs you should disclose them as civil judgments. If the applicant is receiving JSA he should consider making token payments (£1 pcm) to the creditors to show that he is intending to pay off the debts. Moreover, upon success of naturalization the applicant should consider a debt relief order.
thanks for the quick reply,my friend is considering contacting citizen advice bureau,so they can contact his creditors to sort out a monthly payment like u suggested,but what i was thinking was,my friend did not have any other problems before and its just around £250 so it can be sorted and as far as i'm aware and know my friend didn't have any CCJs or undischarged bankruptcy and never had court order or anything,its just been like maybe 5 or 6 month since he stopped payment due to him moving home and other personnel reasons,nevertheless,he is willing to do his best to sort out this issue,as per to show in the same time that he is doing all he can and intend to pay off the debt.

one more question:if he gets a refusal,lets say in the next week or two,because of this,can he send a request for reconsideration to the home office,adding paper work from the CAB and letters +bank statement showing that the applicant is paying back for the debt..i'm asking this question only if worst case scenario he gets refusal because of the debt...what do u think??i've read somewhere that if u get a refusal for citizenship and if u think that u got refused unlawfully,u can appeal..and i know that for reconsideration u have to pay i think around £80 ,well better than submitting another application at £874 wouldn't u say??
There is no right of appeal for naturalization decisions though you can ask for a reconsideration. However, I would be very surprised if the application was refused for the debts.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Wed May 15, 2013 4:13 pm

D4109125 wrote:
ukforever wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

There is no right of appeal for naturalization decisions though you can ask for a reconsideration. However, I would be very surprised if the application was refused for the debts.
so u think its rare to see someone get refused just for £250 of debts..!!
i mean,did u come across some cases like this one ?
i really think that its not the case that he is going to get refused but i know for a fact that people got refused from the home office in general for less than that..!!what do u make of that?
UK------++++-------****

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed May 15, 2013 5:25 pm

ukforever wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
ukforever wrote:
D4109125 wrote:

i really think that its not the case that he is going to get refused but i know for a fact that people got refused from the home office in general for less than that..!!what do u make of that?
I do not think the applicant will be refused. Furthermore, unless you're the applicant you will not know their particular circumstances, the reason other people may have been refused is not necessarily the reason they tell you.

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Wed May 15, 2013 6:19 pm

D4109125 wrote:
ukforever wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
ukforever wrote:

I do not think the applicant will be refused. Furthermore, unless you're the applicant you will not know their particular circumstances, the reason other people may have been refused is not necessarily the reason they tell you.
no,i'm not the applicant,as i mentioned he is a friend and he is a close one,u could say he is my best firend and i'm 110% sure of the details i provided,no need to hide anything if u really need proper advise and help ;-) .

i know personally his case and i helped him so many times to get through his troubles,i hope he can sort them out after he gets his citizenship,i don't think he will go for the debt relief order,in a way its a way to get rid of the debt but at the end of the day,it will come at a price..i think its better for him not to go for it,i'll advise him not to,its better for him for the future when dealing with payments,credits,bank account..the option u mentioned will restrict him from applying for anything really,i've read about it,he will be restricted for 6 years..i don't think getting rid of £250+ is worthy getting restricted for the next 5+ years...besides,its not the right thing to do,i believe if any one made credit on his name,needs to honor it and pay it back,doesn't matter how much and i'll be advising my firend to pay it back.
UK------++++-------****

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Wed May 15, 2013 6:20 pm

thanks for the advise though...fingers crossed :)
UK------++++-------****

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 15, 2013 9:25 pm

I find it interesting that he wasn't able/willing to pay a £250 debt but was able to pay £850 for naturalisation.

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Thu May 16, 2013 4:34 am

Jambo wrote:I find it interesting that he wasn't able/willing to pay a £250 debt but was able to pay £850 for naturalisation.
the applicant borrowed money from a family member to pay for the fees,and i don't know or see how it is interesting for u or for any other person for that matter...i'm sorry to say it this way,we come here to get help not to get judged or anything else..!!the applicant has his reasons and no one is in his shoes and i shouldn't be put in this position to tell people or explain why my friend did not afford or wasn't willing to pay for the debt and why he did pay for the fees instead..the question was answered/advised for,thanks for the people who contributed ..i don't see what else is interesting and i prefer and would suggest if anyone is here to help,no need to go elsewhere,please just stick on the question asked...if u can't help,please don't bother.

for some,citizenship is nothing but for others it can open many doors,and my friend struggled a lot in his life,and like everybody else in here everyone had his circumstances and priorities..and for my friend borrowing money to pay for naturalization was a priority.

i get really frustrated when people find it appealing judging or just making really stupid comments,i'm sorry if i'm straight forward but i feel like you took the liberty to be straight with a subject that u don't know anything about let alone the applicant..
U are a guru in here,u must came across many cases like this one,and i'm really surprised that u of all people,made a comment like that.

