ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

waiting the 12 months before BC and travel option

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

niteshj

waiting the 12 months before BC and travel option

Post by niteshj » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:21 am

I have 5 or so months left before I can apply for BC. But I really want to travel to a warm destination to get away from the cold. I've already travelled 3 months.

Are there any countries I can travel to without affecting my BC eligibility (besides NI, England, Scotland, Wales )

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:29 am

have you traveled for 3 months in the last 7 months? If yes, you are already on the borderline for the number of days you are allowed to be out of the UK in the last year.

krthk.s

Post by krthk.s » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 pm

Unless your travel out of the country is on Crown service or for compelling medical reasons, you will be putting your BC application at risk.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Thanks but that's not what I am asking

I am asking where can I go that won't add to my overseas days count while I'm still overseas. E. G. Dutch people can go to Suriname in south America without a passport because Suriname is Dutch territory

Obviously we have England, Scotland, Wales, NI BUT I want to travel to somewhere warm and nice.

E. Got going to Jersey. Will that add to overseas count? Isle of Mann, turks snd cocos, Bermuda.. basically all them termed British overseas territories

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:17 pm

The answer is not anywhere as the residential requirements say resident in the UK and NOT UK and British overseas territories

Residential requirements
To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have:

been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:45 pm

OK slightly related question but didn't want to start a new thread

once I apply for BC with check n send service, and wait for say a week, how can I travel overseas for the maximum time such that I come back in time. my career is being severely disrupted because I can't travel due to BC requirements. So can I:

1. apply BC, wait a week, then travel again for work for oseas client
2. redirect my uk mail to friend's house or give my friend's address in postal correspondence section of BC application. I live alone
3. if successful, my friend can tell me
4. eventually council will send me letter ... hopefully that can be redirected to my friend's house too and he can give me the ceremony date

this will give me 3 months travel time from the moment I apply to ceremony date. I'll most likely be back to UK every fortnight as my work related travel will be within mainland Europe ..

is this possible?

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 am

Any suggestions?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:50 pm

don't see any reason why you can't!
infact you don't need to wait for a week after submission of your application - you can submit you papers at NCS and catch the next plane/train/bus...
just ensure someone keeps an eye on your posts as UKBA may contact you should they require any additional information or clarification.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:48 pm

ban.s wrote:don't see any reason why you can't!
infact you don't need to wait for a week after submission of your application - you can submit you papers at NCS and catch the next plane/train/bus...
just ensure someone keeps an eye on your posts as UKBA may contact you should they require any additional information or clarification.
you need to be physically present in the UK on the day that the ukba (not NCS) receives your application. after that you are free to travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 pm

CR001 wrote:
ban.s wrote:don't see any reason why you can't!
you need to be physically present in the UK on the day that the ukba (not NCS) receives your application. after that you are free to travel.
That's not a requirement anymore unless the place of travel is Hong Kong or some British Overseas Territories. The receiving authority is now same (Home Secy) for both in country and out of country applications so physical presence is no longer a requirement.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks everyone
I wwas just worried they use special delivery, recorded mail, or couriers in which I or someone else will need to be physically present at the address to receive the mail

Suppose that only applies to passport applications

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:01 pm

I am happy to say I was successful!!

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 081#869081