ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Experts- Please provide information on the above, as the information I have given is based on what I read from the HCI Site, may be any one who did it can share their experience

Showy

Post by Showy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:42 pm

I appllied with my parents but of course not being a minor I applied using a separate application, I felt this was a better option as if there are any discrepencies with either application then they can be dealt with separately rather than holding both applications up, and as you will see from previous comments there are many roadblocks that could cause a hold up during this process...

All the best

kamal.gulati
Newly Registered

Post by kamal.gulati » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi

I am also waiting for my OCI card and my process has just started because acknowledgement was done on 13th June.

I need the OCI in one month. Hence, needed to below more info:

-Applied via London. How much time normally it takes after acknowledgement.
-My application show underproces on. Will it show more detail later as the time progresses.
-I think if it stays on Under Process on until 10 July then I would need to go for Indian short term visa as may need to go to India Urgently.

Please help.

May be snapshot of anyone status from OCI website will help. So, I should see what to expect?

Thanks
Kamal Gulati

vmat
Newly Registered

Post by vmat » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 pm

No chance Kamal. Better to get a visa

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:32 pm

ang3l.in.paradise wrote:Does anybody have a different view on this? Do we agree that one cannot process the OCI for their son if the son is not a minor?
you need to submit your own application separate from your son. your son can include grandson's details in his application.

there is no material difference to the process as such than completing the forms twice.

insomniac

Post by insomniac » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi there,

When I went to apply for my OCI (late May at HCI London) there was an announcement made that second-person applications would not be accepted. This was after the long morning queue and everyone was admitted inside the waiting room. So quite a few people wasted 2-3 hours for nothing.

So I would err on the side of caution. You should apply for yourself, and your son should apply for himself and your grandson.

I must say that the HCI staff were quite particular about this, going so far to mention that even "aged", "old" and "disabled" people had to appear in person. If they were unable to appear, then those applications must be made by post.

Hope this helps.

kamal.gulati
Newly Registered

Post by kamal.gulati » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:29 am

But after acknowledgement it takes approx 30 days to get OCI. So, until 15 june it should arrive. Is n't it?
vmat wrote:No chance Kamal. Better to get a visa

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:34 am

kamal.gulati wrote:But after acknowledgement it takes approx 30 days to get OCI. So, until 15 june it should arrive. Is n't it?
approx 30 working days. if submitted in person at london HCI and assuming no issue with photo or documentation, then around 3-4 weeks for approval/printing and then 1-2 weeks for documents to reach london and available for collection.

postal or submission at other missions may take longer.

kamal.gulati
Newly Registered

Post by kamal.gulati » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks Bans for your reply.

Yes, it looks after acknowledgement it takes 4-5 weeks overall. Hopefully, mine will be done by 15 July/20 July. So, I don't need to apply for Visa as needed to travel last week of July

Thanks
Kamal
ban.s wrote:
kamal.gulati wrote:But after acknowledgement it takes approx 30 days to get OCI. So, until 15 june it should arrive. Is n't it?
approx 30 working days. if submitted in person at london HCI and assuming no issue with photo or documentation, then around 3-4 weeks for approval/printing and then 1-2 weeks for documents to reach london and available for collection.

postal or submission at other missions may take longer.

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:18 am

When I submitted my form in the HCI counter, they told me check online status after 6 weeks

Even HCI site also mentions it takes 6 weeks

ibadat
Newly Registered

Appllying for OCI

Post by ibadat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 am

Hi
I am applying for OCI on behalf of my Parents who are UK Citizens.

I have been supplied with the following documents:

DAD: Indian Birth Certificate and Naturalisation Certificate (Cant find his Indian Passport)

MUM: Indian Passport and naturalisation Certificate (Cant find her Surrender Certificate - Seems like her passport was surrendered as it has a cut in the corner )

We have filled the application form Online and were planning to go down to the Birmingham Embassy to apply for OCI.

Please can you advise if these documents are enough for my parents to be granted OCI

(Is an Indian Birth Certificate sufficient if no Indian Passport is available)

(f anyone has got a Passport that was cut but no surrender cert was supplied (back in 1990) - do u still need a surrender cert

Thanks for your help

ang3l.in.paradise

Post by ang3l.in.paradise » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 pm

The indian Website http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/news.html states that ''Persons of Indian Origin, intending to apply for OCI/PIO Cards, should surrender their Indian passports and then apply for these services. In case they do not have the Indian passports in their possession for any reason (loss/misplacement/submission to Home Office long time back, etc.), they are required to furnish duly notarised affidavit in this regard. If the Indian passport is still valid but has been misplaced / lost, then Police report should be submitted additionally (to rule out any misuse).''

