ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA3 - CSI/EHIC question

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anaotchan
Newly Registered

EEA3 - CSI/EHIC question

Post by anaotchan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi,

I've browsed through the threads but couldn't find the answer to my specific question.

I will soon be applying for an EEA4 [edit: EEA3] and need to prove CSI for my UK students years, sep 2008-sep 2010 (I was employed in the UK after that).

I do not have an EHIC for the period, but I *do* have a letter from French social security saying that I was paying into the French system and was covered by French SS over the whole the period.

Will they accept the letter, once it's properly translated and everything? Or do they really only accept the EHIC? (which as far as I understand proves the exact same thing!)

Thank you :-)
Last edited by anaotchan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:54 pm

Are you the EEA national?

If so, then the EEA3 NOT the EEA4 form is the applicable one to fill out.

What does French SS provide? The UKBA would need to see that you either had CSI in the UK covering your years of study or the equivalent (state or private) covering the same period from France.

anaotchan
Newly Registered

Post by anaotchan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Plum70 wrote:Are you the EEA national?

If so, then the EEA3 NOT the EEA4 form is the applicable one to fill out.

What does French SS provide? The UKBA would need to see that you either had CSI in the UK covering your years of study or the equivalent (state or private) covering the same period from France.
Oh yes. I'm French, so EEA3. Thanks! (will update the title)

French SS is equivalent to the NHS, covers just as many things if not more.

I can definitely show that I was covered by French SS during my years of study in the UK.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:00 pm

anaotchan wrote:French SS is equivalent to the NHS, covers just as many things if not more.

I can definitely show that I was covered by French SS during my years of study in the UK.
Then you are sorted. If you can get a letter or statement from the French SS (translated in English if necessary) stating the extent of your health cover (i.e that it also covers you while in the UK), even better.

anaotchan
Newly Registered

Post by anaotchan » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:00 pm

Plum70 wrote:Then you are sorted. If you can get a letter or statement from the French SS (translated in English if necessary) stating the extent of your health cover (i.e that it also covers you while in the UK), even better.
yay! thanks :-)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:40 pm

You should explicitly point out the equivalence in a cover letter to your application

anaotchan
Newly Registered

Post by anaotchan » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You should explicitly point out the equivalence in a cover letter to your application
sound advice - in fact I will ask French SS to point it out themselves in their letter.

alin2600
Newly Registered

CSI

Post by alin2600 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:34 pm

anaotchan wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:You should explicitly point out the equivalence in a cover letter to your application
sound advice - in fact I will ask French SS to point it out themselves in their letter.
Hi - I was just wondering if this letter worked as I am in a similar situation to you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks so much!

anaotchan
Newly Registered

Re: CSI

Post by anaotchan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:51 pm

alin2600 wrote:
anaotchan wrote:
Hi - I was just wondering if this letter worked as I am in a similar situation to you. Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks so much!
yes, it worked!

as it turned out, the SS letter I received was a standard statement of coverage for the period, they completely ignored my request to have them confirm it was equivalent to the EHIC. But it worked, the UKBA accepted it - for two different applications, too.

good luck!

(ETA I did ask the translators to be very clear the letters confirmed health insurance for the period, as it wasn't obvious from the admin-speak used in the SS letter. And I also stated clearly in my letter to UKBA that it was equivalent to the EHIC.)

alin2600
Newly Registered

Re: EEA3 - CSI/EHIC question

Post by alin2600 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:57 pm

That's amazing - thanks for the speedy reply!

I guess I will just have to contact the NHS in my home country to get a similar letter. What a pointless requirement since any EU citizen can get this type of letter from their local health service. It just adds unecessary complication to this application.

Just out of interest - did you apply for British Citizenship after receiving the PR status? Was everything ok with that?

anaotchan
Newly Registered

Post by anaotchan » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:25 pm

hi, you're welcome - I didn't apply for British citizenship. I wanted the PR certificate so that my daughter would be born British. It turned out to be a little complicated, though. My 5 years came due on September 1st, and my daughter was born on October 19. But by the time I applied my PR certificate was dated October 23rd (!), so I couldn't use it to prove her right to citizenship, I had to send all the documentation again (including the SS certificate) to prove that my PR status had in fact started before her birth. It all went without a hitch, received her passport in about 2 weeks.

Unfortunately I don't think all EU citizens actually can fulfil the health insurance requirement; the only reason I was still covered by French SS during my student years in the UK is that I still had a French salary (complicated story), and therefore was still paying into the French system. Otherwise, I would have had to wait two more years for my PR...

askmeplz82
Diamond Member

Post by askmeplz82 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:09 pm

have you registered as student in the UK by sending EEA1 application form? . if yes then you don't need CSI or EHIC anyway before june 2011 if you were student
UK Student Visa : 04/2004 - 09/2009
EEA Residence Card : 07/2010 - 7/2015
EU Settled Status: Confirmed on 16th July 2019
Naturalisation : Confirmed on 02nd Oct 2020
Passport Approval : 21st Feb 2021

alin2600
Newly Registered

Post by alin2600 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 pm

@anaotchan - thanks for all the information. glad that you managed to get the passport for your daughter in the end.

@askmeplz82 - I'm EU so I had to register using the BR1 form in 2007. However I was a student after June 2011 until September 2012 - so not sure what to do?