the comment above was really unnecessary,and it wasn't answering any question or contributed to the topic's goal,which was giving advise,nothing else.
UK------++++-------****

zubby007
Member of Standing

Post by zubby007 » Sat May 18, 2013 8:36 pm

[quote="ukforever"][quote="Jambo"]I find it interesting that he wasn't able/willing to pay a £250 debt but was able to pay £850 for naturalisation.[/quote]

the applicant borrowed money from a family member to pay for the fees,and i don't know or see how it is interesting for u or for any other person for that matter...i'm sorry to say it this way,we come here to get help not to get judged or anything else..!!the applicant has his reasons and no one is in his shoes and i shouldn't be put in this position to tell people or explain why my friend did not afford or wasn't willing to pay for the debt and why he did pay for the fees instead..the question was answered/advised for,thanks for the people who contributed ..i don't see what else is interesting and i prefer and would suggest if anyone is here to help,no need to go elsewhere,please just stick on the question asked...if u can't help,please don't bother.

for some,citizenship is nothing but for others it can open many doors,and my friend struggled a lot in his life,and like everybody else in here everyone had his circumstances and priorities..and for my friend borrowing money to pay for naturalization was a priority.

i get really frustrated when people find it appealing judging or just making really stupid comments,i'm sorry if i'm straight forward but i feel like you took the liberty to be straight with a subject that u don't know anything about let alone the applicant..
U are a guru in here,u must came across many cases like this one,and i'm really surprised that u of all people,made a comment like that.

the comment above was really unnecessary,and it wasn't answering any question or contributed to the topic's goal,which was giving advise,nothing else.[/quote]

Mate, I can understand your frustration towards Jumbo's comment and understand as well what Jumbo was trying to pass on, Am wishing your friend luck.

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Sat May 18, 2013 9:01 pm

zubby007 wrote:
ukforever wrote:
Jambo wrote:I find it interesting that he wasn't able/willing to pay a £250 debt but was able to pay £850 for naturalisation.

the comment above was really unnecessary,and it wasn't answering any question or contributed to the topic's goal,which was giving advise,nothing else.

Mate, I can understand your frustration towards Jumbo's comment and understand as well what Jumbo was trying to pass on, Am wishing your friend luck.
its no big deal for me,honestly,i already forgot about it,but to respond to your comment,i don't see really what he was trying to pass on,shed some light for me please..!!
i just wish that people don't judge before they know whats going on,i don't know if u noticed me replying on peoples threads,i tend to be objective and give advise on the question asked,i don't question peoples motives or intentions,if someone is here ,it means he looks for answers,help and guidance,if i can help i advise according to the question asked if i have experienced it or if i know of someone who did..there is no need for me to go where i'm not suppose to,people have issues and circumstances that sometimes we have to not share and we have to respect that..what happened with jumbo was unfortunate and i wish he is not going to make the same mistake,i know because i was there,done that,so i can tell.
no hard feelings from my part,i wish i did not upset anybody by my comments,specially jumbo.
UK------++++-------****

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 pm

D4109125 wrote: Generally debts would be a reason for refusal unless the applicant was a person with an undischarged bankruptcy or they had CCJs and showed an unwillingness to pay their debts...
I think you mean "Generally debts would NOT be a reason for refusal...".

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Sun May 19, 2013 3:23 am

Christophe wrote:
D4109125 wrote: Generally debts would be a reason for refusal unless the applicant was a person with an undischarged bankruptcy or they had CCJs and showed an unwillingness to pay their debts...
nice one.
UK------++++-------****

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Sun May 19, 2013 5:02 am

Christophe wrote:
Indeed, keeps doing that on my ipad, just shows I should re-read.

And to the OP,I'm afraid the late payments will also stay on your friends credit profile for at least 6 years, if there is a default, which there more than likely is then that will have a similar affect as a DRO for the next 6 years. Your friend may also have more debts that he/she has told you, as that's often the case.

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Sun May 19, 2013 11:36 am

D4109125 wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Indeed, keeps doing that on my ipad, just shows I should re-read.

And to the OP,I'm afraid the late payments will also stay on your friends credit profile for at least 6 years, if there is a default, which there more than likely is then that will have a similar affect as a DRO for the next 6 years. Your friend may also have more debts that he/she has told you, as that's often the case.
thanks for the comment,as for my friend he told me everything about his debts,he is a close friend and he needed help,i don't see why would he lie about something like this,that's why he told me and asked me to post this thread here,as he was worried about his citizenship application when he came across an article regarding citizenship and debts..
about the late payments,i think its better that my friend make the late payments regardless of his bad credit history,it will show at least that he is trying to pay his debt as little as it is,its not like he is owing thousands of pounds, and as u said in your post,debt shouldn't and wouldn't be a reason for refusal unless the applicant is unwilling to pay it off..so lets hope everything is going to be fine for him.
thanks for the thought though.. ;-)
UK------++++-------****

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:05 pm

hi guys,just an update,still nothing from the citizenship section,no letters of asking more documents or refusal or approval,nothing since my friend posted his application the 22/03/2013,he had the fees taken from my account the 30 of march and the acknowledgement received the 6 th of april..and since then my friend is still waiting,i'm saying this because so many applied in april and even may and they got the approval already..!!

