ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gap Between British Citizenship and Ceremony - Technical Q

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ak36

Post by ak36 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:33 pm

Dear friends,

I have come across a situation where I really need some help from my seniors colleagues on this forum or from those who might have experienced the same scenario.

I am applying for my British Citizenship in August 2013 via NCS. I am then travelling abroad for a good four weeks exactly two months after my application in October. I know that most of the straightforward applications are decided within two months and I think my application falls in the same category however, quite understandably there is no certain deadline for an application to the Home Office. So if it takes more than two months and I receive an approval letter from the HO while I am away from the country then legally, how much time would I have to book my ceremony?

I am slightly worried about my four weeks absence here. For example, if my case is not decided during my time here and they send me an approval letter immediately after my departure then will it still be possible to book my ceremony when I come back in four weeks time??

Kind regards,
ak36

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 pm

if you receive an approval-cum-invitation letter, then 21 days from the date of the letter
if you first receive an approval letter followed by a separate invitation letter, then again 21 days from the invitation letter.

jkmuk
Newly Registered

Post by jkmuk » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:17 pm

I believe the ceremony must be booked within 90 days of the Approval

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:24 pm

nope, you need to attend the ceremony within 90 days but need to book appointment within 21 days.

ak36

Post by ak36 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks ban.s and jkmuk for your reply.

Can we please get clarity on the timescale for booking ceremony after receiving an invitation letter. Is it 90 or 21 days???

Thanks,
ak36

mk357
Member of Standing

Post by mk357 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:50 pm

ban.s wrote:nope, you need to attend the ceremony within 90 days but need to book appointment within 21 days.
ban.s is correct.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:18 pm

though the invitation letter mentions 21 days but i am not sure how / if this is enforced. in my view if one exceeds 21 days recommended limit in booking the appointment it should probably be fine as long as the person attends the ceremony within 90 days from approval.

in OP's case it's only absence of 4 weeks so should be fine.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 pm

ban.s wrote:though the invitation letter mentions 21 days but i am not sure how / if this is enforced. in my view if one exceeds 21 days recommended limit in booking the appointment it should probably be fine as long as the person attends the ceremony within 90 days from approval.
I concur. The 90 days is the important one to meet.

ak36

Post by ak36 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks all.

I think we are all converging into one point now and that is the Ceremony must be attended within 90 days which is quite in line with what the Home Office has said in the GUIDE AN documents on page 21.

"You must make immediate contact with the local authority, as you only have 90 days in which to attend the ceremony. The date by which you must attend your ceremony will be given in your Home Office citizenship ceremony invitation letter. If you do not attend the ceremony within 90 days without good reason, your application for citizenship will be refused and you will need to re-apply."

It does not say anything about the 21 days timeline, though I am not sure if such a thing can appear in the invitation letter but as ban.s has mentioned, it will have no bearing on the whole process if you don't book the ceremony in 21 days as long as you attend a ceremony in 90 days.

Regards,
ak36