ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partners - Straight to EEA4 and PR?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lmb
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partners - Straight to EEA4 and PR?

Post by lmb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:17 pm

Is it possible for unmarried/durable partners (extended family members) to make their first application on EEA4, to achieve PR - avoiding EEA2 - assuming of course a sufficiently long relationship and cohabitation period has accumulated?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:42 pm

I imagine that this is possible with very strong evidence showing a subsisting and continuous relationship over the 5 year period.

Any reason why a RC was not applied for? I am curious to know how the non-EEA family member (if there is one) has managed to satisfy administrative formalities requiring proof of legitimate UK residence throughout this time.

lmb
Newly Registered

Post by lmb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 pm

It's an indirect way of getting an answer to another question, to which I've had some answers, but nothing absolutely conclusive, and that's:

Unmarried partners must usually show 2 years of cohabitation to be accepted as "family members" and receive an RC. 3 years on, and 5 years on from cohabitation, would unmarried partners automatically obtain PR?

Some say yes, as it's the underlying situation that counts. Most say no, because unmarried members have no rights under EU law until they are recognised with a permit/card. I wonder if it is possible that unmarried partners require the permit/card, for which they must prove themselves, but once recognised, their relationship can be counted back before the permit/card issue date.

I'm asking now whether unmarried partners can skip straight to EEA4 - if yes, then time before any permit/card can be counted; if no, then not.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Instead of asking the same question again and getting some yes, some no and some maybe, you may want to contact the European Cases Policy Team in UKBA to find out their view.

Their email address is EuropeanOperational@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Make sure you construct your query as a general policy one as they can't comment on individual cases. Also make sure the situation is explained clearly and the questions asked are to the point. Generic questions would get generic answers.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Unmarried durable partner, have no automatic right to entry and Residence under the EEA regulation. They can only be issued with a Residence Rights, if in all the circumstance it seems appropriate for the secretary of state to do so.

If (but only if) the Secretary of State exercise the discretion in their favour and issue a Residence Card, will Rights under the EEA Regulation Start to accrue.

Therefore rights to Permanent Residence don't start to accrue until a Succcessful RC application. Although it could be argued, that if an application is successful, then it will be reasonable for one to say that the SOS should count from time the application was made.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

lmb
Newly Registered

Post by lmb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks Obie - so your answer is that unmarried partners can apply on EEA2, but not on EEA4.

Jambo, I'm asking the same question essentially, yes, but differently, because I want people to think differently about what is a fairly grey area. But thank you for your suggestion and the email address - I will certainly write and ask.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: Unmarried Partners - Straight to EEA4 and PR?

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:53 pm

lmb wrote:Is it possible for unmarried/durable partners (extended family members) to make their first application on EEA4, to achieve PR - avoiding EEA2 - assuming of course a sufficiently long relationship and cohabitation period has accumulated?
Did the applicant enter on a family permit perhaps?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:00 pm

In the scenerio envisaged be the OP, she will not qualify for EEA4 even if she entered with an EEA family permit. An extended family member will only be treaty as family member under Regulation 7(3) for as long as the family permit or Residence Card remains valid.

If during the currency of the family permit, an application is made for Residence Card, then the application is dealt with under Regulation 17(1).

However once the Permit expires, the position of the partner, continue to fall under Regulation 8(5).

They cease from accruing rights under Regulation 7(3).
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

lmb
Newly Registered

Post by lmb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:52 pm

In this scenario, the unmarried partner was either here illegally, or under some non-family permit (student or work, say). The question is whether an unmarried partner can be in such a relationship for, say, 10 years, and jump to EEA4 from nothing (or must they get EEA2, and then "serve" 5 years)?

flipper77

Post by flipper77 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Plum70 wrote: I am curious to know how the non-EEA family member (if there is one) has managed to satisfy administrative formalities requiring proof of legitimate UK residence throughout this time.
At the time I applied for my EEA2 (as an unmarried partner), I had been living in the UK for 5.5 years. The first 2 years of this were on a Working Holiday Visa, and then I was fortunate enough that my employer sponsored me. The reason I ended up going for the EEA2, is I didn't want to be tied to my employment any more.
EEA2 Application sent: 09/10/2012
Received by UKBA: 10/10/2012
COA received: 19/10/2012 (dated 17/10/2012)
Passports requested: 14/11/12, 28/11/12 & 12/12/12 (email) and 11/12/12 (mail)
Passports received: 17/12/2012
RC received: 14/02/2013

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:18 pm

lmb wrote:Jambo, I'm asking the same question essentially, yes, but differently, because I want people to think differently about what is a fairly grey area. But thank you for your suggestion and the email address - I will certainly write and ask.
Did you write to them? Did they respond?

lmb
Newly Registered

Post by lmb » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes, long reply - simple answer is no, extended family cannot leapfrog EEA2.

I consider this weighty but not conclusive. This area of EU/UK convergence is particularly grey. Of course, it's from the Home Office, so practically speaking, until the point of appeal, it's an important answer.