As for the debts my friend contacted citizen advice bureau to sort out the debt and he should be starting paying as from tomorrow,so i don't know..anyone have any comment to share about the latest news..??

I was wondering if by bad luck he gets a refusal lets say by the end of the week,does my friend have a chance of sending a request of reconsideration and pay the £80 fee and see if they would overturn the decision ,i'm asking because some members here were saying that debt shouldn't be a reason for refusal,but as my friend was doing his best to pay off the bills and all and knowing that he is getting job seekers allowances ,he is really limited to pay off the debt and hence why he had trouble to pay them,so as he started proceedings from last week to pay as little as he can,at least he is showing willingness to pay it,so do u think that if they refuse him can he still get a shot at showing them that he was willing to pay and was doing so by adding the paper work from the CAB and the bank statement showing off the payments??
please advice and let me know what do u think??what is the most likely thing to happen,or what is the outcome we should expect??
thanks in advance..
Last edited by ukforever on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK------++++-------****

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:16 pm

@D4109125,
i'm most interested at what u think is likely to happen as per what i just explained,u seem to know much about the whole subject and your insight would be really,really helpful to my friend's case,he is just worried and i just want to reassure him..
u seem to have experience and knowledgeable regarding citizenship and nationality law,so please dive in ;-)
thanks in advance to everybody who contributed to the thread,you are welcome to comment if u have any advice to share.
UK------++++-------****

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:58 pm

ukforever wrote:@D4109125,
i'm most interested at what u think is likely to happen as per what i just explained,u seem to know much about the whole subject and your insight would be really,really helpful to my friend's case,he is just worried and i just want to reassure him..
u seem to have experience and knowledgeable regarding citizenship and nationality law,so please dive in ;-)
thanks in advance to everybody who contributed to the thread,you are welcome to comment if u have any advice to share.
I would be surprised if he was refused. If the HO did decide he did not meet the Good Character requirements due to an intention of not paying debts, I am sure that the evidence of him now paying the debts would be in his favour for a successful reconsideration.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Does it even make a difference now what will happen?

The application has been made, and the outcome will be known soon.

Any "knowledgeable" people's input from is not going to make any difference now, is it.

What could happen? Only two things could happen, approval or refusal.

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I think whats required in your case is http://www.samaritans.org/

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:
Does it even make a difference now what will happen?

The application has been made, and the outcome will be known soon.

Any "knowledgeable" people's input from is not going to make any difference now, is it.

What could happen? Only two things could happen, approval or refusal.
i'm not denying or refuting the outcome as i know what it will be,refusal or approval ,but as some people in here have knowledge and experience , they know what the outcome in the circumstances i just explained above are more likely to be..not everyone has same circumstances and my friend's circumstances don't apply on others,and i was just asking in case the above would happen what is the chances of succeeding if reconsidering the initial refusal..,

I don't see why u see it as irrelevant,i don't see why it doesn't make sense to u,i don't think this thread is relevant to u in any way and i don't see why it should make a difference/sense to u..!! as i wasn't sure of what to say to my friend and to be honest i value the input of everyone who wants to contribute positively to the thread and not saying what u were saying negatively..and i'm not looking for knowledgeable people here to change the possible outcome rather than knowing the possible scenario of wjhat would happened on the circumstances i just explained above..

be positive mate,being negative is not going to make u more objective when commenting on people's threads,because i can tell u right now,if u are here just to leave more comments with the same lines,please don't..we come here to seek objective and straight answers regarding the question asked..not saying what u said the way u said it is the way to go i'm afraid.
Last edited by ukforever on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK------++++-------****

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Ayyubi72 wrote:I think whats required in your case is http://www.samaritans.org/
you are joking right???don't be silly please as if i wanted this i know where to go..please stop posting stupid stuff..u are just taking a piss.
UK------++++-------****

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:25 pm

@D4109125

thanks a lot for the objective comments,u are really helping people here and i wish u keep up the good work and i thank the rest of the members who are here to help and i value their opinion and thank them for everything they contributed in this thread..
if someone is here just to not to help,please don't bother as its clearly upsetting ,if u don't have anything constructive to the thread, please don't post anything,i don't see why people post rubbish..its clearly not helping.
UK------++++-------****

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:55 pm

@ukforever

Bloody hell. Calm down. You seem to get worked up and defensive really quickly. I've even seen it in other threads. You need to chill out man. Why are you so worried over your 'friend's application anyway? Let him worry about it. Unless it's not really for your friend... :wink: