ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TG1212
Newly Registered

Re: Surrendered passport at Manchester VFS in person

Post by TG1212 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:12 pm

shabanaimrank wrote:Hi,

I Surrendered passport at Manchester VFS in person couple of weeks back but have not received any thing back from them apart from a message they sent last week which read my application is currently being processed. Is there any way I can know the progress of the application?

Thanks
I called the VFS center for my application and they told me that processing time for applications submitted from Manchester is 4 weeks.

imranb

Re: Surrender Time Lines

Post by imranb » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:58 am

Ctzn2013 wrote:My timelines at VFS (Goswell Road, London):
Submitted Passports in person on: 21/May
Status updated on web-site: 24/May
Revoked Passports and Surrender certificate collected: 24/May

Very pleased with efficient service. I walked in without any appointment and didn't have to wait more than 10-15 minutes. Passport collection process was also smooth and straightforward. Good luck, everyone.
I am planning to go to the Birmingham VFS tomorrow for submitting my application for surrendering of Indian Passports. Does anyone know if they also give the option of collecting the surrender certificates and cancelled passports personally? Just want to be sure before I go, don't want to be stuck in a position where they say why didn't you get your self addressed envelope...

mehp
Newly Registered

Post by mehp » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 am

Hi imranb
I Think default is that you will collect passports. As when I submitted last month in Birmingham along with SD envelopes , the lady at the counter asked me if I wanted it to be delivered at home and I wont be collecting it.

mehp
Newly Registered

Re: Surrendered passport at Manchester VFS in person

Post by mehp » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:05 am

Hi,
Any update on your Surrender passport application? I have submitted on 30-MAY at birmingham centre, still no updates since first SMS.

-
Mehp

TG1212 wrote:
shabanaimrank wrote:Hi,

I Surrendered passport at Manchester VFS in person couple of weeks back but have not received any thing back from them apart from a message they sent last week which read my application is currently being processed. Is there any way I can know the progress of the application?

Thanks
I called the VFS center for my application and they told me that processing time for applications submitted from Manchester is 4 weeks.

lovelyhasu
Newly Registered

child travelling on Indian & British passport

Post by lovelyhasu » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:41 am

My son was born in UK and holds Indian passport now we have applied for Naturalisation through MN1 and planning for BP later.
We are planning to go to India in September.
So question is can he travel on his Indian passport? And return on British passport? (He does not have any UK visa as we never travelled after he was born)
…I understand that he can surrender his Indian passport and get visitor VISA for 5 years but what I was thinking that if surrender process takes longer then we will be stuck. I am expecting he should get British passport by Mid-august.
Would appreciate help from you well informed people!
Regards,

cybekpmc
Newly Registered

Indian Passsport Surrender - In person

Post by cybekpmc » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:11 am

Quick question -

I am planning to surrender my family's indian passport in person at the Goswell Road VFS center.

Can someone confirm if my wife and two kids (5 and 3) also needs to be present in person while submitting the passport and at collection ?

Thanks
Vivek

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:30 am

they dont need to be present both at submission and collection.

mehp
Newly Registered

Post by mehp » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:26 am

Application Date : 30/05/2013 (In Person - VFS Birmingham )
VFS sent to HCI : 30/05/2013
HCI Under processing confirmation : 01/06/2013
Surrender Certificate Issue Date: 24/06/2013
Receipt of Surrendered certificate: 29/06/2013

Ctzn2013
Newly Registered

Re: child travelling on Indian & British passport

Post by Ctzn2013 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:23 pm

lovelyhasu wrote:My son was born in UK and holds Indian passport now we have applied for Naturalisation through MN1 and planning for BP later.
We are planning to go to India in September.
So question is can he travel on his Indian passport? And return on British passport? (He does not have any UK visa as we never travelled after he was born)
…I understand that he can surrender his Indian passport and get visitor VISA for 5 years but what I was thinking that if surrender process takes longer then we will be stuck. I am expecting he should get British passport by Mid-august.
Would appreciate help from you well informed people!
Regards,
After obtaining British Citizenship, you can still travel on Indian passport. There is a fine to be paid for every visit on Indian passport (though there is a grace period of 3 months). The rules are on HCI web-site: http://www.hcilondon.in/renunciation.html
However, travelling back on British passport may or may not be possible, you have to check with British high commission in India. How are you planning to receive the British passport after travelling on Indian passport?

TintinHerge

Self-attest

Post by TintinHerge » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Does Self-attest mean that I write on each photocopy page "This is a true copy of the original", sign it and date it?

TintinHerge

Victoria office closed?

Post by TintinHerge » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:49 pm

VfS used to have an office in Wilton Road in Victoria, London. Is this closed now? I can't see it on their website here:
http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/contactus.html

mehp
Newly Registered

Re: Self-attest

Post by mehp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:27 pm

TintinHerge wrote:Does Self-attest mean that I write on each photocopy page "This is a true copy of the original", sign it and date it?
Hi,
Just put signature, date and name.
No need to write its true copy, etc etc...

TintinHerge

Application Status

Post by TintinHerge » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:43 pm

Applied today at Goswell Road, I was told it would be ready to collect in 3 to 5 working days

Submission (@ VFS Goswell Road): 4th July 2013
Text confirming dispatch to HCI: 4th July 2013
Text confirming application under process: 6th July 2013
Text confirming certificate ready for pick-up: 9th July 2013

All done within 3 working days - Very impressed
Last edited by TintinHerge on Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

imranb

Re: Application Status

Post by imranb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:32 pm

TintinHerge wrote:Applied today at Goswell Road

Submission (@ VFS Goswell Road): 04th July 2013
Text confirming dispatch to HCI:
Text confirming application under process:
Text confirming certificate ready for pick-up:
I am still waiting for my application to progress that was submitted on 17th June at Birmingham VFS in person. I am traveling to India on 26th July, and I still have to apply for an Indian Visa as well( only after I get the surrender certificate). Am getting really worried. :cry:

imranb

Re: Application Status

Post by imranb » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:29 am

imranb wrote:
TintinHerge wrote:Applied today at Goswell Road

Submission (@ VFS Goswell Road): 04th July 2013
Text confirming dispatch to HCI:
Text confirming application under process:
Text confirming certificate ready for pick-up:
I am still waiting for my application to progress that was submitted on 17th June at Birmingham VFS in person. I am traveling to India on 26th July, and I still have to apply for an Indian Visa as well( only after I get the surrender certificate). Am getting really worried. :cry:
It's been 3.5 weeks and I am still waiting for my surrender certificate. God bless them!

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:20 am

Application Date : 20/05/2013 (POST - Hayes )
VFS Received On: 21/05/2013
VFS sent to HCI : Never received any sort of updates neither on mobile or online
HCI Under processing confirmation : NO Idea
Surrender Certificate Issue Date: 28/05/2013
Receipt of Surrendered certificate: 31/05/2013

TintinHerge

Post by TintinHerge » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:04 pm

Sorry to hear that, @imranb. I would suggest to anyone that if you are in a hurry, just apply to VFS London

amit13
Newly Registered

oci from within india

Post by amit13 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:58 pm

Dear,
I will be travelling to India for a few months in August. I will just have enough time to apply for my British passport here in UK before I travel.

I am aware that one can travel on an Indian passport for a period up to 90 days from the day the foreign citizenship is acquired. Hence I can enter India as a British national on Indian passport.

So here is my precise question:
If one travels to India immediately after getting the British passport (taking advantage of 3 months grace period to travel on Indian passport) and uses his Indian passport to enter, can he surrender his Indian passport and apply for OCI in India as long as its all done within 3 months?

I guess part of the question also is whether 90 days grace period is allowed only for travel or also for stay in India.

I am sure that OCI can be applied at one of the FRRO offices in India. However not sure if one can also surrender the passport in India, hence the above questions. One obvious answer will be to surrender my passport here in London and then get a visa to travel to India. However I an really pressed for time and would barely have any time left to surrender and apply for the visa after I receives my British passport.

Thanks
amit.balaji13@gmail.com

imranb

Post by imranb » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:00 am

TintinHerge wrote:Sorry to hear that, @imranb. I would suggest to anyone that if you are in a hurry, just apply to VFS London
Thanks Tintin. Unfortunately that option of going to VFS London does not exist as we have to apply as per the jurisdictions they have defined according to the address we live at. So if I live in West Midlands, I cannot apply at London.