So a surrender certficate is required if the person had held an indian passport in the past. Other wise a notarised affidavit needs to be produced.

ibadat
Newly Registered

Applying for OCI

Post by ibadat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for your reply. That saves me a trip to Birmingham.

Please can you also advise who can notarise. Does it have to be someone from India?

insomniac

Post by insomniac » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 am

My timelines:

Submitted in person at HCI London: 17-May-2013
Processed and printed in Delhi: 12-Jun-2013
Received at HCI London: 17-Jun-2013

Hope this helps.

eashkuma4
India

OCI

Post by eashkuma4 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:51 am

Thank you for sharing your time line, could you please let us know was that all the time "UNder process" until 12 June and suddenly changed to Printed?

ibadat
Newly Registered

Post by ibadat » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:51 am

Relating to Notarised Affidivat

Please can you also advise who can notarise. Does it have to be someone from India or can someone (solicitor) from the United Kingdom also do it

Thanks for your help

ban.s

Re: OCI

Post by ban.s » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:57 am

eashkuma4 wrote:Thank you for sharing your time line, could you please let us know was that all the time "UNder process" until 12 June and suddenly changed to Printed?
yes, in the new online system the 'document printing status' will remain 'under process' from the date the submission/acknowledgement then change directly to 'processed' in approx 3-4 weeks. no intermediate status update will be given.

kamal.gulati
Newly Registered

Re: OCI

Post by kamal.gulati » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:15 am

OCI Status check site is down? Not working since yesterday
ban.s wrote:
eashkuma4 wrote:Thank you for sharing your time line, could you please let us know was that all the time "UNder process" until 12 June and suddenly changed to Printed?
yes, in the new online system the 'document printing status' will remain 'under process' from the date the submission/acknowledgement then change directly to 'processed' in approx 3-4 weeks. no intermediate status update will be given.

smatt

OCI - Postal

Post by smatt » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:43 am

Dear Memebers/Friends,

Please find my timeline below:

Applied by Post - 27/3/2013
Acknowledged on 23/5/2013
My Orginal Documents received on 25/5/2013
Documents printed on 14/6/2013
Dispatched from Delhi 19/6/2013
Received at London 24/6/2013
Collected at London on 26/6/2013

My Major journey is over from HSMP to OCI, will be back for any Misc.OCI.

Once again thank you very much for your help.

Kind Regards,
smatt

nnn
Newly Registered

Getting close!

Post by nnn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:21 pm

Applicant Name: X
File Acknowledgment Number XXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment 29-MAY-2013
Registration Status at Mission LONDON
OCI- Number XXXX
Documents Printing Status PROCESSED On 28-JUN-2013
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ) NEW DELHI On
Document received At LONDON On

Showy

Post by Showy » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi

I hope someone can help with this,

OCI status for myself and parents had stated that the OCI has been grated and returned to Birmingham, as I was busy and could not go to the CGI in person I posted out passports, status pages, original receipts and also a Special Delivery Envelope for the return of the passports. It has now been around 10 days but no news, I keep on checking Royal mail tracking (noted down the return tracking number) but that just says 'Something wrong with the number....' so I'm assuming they have not posted it yet..

Can anyone advise as to how long it should take for the return of the passports??

Appreciated.

chunkybeefsoup

Post by chunkybeefsoup » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:15 pm

On the website it says it can take 7 working days not including the time taken to actually mail the documents.

chunkybeefsoup

Post by chunkybeefsoup » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:19 pm

Had a look at a notice pinned up in the Birmingham Consulate today and it stated it can take ten working days for the OCI and passport to arrive.

Showy

OCI passports

Post by Showy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:47 am

Thanx for the info ChunkyBeefSoup

I will stop worrying till end of the week then...I have sent an e-mail to all the e-mail addresses I could track down at the CGI...but of course responses are rare... :(

I assume you are all sorted now...

kamal.gulati
Newly Registered

Re: OCI passports

Post by kamal.gulati » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:12 am

Anyone whose OCI Application acknowledge in between 1st June and 13th June.

Are you seeing any progress?

I am bit worried for mine as it was acknowledged on 13th June but not progressed yet and I have to visit India in last week of July :(

Any information will help.

Thanks
Kamal
Showy wrote:Thanx for the info ChunkyBeefSoup

I will stop worrying till end of the week then...I have sent an e-mail to all the e-mail addresses I could track down at the CGI...but of course responses are rare... :(

I assume you are all sorted now...