ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling on Indian Passport after oath..?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Raj422

Travelling on Indian Passport after oath..?

Post by Raj422 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:00 am

Hi everybody,

I have my ceremony tomorrow...BIG thanks to this forum..

I am intending to apply for my British Passport tomorrow itself.

I might have to travel to India in July/August..

Can I travel on Indian passport ( with ILR )...I might get my British Passport by that time but won't have time to get OCI..

Please suggest..

Regards & Thanks..

push

Re: Travelling on Indian Passport after oath..?

Post by push » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 am

Raj422 wrote:Hi everybody,

I have my ceremony tomorrow...BIG thanks to this forum..

I am intending to apply for my British Passport tomorrow itself.

I might have to travel to India in July/August..

Can I travel on Indian passport ( with ILR )...I might get my British Passport by that time but won't have time to get OCI..

Please suggest..

Regards & Thanks..
From Indian immigration perspective, you can travel on an Indian passport for 3 months after you have acquired British Citizenship without paying any penalty:
HCI London wrote:The Indian Citizenship Act, 1955, does not allow dual citizenship. Holding Indian passport/acquiring Indian passport/travelling on Indian passport after acquisition of foreign citizenship constitutes an offence under the Indian Passport Act, 1967, and attracts penalties. The Government of India has prescribed imposition of penalty on a graded scale for the violation of Passport Rules, depending on number of trips made on Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality (with a three month grace period from the date of acquiring foreign nationality i.e. the date of Naturalisation certificate), renewal of Indian passport after acquiring foreign nationality and retention of Indian Passport for more than 3 years after acquiring of foreign nationality. The date on the Naturalisation Certificate will be treated as date of acquiring foreign nationality and hence, it is mandatory for the applicants to produce his / her Naturalisation Certificate for obtaining Surrender Certificate.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

Raj422

Post by Raj422 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks for your prompt reply...

Really appreciated..

Raj422

Post by Raj422 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 am

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply.

My son is 7 years old and he got his British passport last year ( after my ILR ).

Can he travel on Indian passport..? or I have to get visa for him..

Regards & Thanks..

srk2012

Post by srk2012 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am

Don't you have to surrender your Indian passport once you get a British passport?

Raj422

Post by Raj422 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 am

srk2012 wrote:Don't you have to surrender your Indian passport once you get a British passport?
I was thinking of surrendering all three passports together..so haven't done yet for my son..

Thanks

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:46 pm

srk2012 wrote:Don't you have to surrender your Indian passport once you get a British passport?
No, you only need to surrender the indian passport if you are planning to apply OCI. The british dont have a problem with dual citizenship so they dont care how many passports you have as long as they are all legal. Its the indian govt who dont support dual citizenship.

1sppandey

Post by 1sppandey » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Raj422 wrote:Hi,

Thanks again for your reply.

My son is 7 years old and he got his British passport last year ( after my ILR ).

Can he travel on Indian passport..? or I have to get visa for him..

Regards & Thanks..
If your son travels on Indian passport, you will have to pay fine when you apply OCI for him. Best to get indian visa for him.

Raj422

Post by Raj422 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 am

Thanks for your prompt reply..

Was checking now..Visa fee itself is around £100 and then hassle of getting the visa..

Isn't it worth to travel on India passport ( while going out ) and come back on UK passport...and pay fine later, if have to..?

Moreover I have to first surrender my son's passport before applying for visa.

Please suggest

Thanks...

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:14 am

Raj422 wrote:Thanks for your prompt reply..

Was checking now..Visa fee itself is around £100 and then hassle of getting the visa..

the fine is £145 per travel and there is no hassle in getting an indian visa should you submit proper documentation.

Isn't it worth to travel on India passport ( while going out ) and come back on UK passport...and pay fine later, if have to..?

that can't be done. you need to apply for an exit permit if a different travel document is used during exit from india. if you choose to do so, effectively you have to surrender citizenship in india, pay the fine, apply for exit permit.
Moreover I have to first surrender my son's passport before applying for visa.

Please suggest

Thanks...

barker

Post by barker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:59 am

Check out the link below

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=123115

I have read elsewhere as well that the Indian Govt is not that strict with minor's passports. So you might not be fined when you do surrender it.