ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Govt to publish details of new Immigration Bill

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Static

Govt to publish details of new Immigration Bill

Post by Static » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:18 pm

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp= ... B&rss=rss1

The Government is publishing the details of its new Immigration Bill, which will apply to foreign nationals from outside the EU.

Among its measures is the creation of a credit-card style residence permit, containing biometric information on the holder.

All foreign nationals from outside the EU will be required to hold the permit in order to remain in the State or to access social services, except in the case of an emergency.

Also included is a long-term permit which will give residency immigrants rights similar to those held by Irish citizens.

Static

Post by Static » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Anybody else heard anything to do with immigration and the court case??

studyireland
Newly Registered

Post by studyireland » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:40 pm

This was anticipated ..... but what will happen if Britain makes changes later in the year as also anticipated?

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:01 pm

A new update on that...

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/story.a ... 8757382&x=
McDowell's Immigration Bill a 'political stunt', says ICCL :: latest

The publication of the Immigration, Residence and Protection Bill 2007 is "a political stunt", the Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) said today.

Speaking shortly after the Bill was published by the Tánaiste Michael McDowell, the ICCL’s Director, Mr Mark Kelly said: "This draft Bill stands no chance of becoming law before the General Election, and may never re-surface afterwards.

here's the link to the bill

http://www.justice.ie/80256E010039C5AF/ ... Q6TDHYZ-en

microlab

Post by microlab » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:48 pm

archigabe wrote:A new update on that...

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/story.a ... 8757382&x=
McDowell's Immigration Bill a 'political stunt', says ICCL :: latest

The publication of the Immigration, Residence and Protection Bill 2007 is "a political stunt", the Irish Council for Civil Liberties (ICCL) said today.

Speaking shortly after the Bill was published by the Tánaiste Michael McDowell, the ICCL’s Director, Mr Mark Kelly said: "This draft Bill stands no chance of becoming law before the General Election, and may never re-surface afterwards.

here's the link to the bill

http://www.justice.ie/80256E010039C5AF/ ... Q6TDHYZ-en

PIE IN THE SKY ?!

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:49 pm

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/breaki ... king30.htm

Most worryingly is the requirement of immigrants to prove their identity or be detained. This is problematic because it does not apply to Irish citizens i.e. if your skin colour is slightly darker then it is likely you will be routinely profiled... whether you are an EU/Irish citizen or not.

studyireland
Newly Registered

Post by studyireland » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:15 pm

People in countries with ID cards just take it for granted. I don´t know if it is a tool for discrimination.

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:08 pm

Last edited by Plaasjapie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Carrying an ID is not a problem. Being routinely stopped and asked for ID because you are non-white is a problem. Its happening in France, Netherlands and Germany- not a good way to integrate immigrants...

I believe they will introduce ID cards for Irish citizens in the near future but no politician dare mention this because it would be political suicide. On the flip side they score cheap political points by requiring immigrants to always carry ID as apposed to the whole population.

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:45 am

Static

Post by Static » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:35 am

Whahahaa! Plaasjapie, I completely agree with you. It is probably just nonsense anyhow.. politicians promise all sorts of things before the elections. I am used to having to produce ID all the time in SA. You can't get a phone put on without ID nor DSTV or anything else for that matter. Here.. even your electricity, you just ring them and give details over the phone. I am quite shocked with how easy it is. Carrying an ID is not an issue for me at all. Looking foreign is something normal for me. I look Italian and have always had a funny English accent (Scottish/Italian family) so even in SA I was asked where I'm from all the time.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:37 pm

Strictly speaking your South African ID document should contain your most recent address in the back pocket and if you move you should inform the dept of Home Affairs.

Anyway seems like everyone is missing the point here. You should either introduce the requirement to carry ID at all times for everyone or for no one. The dept of justice is attempting to force foreigners to carry biometric ID's whilst Irish citizens dont need to have any ID. It will be unworkable in my opinion.

Im completely in favour of IDs for everyone! facial profiling indeed has a place in investigations however it should be done in a responsible way i.e. not giving native born British citizens the incentive to blow themselves up! Anyone who thinks about this will realise that it will be extremely negative for integration, something which has to be figured out or else we will all live in much less secure world.

Plaasjapie

Post by Plaasjapie » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:43 pm

Static

Post by Static » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:11 pm

Plaasjapie wrote:I am leaving this topic...
I agree... :shock: