ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expereince Indian Passport Re issue in London - UK

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hsharma18
Newly Registered

Expereince Indian Passport Re issue in London - UK

Post by hsharma18 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:50 am

I had heard many bad reviews about Indian Passport renewal service in Indian High Commission London.
Also bad reviews about sending the passport by post.
So for my passport renewal ( re issue) I decided to go personally to HCI London.

Service opted:

I choose only to get my passport re issue. Remember "RE ISSUE" is the word used if your passport has expired and you want a new valid passport. RENEWAL is used if your passport is lost of damaged.

# If you want to change your address ( indian) also , you need proof of address and also there will be verification done. There has to be someone at the address who can answer when someone comes for verification. This so I choose not to change my address and keep the old one. As there will be no verification if you choose to keep your old address

# Spouse name : if you want to add your spouse name in the passport, you need the documents they have asked
http://www.hcilondon.in/passport.html

while submitting the form, if you have kept the SPOUSE column blank, they will ask if you are married or not. If you say yes, then tehy will not accept the form untill you submit the required documents mentioned on the site for adding the spouse name
As per them , if you say you are married, then you HAVE to get the spouse name added. No other option. I don't have my marrieage certificate with me in UK, so I said I am not married and they put NA in the column and accepted the form

I submitted the following

1. Application form completely filled in and signed.

2. 4 (four) Passport size (35 mm x 45 mm) identical photographs

3. copy of passport. Front and back page. self signed

4. Copy of my residence permit ( VISA). self signed

Also you need to show them the original VISA

Going there :

1. Address : Passport Section, High Commission of India, India House, Aldwych, London WC2B 4NA

3. Reached there at 7:15 AM. There were 3 long queue Make sure you stand in a correct queue.
One queue is for Passport services.
One is for OCI submission
One is for OCI collection

Most people were for OCI submission

Ask the people about the queues.

4. I stood in the wrong queue. At 8:00 AM a HCI staff came and checked with everyone what service we required and then guided to us to the correct queue

My experience: Left most queue was for passport

5. Door opened at 8:30 AM. At the door they give you the Token. Based on what service you need.

6. After going inside, you have to wait until 9:15 i.e. when counters open. There are many LCD's where the token number and counter number is displayed.
For Passport counter number is 2 & 3

My number was 18 and it took less than 40 minutes.
I submitted my form and was out by 10:00

Was asked to collect the passport after 6 days between 4 to 5. PM ( as I didnt gave them the return postage envelop)

I went at 4:30 PM. A long queus outside was for OCI collection. For passport collection u can directly go inside the building

Submit the receipt at counter 3. got the passport in 10 minutes

Points to note ;

People say that it is a Fish Market, unorganised etc.

- The problem is opening timings are - 9:00 to 1:00 but people start queuing at 6:00. SO when the door opens at 8:30, there is a huge crowd.
They have more than 100-150 seats but they get filled very quickly
- We Indian don't have patience, everyone tends to stand near the counter even when we know that our number is not going to come in next 30 minutes. That causes the chaos.

I would say Staff there is very helpful.

Don't expect British Courtesy, You are going to Indian Embassy even if it is in London. Indian are not taught that in there work place or at home.

Overall service was very good.
Last edited by hsharma18 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:05 pm

Agree with OP about staff and crowds. I would say unless its absolutely essential or you have been asked specifically to do so, try not to bring young children or people who have difficulties in walking/standing. Due to limited space, there are instances where you don't get a place to sit or people push in order to get around/reach the counter, which could cause injury (I just hope it never happens)

rrp

Post by rrp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Just wanted to share my experiance in case it helps any one.
Recently I renewed my passport at High comminion of India - London. I submitted the application personally and got my new passport in 7 working days. Also I changed the address in my passport and put my permanenet India address. For this address change no verification is made and only thing required is to provide an address proof.

shriya
Newly Registered

passport processing times

Post by shriya » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:34 pm

do we need to apply in tatkal to get the passport in 7 days or can one apply in non tatkal and it still comes in a week. I checked the website nothing is mentioned and when contacted the high commission via email, they said it would take 4-6 weeks when you go in person.
Hoping to get a reply soon :)
thanks in advance

rrp

Post by rrp » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:41 pm

If you apply in person and collect in person then you will get the new passport withing 7 working days. Normally when you apply for passport they will give you a collection date. But if you want the passport to be delivered to your home adress by post then it will take 4-6 weeks. This is my experiance with the Embasy. Don't think there is a tatkal for passport renewal.

shriya
Newly Registered

Post by shriya » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 pm

rrp wrote:If you apply in person and collect in person then you will get the new passport withing 7 working days. Normally when you apply for passport they will give you a collection date. But if you want the passport to be delivered to your home adress by post then it will take 4-6 weeks. This is my experiance with the Embasy. Don't think there is a tatkal for passport renewal.
thanks a ton for the reply. will be visiting the embassy soon

SohaibTahseen
Newly Registered

Re: Expereince Indian Passport Re issue in London - UK

Post by SohaibTahseen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Hi there, need some urgent help please.

I have Indian passport and my magnetic bar-code on the front photographic page ink has blurred the contents(i.e. P<IND<<Name<Surname<<<<<<<<<).

I have recently tried to apply for an Umrah visa and the agent said that the passport will not scan properly and asked me to change the passport. and I have booked all my flights and hotels for the trip and don't want to incur loss.

What I would like to know is that:
- if I go to London high commission can they replace my current passport quickly?
- Do I have to take appointment or can I just go to the consulate and stand in the queue? PS I am will be travelling from Aberdeen, Scotland.

Please, I will appreciate an answer which will help me out.

Thanks