ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Time outside the UK on business

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kiwireddevil
Newly Registered

Time outside the UK on business

Post by kiwireddevil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Hi,

I received ILR in December 2012 (after completing 5 years on Tier 1 HSMP, which followed 12 months on a working holiday visa). Since then I've taken a 3 week holiday in NZ, and have a further 10 days worth of overseas holidays booked this year.

Today my employer has asked me if I am available to spend 3 months working in the USA later this year, as we have signed a major new client there. This would mean that I would likely be outside the UK for 120-130 days this year, putting me over the 90 day limit for naturalisation, though I will be well under the 450 days in 5 years requirement.

I have had a look at the discretionary rules around absences in the final year on pages 8-9 here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Am I better off delaying my application a few months until 12+ months after the USA stint, or would I have a shot at getting an exemption under "exceptional career related absences"? I'm unmarried, and childless so have no family in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:38 am

lots of similar discussions - I believe the advise given is to not risk it. Can't really add more than that. More interesting is to hear from people in the same boat who have applied and been [un]successful but not too much of them around. Check my threads for some responses

I am in the same boat as you so I have no choice but to risk it - the affect of limited travel is killing my career. Will apply in mid-May

kiwireddevil
Newly Registered

Post by kiwireddevil » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:51 pm

niteshj wrote:lots of similar discussions - I believe the advise given is to not risk it. Can't really add more than that. More interesting is to hear from people in the same boat who have applied and been [un]successful but not too much of them around. Check my threads for some responses

I am in the same boat as you so I have no choice but to risk it - the affect of limited travel is killing my career. Will apply in mid-May
Cheers, I'll have a look around for the other similar discussions. Please keep us posted on how you get on.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:01 pm