Can anyone please help with any suggestions as to how I get the status of my applications. Its almost 4 weeks, and there is no news. Their online status says my application was forwarded to High Comm on 17th June. I have written to VFS a couple of times, but they seem to be helpless. They say they cannot comment on how much time it takes for the high comm to process a surrender application. My tickets to India are booked for 26th July, and there appears to be just no progress :cry:

apply4hsmp

Post by apply4hsmp » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 am

Application Date : 06/07/2013 (POST - Hayes )

VFS Received On: 08/07/2013

VFS sent to HCI : Never received any sort of updates neither on mobile or online

HCI Under processing confirmation : NO Idea

Surrender Certificate Issue Date: 11/07/2013

Receipt of Surrendered certificate: 13/07/2013

Also to add I submitted two applications by post in one envelope and one draft (£117.34 *2)

imranb

Post by imranb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:52 pm

imranb wrote:
TintinHerge wrote:Sorry to hear that, @imranb. I would suggest to anyone that if you are in a hurry, just apply to VFS London
Thanks Tintin. Unfortunately that option of going to VFS London does not exist as we have to apply as per the jurisdictions they have defined according to the address we live at. So if I live in West Midlands, I cannot apply at London.

Can anyone please help with any suggestions as to how I get the status of my applications. Its almost 4 weeks, and there is no news. Their online status says my application was forwarded to High Comm on 17th June. I have written to VFS a couple of times, but they seem to be helpless. They say they cannot comment on how much time it takes for the high comm to process a surrender application. My tickets to India are booked for 26th July, and there appears to be just no progress :cry:
I finally got my surrender certificates. Took 4 weeks. :x

lovekirankumar
Newly Registered

Surrendering Indian passport in India

Post by lovekirankumar » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:08 am

HI,

Could any one tell me how to surrender Indian passport for my one year child after taking British passport in India. I need to apply for exit permit after getting BP but FRRO asking visa in the BP. My In-laws told them there will no visa in the BP as the baby came to India on Indian Passport. But FRRO / Superintendent of Police told we will issue exit permit based on the visa.

1. Can we surrender Indian Passport in India, if so whom I need to contact?
2. Can children apply for PIO card in India. How long it will take to get PIO in India?
Thanks in advance

Kiran

ban.s

Re: Surrendering Indian passport in India

Post by ban.s » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:43 am

lovekirankumar wrote:HI,

Could any one tell me how to surrender Indian passport for my one year child after taking British passport in India. I need to apply for exit permit after getting BP but FRRO asking visa in the BP. My In-laws told them there will no visa in the BP as the baby came to India on Indian Passport. But FRRO / Superintendent of Police told we will issue exit permit based on the visa.

1. Can we surrender Indian Passport in India, if so whom I need to contact?
2. Can children apply for PIO card in India. How long it will take to get PIO in India?
Thanks in advance

Kiran
see your previous post

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#840473

I would suggest, bring the baby back in Uk and then apply for PIO.

awdrys1

Post by awdrys1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:06 pm

Submission (@ VFS Goswell Road): 11th July 2013
Text confirming dispatch to HCI: 11th July 2013
Text confirming application under process: 13th July 2013
Text confirming certificate ready for pick-up: 16th July 2013

Navsandeep
Newly Registered

Help please with SC

Post by Navsandeep » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:49 pm

We live in south wales and have to travel to india urgently. I realised that have not surrender my indian passport since BC in january this year.

Ouch, too late for 90 day rule!

Now could some one help with my query. This forum seems t suggest that going to london personally may be quicker to get the SC.

However, we live in wales, would that be a problem.

The website is quite evasive. It says

"Applications will be accepted on all working days (Monday – Friday except public holidays) from 0830 hrs to 1430 hrs only at any of our India Visa Application Centres"

I know they work according to some form of jurisdiction. But is this for visa or everything. Otherwise our nearest one is cardiff but they may be too slow.

Thank you for your replies, will be grateful